Author Topic: long night wakings in 10 month old  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Nauvoo

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 43
    • Concrete Picture Frames
long night wakings in 10 month old
« on: January 05, 2016, 19:40:40 pm »
like 2 hr long night wakings, last night was just 1.5 hrs. 
DD's routine in more or less a nap every 3.5 hrs.  roughly
wake 7:30 (usually not this late but with such long night wakings she sleeps a bit longer.  we are used to 6am wake up)
nap 11 (we did have a 10:30 set nap time but she is just not tired enough to fall asleep then)  I usually wake her after 2hrs nap if she hasn't woken already.
nap 4:30 - 5  I have to get DD from the bus at 4 so she really can't go down before that.
Bed 8pm

Now this is ideal but it's not always this way.  Yesterday she had 1 nap, last satruday she had two short naps because of our family outing, and sunday she had a short nap at church in the morning and a 2.5 hr nap in the afternoon )followed by a 11.5hr night where she slept through completely.)  We are having these really long night wakings about 2 or 3 nights in a row and then one good night and then back to the grind!  This has been going on for about a week and a half now. 

Developmental? (I really hope so although past experience tells me this usually happens around birthdays.)
We are working on getting her to go down on her own for bedtime.  She is getting to the point where she is annoyed with sh/pat! :-\

She is teething but we keep her medicated when she is in pain and I really don't think the long night wakings are due to pain.  perhaps initially but not after 20min once the meds kick in.  She has been great over the last 3 days or so where we don't have to medicate her for teething pain during the day and these night wakings are still happening.

When she wakes she is usually WIDE awake!  I try literally everything to get her back to sleep but she is just still wide awake!
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

[url=http://concretepicture.wordpress.com]Concrete Picture
Frames[

Offline Kellyjs

• Showing Appreciation 80
Re: long night wakings in 10 month old
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 20:09:56 pm »
I'm so sorry your post was missed, please accept my sincerest apologies. I have no idea how that happened  :-[

How's things going now? I wonder if she's just having too much day sleep for her age now? Wdyt? How lomg has she been on this routine for?  Has she always been higher than average sleep needs dyt? I wonder if that one good night sleep was after a few bad ones and she was catching up? I presume that was a busy day or two as well?

As she's getting annoyed with ssh/pat, how do you feel about stretching your day a little? I was thinking of adding some more A time to the first A and actually I wonder if that last A is actually a little too long after a shorter nap, so we could reduce that one slightly. Sorry for all the questions, it just helps formulate a plan for you xx
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 20:25:29 pm by Kellyjs »

Offline Nauvoo

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 04:21:39 am »
the last two nights she hasn't had long night wakings, just 2 or 3 brief ones.  It is possible she is having too much day sleep, though the long night wakings seem to happen when she has a lot of day sleep and when she doesn't have much day sleep.  they are so sporadic!  She has always been on the higher side of the A times.  She will take a nice long nap for me with 3hr45min A time.

so by stretching our day are you thinking
wake 7 (ha, that never happens, this morning it was 8, tomorrow it will likely be 6 or earlier unless we have a really long night waking, which is completely possible)
nap 11 - ?  I usually give her 2 hrs.

I would super super super love help formulating a plan!
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

Frames[

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 07:18:14 am »
That's great, could you post what the last couple of days looked like?

I'm wondering if it might be an idea to shift it the other way and do a short morning CN, then a longer nap later on and that might be able to keep your 3hrs to BT? All I was thinking is that it's not unusual to have a 13-her long day, but if the long NW's have ceased we can just work with how the last couple of days looked like and take it from there? I would like to see what her average ONS is, with and without the NW's then that'll help us plan a day routine that'll be reasonable for you both xx

Offline Nauvoo

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 02:02:50 am »
Thanks so much.  She was up for an hour and a half lay night but I know she was OT!
I also really like the idea of a sorry morning nap and longer afternoon nap.  However I'm not sure she'd be tired sigh after only 3 hrs A time in the morning to take a nap without a lot of APOP! I suppose I won't know until I try.

Oh and, she woke at 7am this morning. Ha!  She took a 3 hr nap today so she'll go to bed OT and likely be up tonight.  But tomorrow is Saturday so maybe the weekends will be a good time to try a new routine.
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

Frames[

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 19:47:57 pm »
Wow epic nap! Let me know how it goes over the weekend. You could try 3.5hrs first A and cap the nap if you think that'll work better? Then it's a guessing game as to the next A. Have you done it this way round before to find an A time that *might work and give us something to go on? Xx

Offline Nauvoo

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 05:05:15 am »
She slept awesome last night!!!!!  11hrs without a peep!  that has not happened in a very long time.  crossing my fingers that it'll happen again.  3.5 hr A time does work well.  But so does a 4hr A time.  they both produce a long nap. This morning she took a 2.5 hr nap after a 4 hr A time.  I tried at 3:30 to get her down for another nap but I put her in her bed to early and she woke up so really she didn't nap.  I would really like to cap the nap in the morning (I was not at home to do this today) and then work from there.  It really is a guessing game for the next A time.  no better way to put it. 

This girl is soooooo different from my other two!!!!  my other two did not take such long naps and they were not even slightly close to as flexible with A times!    The other two were consistently rigid and DD3 is consistently unpredictable.
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

Frames[

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 09:05:42 am »
Yay!!!  :)

They like to keep us on our toes eh? One thing I have learned on here is that every single bubba is different. What works for one will not work for another!

Ok, so this is good to know. Would you mind posting what yesterday looked like in real time so we have that as a basis to work from? I would like to think she needs 3hrs daytime sleep and 11hrs ONS sleep, so 14hrs total.

With those epic morning naps I would think it'll still be difficult to encourage to have her take a CN in the afternoon. We are in the very early stages of the 2-1, but I'm reluctant to change it up now considering that produced such a good night sleep yk? But, then I don't think one nap would be sustainable quite yet. I wonder if we could do a mixture of the two until she's ready for just one nap? It's not very consistent but sometimes we have to wing it a little until their ready for one nap. WDyt?

We'll have to play around with the second version of the routine where we have one short nap then one lomg nap, but then perhaps when she does have a good ONS we push for a one nap day of an A time of 4hr+ first A to get in that long 3hr nap?? So I'm thinking maybe just a 20mins nap at say 3hrs A if she'll take it, then try for a longer nap 2hrs later perhaps? Hope for 2.5hrs or thereabouts. Again, this will take some tweaking, but it might be a start? Xx

From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 09:08:06 am by Kellyjs »

Offline Nauvoo

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 05:17:12 am »
I love the idea!  Love it!  Yesterday was:
Wake 5:50am
Nap 9:45 - 12:15
Nap 4- it took me forever to get her to close her eyes and then 5 min later she woke up when I lay her down
Bed 7pm

She woke 4 times briefly last night.  But it wasn't 2hrs!

She woke for the day at 6:30 today.

Wake 6:30
Nap at church 10:45-11:30
Nap 2:30 - 4 again took me ages to get her to close her eyes!
Bed 7:30

I have several school runs in the morning so I can't put her down for a nap before 10:45 tomorrow.  We'll see how the night goes.
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

Frames[

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 19:32:32 pm »
Looking good! Would be interested to hear how the night went with the second version of the routine  :) xx

Offline Nauvoo

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 04:18:20 am »
She slept amazing until 5am.  Tried to get her back to sleep was slightly successful but then she was awake at 5:37am for good.  Tough on her because she didn't go down for a nap until 10:30.  She went right down, in fact she fell asleep on the way home from taking DD to school. 
Wake 5:37am
nap 10:30-11:30
nap 2:30 - 3:30
Bed 7:45

For both bedtime and her second nap she was super super hard to get to sleep. OT for sure.  So I'm expecting an early morning.  Dare I say we are past the 2 hr long night wakings?  I would much rather deal with an early morning than a long NW.  Hoping tomorrow's routine is a bit more on track.  DD goes to school earlier tomorrow so hopefully that won't be an issue.  However a short am nap would be bad because I have an appt at 2:30 tomorrow that won't last long so  she'll have to have her pm nap after that.
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

Frames[

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 19:51:25 pm »
I'm still feeling UT for that second nap considering the first was an hour. BT might be a differnet story though as the day was quite long.

Hmmm, let's see how tomorrow goes for you, fingers crossed xx