Author Topic: Chronic EW  (Read 2901 times)

Offline *foxy*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 10
Chronic EW
« on: March 20, 2016, 06:09:56 am »
Hi

Our 22mo ds wakes every morning around 5.15 am. It's been going on for many many months.

Routine:
WU 5.15
Nap 12.30-2/2.30
BT 7 (usually asleep by 7.15)

Is his day too long? Or nap too long? We have a 5yr old dd so the school run is at 3pm. She's up before 6 every morning too. We're just tired and we're tired of being tired.
DS starts off on his bed but by 10.30/11pm hes in our bed and wakes at least twice during the night. We stay with him until he's asleep.

Do we need to work on independent sleep? Neither of our children are very good at sleeping on their own or should I say they prefer not to!
Any help much appreciated.TIA

*Kate*

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Chronic EW
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 12:41:52 pm »
Hey Hun, nice to 'see' you on here again but sorry things are still rough in the sleep department.

I do think independent sleep is probably the way to change things.  Routine to me looks fine (well not the WU time!  But nap time and length and bedtime is I think ok for this age, though it's a long day with that early start).

I imagine there is a degree of chronic OT here which is not helping from constant broken sleep.  But the main issue with independent sleep is that by the time LO wakes at 5.15 after 10 hours sleep the drive to go back isn't so strong, and with him needing you to settle I just think at this age having your presence at that time will be a drive to stay awake. 

If it were me, now would be the time I'd be gritting my teeth and getting on with getting him to sleep alone.  Probably using gradual withdrawal and reinforcing night time using a gro clock or similar. Is it something you are ready for?  Happy to help with a plan if so x

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 12:45:08 pm »
Agree with Katherine. I think tackling independent sleep is the way to go.

How does he go to sleep for naps?

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 18:08:27 pm »
Thank you Katherine and Shiv. Totally ready for more independent sleep. DD was never a good sleeper and still wakes now so we've had our fair share of night time waking! We have a go clock so I'm happy to use that too.

For naps we stay with him until he's asleep and sometimes I'm so tired that I nap with him!

His room is tiny so it'll be very quick until we're outside his room. He's in a single bed with a cot side which we don't usually put up until he's asleep.  I can't imagine he'll like having that up whilst we're tackling independent sleep but be might try to get out of bed. What do you think is best - put it up when he goes to bed or keep it down but we might have to keep putting him back to bed?

Oh and do we need a catch up day or anything to help with the chronic OT? Or will that just complicate things?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 18:56:59 pm by *foxy* »

*Kate*

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 13:14:42 pm »
I'd put the side up if it were me - unless currently you are cuddling or something else that would be hard with it there?  May need to go more gradual if so, but I would be aiming to get the side up in that case as soon as you can. Him getting out will only make it harder I think...

I wouldn't bother with a catch up, I think independent sleep will be the thing that helps the tiredness the most x

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 11:44:26 am »
My gut would be to put it up or likely it'll turn into a battle of return to bed and you'll end up putting it up anyways! I'd have it up and be beside and reassure. I imagine it'll be calmer that way.

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 21:16:10 pm »
Thank you so much to both of you for your replies - it's very much appreciated. Haven't got very far with independent sleep for a couple of reasons. Being away over Easter and he's had a very bad cough and cold which has meant he's been clingy. Bonus with the clocks going forward in that he's waking around 6.30-6.45 without us having to do anything! Trying to keep his daytime sleep down as I'm sure him napping too long affects his night time sleep (obviously) Also making sure he's not going to bed too early as I'm keen to keep WU around 6.30 if possible.
Next thing is to tackle independent sleep.......

*Kate*

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 06:41:59 am »
Let us know when you are ready, will be here to cheer you along x

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 19:31:36 pm »
How's he getting on?  Recovering I hope?

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 19:16:32 pm »
Yes much better thanks. Need to make a start now really........

*Kate*

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 05:42:47 am »
When you're ready :) no time like the present though!

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 18:42:57 pm »
Too true! He's only napped for 30 mins for the last 3 days so bt has been tricky! Hoping to have a quieter day tomorrow so that he can catch up a bit. We had one great night  (Tues) when he only woke once and OH resettled in his own bed and he stayed there until 6.30am! :o
Total fluke though as last night was rubbish :(

*Kate*

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 05:39:03 am »
Hi. He's still waking very very early. Today it was 4.50! We're knackered.
His current routine is
WU 5-5.30
Nap 12-2 (ish) it's usually 1.5-2 hours.
BT 7 (we bring it forward if needed)

He's at the CM twice a week and usually naps 1.30-3
The in laws have him once a week and mess his nap up every time. He had 20 mins all day the last time they had him despite me asking that they make sure they give him a good nap as it keeps happening and only makes things worse but that's a separate issue atm!

Can you help? We're still staying with him until he's asleep. He's wide awake at 5 and ready to get up but we try not to until 6

*Kate*

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 18:35:23 pm »
Did you get anywhere with the cot side?  I think independent sleep is the way forward if you want to get out of this.  I just don't think there's any reliable routine advice I could give at this stage that would 'fix' things without knowing he was able to settle alone.  Are you feeling ready for that at the moment?

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 19:21:25 pm »
I don't think we have a choice tbh. Haven't got anywhere with the cot side - he freaks out when it's up at BT. OH holds his hand until he's asleep - we can try stopping that first then slowly moving away? His room is tiny so it'd be very quick until he is outside his room

*Kate*