Author Topic: Feeding to sleep & 45 min naps for 5 month old  (Read 6066 times)

Offline NattysMom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Feeding to sleep & 45 min naps for 5 month old
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 15:07:10 pm »
I feed from one side only at each feed, very rarely she'll have the second, sometimes before bed which is when she eats the most. I use the same side for the top up, I will try the massage.

She only had short naps yesterday and didn't eat much. Last night she was up more than normal to eat again. I was thinking growth spurt since she's rolling both ways and sitting up this week but she's eating less during the day so that's seems weird.

Recap of 2 nights ago:

NF 1215
NF 150
NF 515, Finally back to sleep around 7

Yesterday's day:

WU 830 not hungry

E 910 didn't eat much
A
E 1030 top up - refused a couple times then finally ate more, wanted to sleep
A 2h30
S 11-1140

A
E 1245 barely ate
A 2h
S 140-220

E 230 Ate ok
A
E 340 top up - refused 3X
A 2h10
S 430-515

A
E 6
A 2h15
E 7
BT 730

Woke at 925 to eat so skipped DF at 1015

NF 1210
NF 330
woke up at some point but went back to sleep
NF 6 wouldn't go back to sleep until 7

Today so far:

WU 8 not hungry
A
E 925 fell asleep eating so woke her up
Won't bother with top up since she ate decent and so late after waking
First nap will be at 1030
Rachel          ~ 🌷🌼 Natalie Aurora 💗 May 2017 🌼🌷 ~

Offline NattysMom

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2017, 01:26:36 am »
Here is how today went, still getting short naps. She ate better, I think she's distracted and not taking full feeds. We went through distracted eating at 4 months, we made some changes and she got better but now she's doing it again! Top ups were closer to main feed because she was eating about an hour after each wake up. Naps were all 40/45. We're still doing the 2h30 for the first awake time. I also tried feeding more before bed since she eats better at this time so hopefully tonight won't have so many wake ups.

NF 1210
NF 330
NF 6 Back to sleep at 7ish

WU 8 not hungry yet

E 925
A 2h40
S 1040-1120 didn't seem sleepy for nap maybe bc she kinda slept during feed?

A
E 1220  very hungry; ate decent
A whiny (tired?)
E 1250 top up; sleepy
A 2h05
S 125-2 stroller

A
E 315
A
E 345 top up
A 2h30 lengthened by poop
S 430-515 (went down fussy,  prob OT)

A
E 525
A 2h15
E 640
BT 730

DF will be at 1015/1030 if she doesn't wake up before that

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2017, 09:14:57 am »
She might need more A time, those are all UT naps. How old is she now? Has she ever slept a long (1hr+) nap?

Offline NattysMom

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2017, 14:18:11 pm »
She is 5m and 10 days.  She has done long naps but only a few times a month. Since starting the 2h30 A time in the morning she had a 1hr25 on Saturday, 1hr30 on Sunday and 1hr50 on Tuesday. But only short ones the last few days. Before that the last time was 2hr on Sept 14. The first day doing 2h30 A time was hard for her and she was OT but after that she wasn't as tired. She has always been able to stay awake the max for the most part. I'll see how 2h45 A time before first nap goes for a few days.

Offline becj86

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2017, 19:53:06 pm »
Since starting the 2h30 A time in the morning she had a 1hr25 on Saturday, 1hr30 on Sunday and 1hr50 on Tuesday. But only short ones the last few days. Before
This is a good sign she needs a bit more A time, so that's reasonable to try more.

Wondering why you think she's not eating much? Sometimes when you feed like this and LO knows when the next feed is, they just get on with it and are more efficient. Is she seeming contented between feeds and still making enough wet nappies? If so, she's prpbably taking enough milk in.

Offline NattysMom

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2017, 02:09:39 am »
She's been doing longer A times the last 2 days with no problem, but still short naps.

Her night feedings are back to normal for the most part except in the early morning hours she wants to stay up for an hour or more.

Sometimes she only eats for 2 mins, she'll get to let down and it's too much to handle so she pulls off. Or sometimes she will make it just past the let down but then needs a break after only 3 or 4 mins and doesn't want more. She can barely make it 3 hours between feeds. She just eats way longer (8-20 mins) before bed and during the dreamfeed and night feeds when she's more focused on eating. I guess she could be more efficient during the day and slower and sleepy at night?

I'll try not to worry about it for now, she'll be weighed on Monday so we'll see where she's at. The last dr appt she had dropped from 15th to 3rd percentile for weight and she's a small skinny baby so Ive been worrying about her eating enough.

Offline NattysMom

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2017, 16:33:47 pm »
She had a very long A time before bed last night because we were at a family dinner and she wouldn't nap there so maybe that is the reason she woke up 6 times from BT to WU!!

Anyway this is the reason I thought I had a feeding to sleep issue and she was doing this very often when I originally wrote this post:

She woke up at 830am (she ate last at 7am) so she didn't seem hungry until 10am. She ate until let down for 1-2 mins then pulled off and didn't want anymore. Tried again at 1020, wouldn't eat, was fussy every time I sat down to feed her but acting hungry; offered both sides at 1040 but refused; pooped so thought maybe that's why she wouldn't eat but still wouldn't.
Started wind down for nap at 1110
She ate a full feed at 1115 When she knew she was about to nap; immediately had her eyes closed and was fed to sleep

Offline becj86

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2017, 21:24:51 pm »
Ok, sounds like she is not liking that letdown - have you tried lying back when you feed her? Check out biological nurturing - just google it :)

Offline NattysMom

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2017, 03:37:14 am »
When she was younger she would have a really hard time with letdown (pulling off choking), she's much better now. When she pulls off I hand express it into a cloth until it calms down. I've experimented with all breastfeeding positions and laid back is the one we use. Lately she's wanted to try straddle position but we have a hard time making it work comfortably. I just don't understand why she is fine with it some of the time, especially when she's half asleep she handles it better. I feel like I can never figure out what the problem is because it's so inconsistent and that we've tried everything.

Offline NattysMom

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2017, 20:39:49 pm »
She's been better with eating the past 2 days since it's been working out that she eats when she wakes.

With 2h45 first A yesterday she had a 1h30 nap in the morning and today had a 2h nap in the afternoon (woke on her own) so I'm also dropping the 3rd catnap today and she'll have an earlier BT. Today after the morning 45 min nap she had 2h20 A time. Maybe we can get to 2 long naps every day and she won't need the 3rd nap anymore.  She still doesn't seem very tired before the 1st nap, should I try 3h for the first A time?

Offline becj86

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2017, 03:13:02 am »
Maybe we can get to 2 long naps every day and she won't need the 3rd nap anymore. 
Yep, this is about the age for it.

If you think she can do 3hr , definitely worth trying. Given she's doing a 45min nap off 2:45 that's pretty reasonable.

Offline NattysMom

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2017, 15:07:21 pm »
I’m still having short naps issues, it’s been almost a month since adjusting the first morning awake time. About half the time she’ll take a longer nap ranging from 1h10-2h. Half are in the morning and half are in the afternoon.

My new problem is she wakes up at night, she’ll eat very little so she’s probably not very hungry since it’s usually her second waking and she is wide awake for about 1.5 hours. It can be at midnight, 3 or 5am. She also was doing only 1 NW/NF for a while which was lovely so I’m wondering where that went. She has done this every night for the past 7 days. Before that it was 5 out of 10 days with 2 NF but she would go right back to sleep. We started solids 8 days ago so I’m guessing its related? She has a small amount in the morning after her first feed.

Sometimes she will sleep until 8am after being up in the night but sometimes she’s up earlier and gets tired very early so she can’t do the 3h first awake time, barely 2h. So our WU, naps and BT are being affected as well.

Will she grow out of this soon!? I’m like a zombie, going to bed at 8pm tonight.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2017, 21:54:37 pm »
Hi there NattysMom
How are things now?  If you are still having difficulties and need support can I suggest you start a new thread as your LO is a month older now and the situation has likely changed quite a bit.