Author Topic: 5 mo old not taking last nap!  (Read 9912 times)

Offline Aimi

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 5 mo old not taking last nap!
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2019, 06:13:53 am »
It's not easy to know but for us, screaming and refusing sleep is UT. If she gets ot she screams a little bit but does fall asleep quite easily within 10min. Your atimes does seem short to me. You could search here for signs of needing more atime and see what you think. That's how I learned to see the signs. Don't remember all but for us it's shortening if the morning nap and naprefusal 🙂 Have you looked at the average atimes? that helps too.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2019, 12:58:52 pm »
Yes her A times are short...I guess I figured bc she was born a month early and also clocks on the high side of total sleep, and her fussing around the 1.5 hour mark, that she needed these slightly shorter A times.

Last night she slept until 5:30 am had a feed but woke up around 6 which is on the early side since she usually does 11.5-12 hour nights.

Maybe it is a UT/OT loop. Bc I just tried 2 hour A and she woke at 25 but easily resettled. Do people usually stretch all A tubes or one nap at a tine?
Jennifer xx

Offline Aimi

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2019, 13:50:18 pm »
I don't know what's best but we do all at one time, but we take away some time after a short nap. I know that it can take a few days for them to get used to the new atime so if you want to try, hold for 3 days before changing, that's the advice we got and it always worked for us! They can get some ot naps at first but you should be able to see results in three days if short atime is the problem.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2019, 20:05:32 pm »
I’ll give 2 hours of A a go. Today I got two broken naps so far (one was 1:22 after 2 hrs A; the other was 1:10 after 1:40A)
Jennifer xx

Offline Aimi

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2019, 20:17:12 pm »
Ok, crossing my fingers it'll work for you! Keep me posted!

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2019, 01:08:06 am »
So last nap was after 2:15 A bc of my DS disruption and she napped for 1.75. We put her down for bed after 2hrs, she slept 30 minutes and is still up after almost 1.5 hours.

This has never happened. Does this sound like OT?
Jennifer xx

Offline Aimi

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2019, 05:22:46 am »
Oh, that  never happened to us so i don't know really what it means.. 30 min usually means ot if they wake up unhappy. but what do you mean she is still up? Is she unhappy and seems tired or just awake and refusing sleep?

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2019, 11:06:25 am »
She was fussy and seemed tired. Definitely not smiling as she usually is.  She finally went to sleep at 9:30 pm. I nursed her and she still didn’t fall asleep so not sure what that was about.
Jennifer xx

Offline Aimi

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2019, 12:23:32 pm »
No ideas I'm afraid, hopefully it was a one-off.. ::) when my girls have been overtired, they have never done that but I don't know what it means. My DD2 is behaving really weirdly right now, she's frustrated about something and unhappy but can be really happy aswell and I don't know what it is, every now and then I feel like a huge questionmark it seems... 🤔 will be interesting to see how your today goes!

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2019, 14:26:30 pm »
I’m assuming it was OT from the longer A times and longer day. She was crying off and on. I also think she’s teething and trying to roll over so yea lots of things. I decided to stick to first A of 2 hours because she gave me a 1.5 hour nap yesterday despite waking up at 35 minutes but that’s not new. She isn’t sleep trained yet and doesn’t connect sleep cycles for naps only at night.
Jennifer xx

Offline Aimi

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2019, 16:11:03 pm »
Ok. Yeah I'm thinking something developmental is going on with mine aswell, she started rolling over today. Seems to be affecting naps but not nightsleep (touch wood!) Keep me posted on how things go!

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2019, 18:01:51 pm »
Well I just don’t know lol

Yesterday she had one good nap in the am and bad naps for the day due to a bbq which is fine. We did an early bedtime and she slept from 7-8:45 am

I put her down for her first nap at 1:40 bc she was acting tired and she gives me a 35 minute nap but wakes up happy and unable to resettle.

I put her down after her acting cranky (or maybe being outside?) after 1.5. She fell asleep at 1:45A woke st 25 minutes i resettled quickly woke up at 1 hr mark happy and hungry (3.5 hrs after her last feed)

Her feeding times were off so I fed closer to her first nap (AEASAS) so It could have been a one off with her waking up after only an hour. She’s 5 months and 4 weeks.

Jennifer xx

Offline Aimi

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2019, 20:12:49 pm »
I still think from looking at that it seems to be UT. Even if she was early she's 5 months now right? So 2 to 2,30h average atime. I also read you can't rely on tired signs anymore at this age. And sometimes they need to be pushed but gently. When my DD2 is really tired I walk around (inside) with her in a sling, it's kind of a quiet prewind down which gets her calm. I don't have any other advice, would be interesting to hear someone elses opinion.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2019, 14:05:22 pm »
Those are great suggestions. I think you’re right it is UT. She had an off weekend bc we were out of town. She caught up with a 3 hour nap and a bedtime 2 hours after that. Woke up at around 6:40. She got cranky at around 1:40A so I gently pushed to closer to 2A by holding her and slowing down wind down. She fell asleep within two minutes at almost 2 hrs (1:55 to be exact). She had a bit of restless sleep tossing and turning and napped 1:15 not crying but content.

Is a 1:15 nap still signaling UT you think? I know for my DS 1:15 sometimes meant OT but I doubt she’s overtired bc she barely did 2 hours before her nap.

I’m also wondering if she’s ready to weaning off her swaddle 🧐
Jennifer xx

Offline Aimi

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2019, 08:12:33 am »
Yes I think it's still UT, might not be a problem if everything else is fine.  How's the last nap going now?

I don't know about the swaddle, I have never used it, it's not common in Sweden but I did try on DD2 a few times and she screamed bloody murder so I gave up.. 🙂

I think there's some info on here about when to wean the swaddle though