Author Topic: 5 mo old not taking last nap!  (Read 9913 times)

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
Re: 5 mo old not taking last nap!
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2019, 14:08:08 pm »
Hi!

Chaos lol

She’s definitely teething and going through her leap so can’t tease out this from needing more tweaking. Nights are better with medication. She will wake up once but gets resettled easily a couple hours after bedtime then does 1-2 NF early morning hours.

Naps are crazy! Lol she’s now 6.5 months old and I’m thinking she might need a push. Currently we are doing 2-2.25 A. So yesterday:

WU 7 am
S 9:20-11:03 am (woke at 40 took 10 minutes to resettle)
S 1:14-1:43 pm ( A 2:11; would not resettle but was smiley)
S 3:45-4:58 pm (A 2:02; woke at 30 took 10 minutes; woke happy)
BT 7 pm (NW around 10:30; NF at 4 am)

Up today at 7 am; tried nap for 9:15 fell asleep at 9:20; woke at 9:50 smiling and not going back to sleep)

Maybe UT?

How are you doing?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 20:33:05 pm by JennVanessa1083 »
Jennifer xx

Offline Aimi

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2019, 11:41:50 am »
We've had chaos aswell due to teething but when she's awake, VERY cranky and unhappy. Unfortunately it coincided with a heatwave so haven't been able to take her outside much which is the best distraction otherwise 🙄 she has been sleeping more during the day and needing a lot less atime but now one tooth is out we seem to be back to normal, just waiting for the second one now..😬

Lexi just turned 6 months. What's your LOs name? We just started solids yesterday and she's waving appelsauce around the kitchen, not sure she's actually swallowing any cause she pushes it out with her tounge. How's solids working for you?

Still seems UT to me 🙂 we're at about 2,55h now

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2019, 14:16:32 pm »
Ahhhh teething can be soooo hard for everyone. I’m glad you’re half way there with one tooth out. I can see her teeth right under the guys so hoping for them to cut soon. Nights are still going well with some medicine. She did a 13.5 hour night!! Probably from all the bad naps yesterday and teething.

Her name is Aria :-) she started solids very slowly but seems to love it so far especially when I put a tiny bit of BM. She’s definitely a purée girl thus far. My son was more into BLW. Every baby is different!

So today I put her down after a 2.5 A bc she was not tired at all from the long night. We will see how this nap goes. If she gives me a good nap should I just go for 2.5 for the second nap or go by signs. I also feel like her signs can be confused with boredom or needing a new scene. So hard to tell!!
Jennifer xx

Offline Aimi

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2019, 19:49:57 pm »
Still waiting for the second tooth but she's not quite so bothered right now. She keeps pushing her chin out and running her tongue over the tooth like what the hell is this in my mouth, must be so weird for them! Looks hysterical 😊

I love that name, beautiful! Nice night! Mine does both 13 hours and 11,5h depending on bedtime since the naps vary so much and we're in the middle of 3:2 🙄

Well I think today she actually swallowed some food so we're making progress 😊

I don't know what will work for you but we don't usually go by signs, just times cause the signs didn't work for us, she could yawn and look really tired but if we put her to bed to early she'd do a 40min nap or just fight going down. I'm experimenting a bit now with keeping the first a 10 min shorter but everything is a bit all over the place now so not quite sure if that's right. I read that some babies prefer that and some longer first so I guess they don't have to be the same.

Is she still fighting the last nap?

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2019, 14:43:33 pm »
Lol awwwww so cute! First tooth! They are so adorable when they get their first one!

Yay for solids progress! I’ll admit I haven’t been pushing solids too much. Still at one meal a day. I plan on calling the pediatrician to see when I can transition to 2 meals. She’s a premie and is about 5% in height and weight so her stomach is tinier. My concern is overstuffing her with solids and replacing milk which is not what is supposed to happen at this age.

Well she’s not fighting her last nap anymore bc her naps are stuck at 35 minutes smh.

I can sometimes stretch the first or the second but it takes ages. For example today took about a half hour on the first nap.

I’m doing between 2:20/2:25A but I think you are right she’s still UT. Traditionally 40-45 minute naps indicate UT so that’s what’s confusing bc she’s stuck at 35 and will be content. I doubt she’s OT bc nights are still solid at 12 hours sometimes 13 hours.

Maybe a UT/OT loop?

I’ve lost touch with what’s the average A. She’s always been on the higher sleep needs end of it needing lower A times but I’m wondering if I’m just needing to very slowly push? You could be right about first A being the shortest but maybe overall she needs a push.

She’s getting cranky at 2hours but we have been at around this A for about a month.

Again she is teething and going through this endless leap so it’s hard to tease out the cause lol
Jennifer xx

Offline Aimi

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2019, 16:39:47 pm »
Tried to feed her applesauce at the park today..not the greatest idea I've had...😳 it was everywhere 😆

Her weight gain has slowed down a bit and they said it was common around 6 months and that she probably needs more than breastmilk so I'm quite eager to get her to eat. She happily eats every 2 hours and gets really upset if it's 3..so I think she needs more but I don't want to rush her either.

I thoght mine was ot but figured out when I clocked her she had a shorter sleepcycle, it's 38min and I was roughly calculating when she fell asleep and realised it was a bit earlier than I thought (as soon as she hit the bed) so what I thought were ot naps were actually ut naps!

Mine gets cranky around 2h aswell but is fine if you entertain her, that's not a tired sign from her, she rubbes her eyes when she's tired. I found I need to up her A every 2 weeks at least, sometimes 1,5 weeks.

I have this written down in a note..
Late 5 months/early 6 months 2 hours 30 mins - 3hours
6.5 - 7 months 2 hours 45 mins - 3 hours 15 mins. Some are getting more.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2019, 13:19:55 pm »
How is she doing with solids. I upped Arias solids to twice a day b she was showing me signs. But the last two days she wants solids and a top up it seems. She’s low birth weight so I try not to withhold food so she can gain.

Good points on the sleep front

I’m still trying out the 2.5ish A. She cried today before her nap falling asleep closer to 2:40A and only napped for 20 minutes and I couldn’t get her back down.

Yesterday she gave me only 35 minutes. I’m definitely in the 3-2 bc I am faced with too long of a day or too long of an A before bed.

Yesterday;
WU 6:15 am
S 8:50-9:25 (wouldn’t resettle)
S 11:47-2 pm (woke her; she woke at the 50 mark hungry then I resettled)
S 4:25-5 pm
BT 7 pm (cried before bed)

I got a NW at 1.75 after bed; 2 NF at 12:30 am; 5:15 am
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 14:01:43 pm by JennVanessa1083 »
Jennifer xx

Offline Aimi

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2019, 11:15:08 am »
Well, I think she's doing quite well, we're doing three times a day now and I've started increasing the amount since she opens her mouth for more 🙂 I'm not quite sure how much of it actually makes it in to her though as a lot seems to be in her face and unfortunately her hair..😳 she's not gaining as quickly and is up every 2,5-3 hours at night so I'm thinking she might need more calories, will se if the increased solids will help cause I'm going a bit crazy with these nights..migjt be a growth spurt I guess. She weighs about 7 kilos now and was 3,5 at birth. How about Aria? She seems to be lasting well at night!

We're also in the 3:2 facing the same problem, and when I put her to bed early she wakes up earlier aswell (yay) and then the next day gets even more screwed up. 🤯

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2019, 14:36:05 pm »
Oh no!! Do you think she’s going through a growth spurt?

We are still doing 2 meals a day about 2 tablespoons at each meal. Thinking of transitioning to BLW since I got the ok from the pediatrician. Should be interesting since she’s not quite there in her grabbing skills and loves to eat lol

We got 2NW last night. I fed at both and she settled quickly for the first one at 11:30 but then at 4:30ish she took about a half hour to fall asleep again. Then my DH told me she woke up again at 5:30 fell back asleep at 6 then was in and out until about 7:30 am.

We did two long naps yesterday on 2.5-2.75 A then 2.25 to bed. She fell asleep rather quickly but maybe too little A? It was an 11 hour day.
Jennifer xx

Offline Aimi

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2019, 15:04:00 pm »
I think (and hope) so, she seems hungry all the time! But last night she did 2 4hour streches at least. I'm thinking I should start adding protein and fat to her foods so she'll get more calories. So far she's only getting fruit and rootvegetables. What foods are you giving Aria?

Yay for the long naps! 😀 but NW are no fun. 😳 The other night L woke up 2,20 after her dreamfeed and I thought that she can't be hungry so I tried to put her back for half an hour but then she started trying to eat me so I gave up and fed her. Don't know if our NWs are hunger or not but  for now I just feed her..🙄

I'm wondering if the 3:2 and difference in how long tve days are is resulting in NWs, it's certanly confusing for L. When we do 2 naps she usually wake up after 30min as if it was a catnap..

We do the same A before bed or a little longer since we did that accidentaly once and it worked very well. Just try and see what happens!