Author Topic: grrrrr  (Read 4041 times)

Offline lisi's mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 155
grrrrr
« on: January 12, 2007, 11:50:15 am »
I think this is more of a vent than earstwhile plea for help, BUT:

why is it that foods dd loved just yesterday are point blank refused today?
why is it that she says yummm any time I go near the fridge but refuses to try what I offer her?
why is it that she is trying to climb in to her high chair and making hungry noises but won't eat a bite, no matter what I offer her, be it from my plate or her own?
And worst of all, why is it that a 14mo can be even more stubborn than her Mummy?

What to do?

She always has porridge for breakfast, but wouldn't touch it today, I finally gave in after 2 hours and gave her a piece of bread and butter. At lunch time she didn't want the cream cheese and ham concoction I know she loves, wouldn't touch the polenta, ate about 3 bites of my lunch and a 1/6 of a banana. Now I'm really wondering if she should get her afternoon milk or will it just lead her to not eating dinner?

I don't like this  >:( does someone want a small child going free to a good home?
Katie

Offline Sylvia.

• Showing Appreciation 232
Re: grrrrr
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 11:57:07 am »
she is beautiful

i can so relate, i hate taking the time preparing all this wonderful food and i hate the shopping i did to buy the food as well not to mention the money it cost

hang in there
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 12:03:30 pm by RUSSYL »

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 11:58:41 am »
Sure Katie, come drop her off... you know she'll eat for someone else  ;)

{{{{hugs}}}  Remember, she won't starve herself.  :-*

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline lisi's mum

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 12:07:34 pm »
No I keep telling myself that, but why does she keep making hungry noises if she isn't, the nasty little tease?

I refuse to let her live off white bread and butter. I guess she's just not hungry enough!
Katie

Offline estherofi20

• Showing Appreciation 158
  • my gorgeous babies
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 12:43:08 pm »
Katie, {{{{HUGGS}}}}

p.s. yesterday i gave Paul for breakfast a french toast, with peanut butter and jelly, and he finished all of it :o (he never does when i just put honey) perhaps she will like that? :-\

Offline yaya

• Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 19:24:44 pm »
KATIE HI! WE R GOING THROUGH SIMILAR THINGS, I REALLY PUT IT DOWN TO TEETHING AS DS USED TO BE A REALLY GOOD EATER AND NOW HE DOES THE SAME AS LISI GRRRRR MY PED SAID GIVE HIM WHAT HE LIKES TO EAT AND DONT INSIST. tHERE ARE SOME SACHETS CALLED 'RINFORZA' WHICH SHE GAVE ME, THEY BASICALLY CONSTITUTE  A MEAL SO IF SHES NOT EATEN WELL ALL DAY THEN ONE OF THOSE WILL ESURE SHE GETS WHAT SHE NEEDS. IS SHE STILL HAVING MILK? T SUDDENLY DECIDED HE LOVES HIS MILK AGAIN SO PED ALSO SAID LET HIM HAVE  AS MUCH AS HE WANTS TILL PHASE PASSES

HTH

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 23:01:48 pm »
All you can do is put the food in front of them and they decide if they will eat it.  I would offer the meal or snack and if she eats it fine and if not then she waits until the next meal/snack time.  Just be sure to always offer healthy choices. And as much as you may think other wise she will not starve herself.

Offline yaya

• BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 13:40:19 pm »
how r u getting on katie? Today I made T marinated chicken and potato chips....stupidly gave them together and SURPRISE! he onyl ate the chips!! And he LOVES chicken!
Do u have the annabel karmel book? It has some great recipes, T was a good eater and has suddenly become picky and i find her recipes he seems to like

HTH

Offline lisi's mum

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 16:22:09 pm »
just bought the rinforza, thanks for the tip. So far she's refused to drink it though  ::)

yesterday I managed to get a bowl of barley soup into her (which she's refused today) today she's had 300 ml milk, 3 bites of porridge and 2 satsumas. All I can think of is that she's got an upset stomach like dh, but it really is driving me mad!

I've almost given up making recipes just for her - she just won't eat them most of the time! The only thing that always works is cold pasta with nothing on it  :P

Ugh.
Katie

Offline yaya

• BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 16:57:17 pm »
I'd go with whatever works at the mo, saves u going mad and at least shes eating. I fidn with T if he doesnt fancy whatever I offer and I try to do something else which i know he likes, he has lost interest and cant be bothered!!
the rinforza can go in the milk ;)
try putting pastina in the soup? at least its extra carbs.

Offline pvilantay

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 20:10:05 pm »
DS is almost 15 months and I'm going throu the same...so I totally feel your frustration......I've even cried about this. especially when I make an extra effort to cook tasty/healthy meals that  I swear he'll love....I don't know what else to do ..my brain is fried...I spend at least 1 hour at each meal time ..and then all the cleaining I have to do because most of the food ends on the floor...I don't look forward to meal times... Today I gave him  strawberry shake and scramble eggs and bread for breakfast and he didn't like it ...then I gave him peanut butter on a toast (something that he always like) and he only ate 3 pieces....
Patricia
Mom of Eros      10/15/05

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 04:09:31 am »
Katie,

Was Lisi a really good eater to start with?  I'm thinking she was?  Nello was and then went super picky 2 months ago and I thought, oh no, here we go.  I made all his fave's, he even turned up his nose to pasta, which he loved.  I got really down and of course his sleeping was off.  It was a real low point for us.  Then he got all those teeth in that time.  At one point when the eye teeth were coming and he had a cold, he only ate yoghurt or cheese.  Now, he is back to normal and eats loads again.  Of course he has his toddler quirks and picky-ness, but all his fave's have returned, well, except for bananas?!   Is it possible she is due for her molars and eye teeth?  ((((HUGS))))

Aisling x

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 05:39:35 am »
I would SO trade you, but I think we'd be swapping twins!!! 

I have absolutely no suggestions, my dear, but I think you know that I'm struggling right along with you.

Big hugs cuz I know how stressful it can be!   :-*
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline yaya

• BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 12:03:05 pm »
hmmm everyone whith babes this age seems to be having the same prob? Maybe aside from the teething etc its an attention thing? My ped said this to me, that at this age they realise u worry if they dont eat and get A LOT of attention from u at mealtimes. I def think this is the case with T altho he is a lot less hungry than he used to be

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 13:14:43 pm »
YaYa and all, that is why I think the teething is really the main culprit.  With us, the worst was nearly 2 months before the actual last teeth came out, (4 molars and 4 eye teeth) then his appetite was off and on, as each tooth came.  It started getting better once the bottom 4 came and I was relieved and then it went really downhill until the 4 top cut. (lowest point in our experience with him.) I remember trying to eat crunchy food when I was getting my wisdom teeth in--ouch, so can you imagine your molar area being so sore for these LO's?  Of course my theory still stands that they had to be very good eaters before the teething episode for it to return and of course it will be less as they are toddlers now.  Although, I find Nello's milk has went down but his food way up, recently he is a horse. It always felt like he was testing me and that it was behavioural, then I realised the reoccurring pattern with him.  Teething does a number on him, he has a touchy, highly emotional side.  Even with his first tooth at 4 months, I didn't know what the heck was going on, my boob monster-- he was refusing my breast?!  Was it to early for him to not want boob?  Then a few days later---a tooth.  I went back to this time and remembered my feelings and the disappointment and hurt it created and decided to relax and just wait it out (and drank loads of wine;-) ). Of course, some of you may have always had LO's with eating issues or have a way to go with teething, Im here for you!  I really feel for you ladies, it is depressing.  I love to cook and eat.  I took it so personally, especially because he changed it seemed overnight, I was crushed.  I started blaming DH's family as they are all picky eaters, it really brought the worst out of me and probably because I  was so sleep deprived too.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel and I am so much happier now, please may this happen for all of you soon.  ((((HUGS))))

Aisling x

ps. it is such a vicious cycle as food=sleep for us and with him not being rested it also affected his appetite even more, he does not eat well when tired--eeek, it was rough!  2 yr molars come when he is 2 pleeeeeease!