Author Topic: Ages and Amounts of Formula  (Read 98494 times)

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
Re: Ages and Amounts of Formula
« Reply #135 on: March 05, 2007, 20:11:39 pm »
Could it be that a night feed is too close to the 7am feeding?

What times is he waking for a feed at night?
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline mamma1976

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #136 on: March 05, 2007, 21:44:01 pm »
anytime between 3-4am and then he takes sometimes 2 oz sometimes 2.5 oz. DO you think I should reduce amount?

Offline jillie

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #137 on: March 07, 2007, 16:50:50 pm »
my baby is 3 weeks old and i am struggling with bottle feeding. sometimes she only eats 30-40 ml, sometimes 120ml. She feeds every 2.5 - 3 hours. Anyone got any ideas to get her lasting 4 hours? How do I know she is hungry and not just tired or windy. How can I stimulate her so doesnt fall straight asleep after feed?

new mum to Bethan

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #138 on: March 07, 2007, 19:24:01 pm »
Mamma1976 - I would keep the amount that your lo is taking the same, for the night feed, it might be worthwhile giving him a few minutes after he wakes up and see if he will take any more.  He may not be ready to eat as soon as he wakes up.

Jillie, at 3 weeks it is quite common for a lo to only go 2.5 hours to 3 hours per feed.  It is only around 4 months that they start going 4 hours between feeds.  Also at such a young age, you would not expect her to have much A time after a feed, the maximum you would need is to have a nappy change and then put her down for her nap.

Offline jillie

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #139 on: March 08, 2007, 08:53:09 am »
Thank you - it really heklps reading the advice people give, as I am definitely still learnig the ropes!! My mum is down today so she will give me lots of help.

:)

Offline mamma1976

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #140 on: March 08, 2007, 16:23:56 pm »
thank you

Offline PandaBean

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
    • My Blog!
« Reply #141 on: April 04, 2007, 00:27:18 am »
I'm new to the boards, and motherhood, and have heard some very good guidelines that I haven't read on this thread yet.  My MIL is a cRN working in post-partum mother/baby care (how lucky could I get!) and she says the amount guidelines are 2-3oz per pound of weight for total daily intake.

Also, my current question is how to know when to move up to a faster nipple?  My Amelia is still using slow flow nipples and doesn't seem to get frustrated, but sometimes she'll take only 3 oz and then sometimes it can be 6oz.  As you can see, this can cause a lot of wasted formula.  She can be sucking away on her bottle for 45 mins sometimes and still only take 3oz.  Once in while I've noticed the hole getting plugged by a small clump, so I've gotten in the habit of checking for swallowing if it's not going down fast enough; but even when she seems to be swallowing right along, she doesn't always eat as much.

Personal info, just in case you want it: Amelia is 7 1/2 weeks old and I've been trying for the past week to get her on EASY while being back to work and having my mom (who raised 3 kids without fancy methods thank-you-very-much) watch her during the day, none of which has helped.  Fortunately, Amelia is an Angel/Textbook baby so she's been really easy to get right back on "schedule" when she's with me.

Offline bubbasmomma

• Mom of a Touchy Sweetheart
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • Whaddup???
« Reply #142 on: April 04, 2007, 02:07:37 am »
My dd is 5 mo, and she usually only takes 3-4 oz still, once in a while taking up to 5.  I switched to a faster nipple, but it really didnt change how much she ate.  What I did notice is that she stopped getting frustrated when switching, and finished much faster.  I have heard that guidline too, and got worried my lo wasn't eating enuf (about 24 oz a day) but her doc said it was fine, she was growing and healthy.  I say try switching up one hole, and see if it helps, youll know it is too fast if she lets it pour out the sides of her mouth.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 02:09:43 am by bubbasmomma »
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #143 on: April 04, 2007, 18:45:08 pm »
I agree with the previous poster, I would change to a faster flow nipple and see if that makes any difference on how quickly your lo will take a feed.  Watch out that she does not splutter - if she is battling with it, then it is worth switchin back to the slower nipple.

The guideline for the amount of formula is 2.5 oz for every pound of weight.  Although this is just a guideline.  Some lo's drink more and some drink less.  My DS was always on the lower end of the oz, and is a perfectly healthy little boy.  My advice is to watch your lo - let her tell you how much she needs and when she needs it.

Hope this helps.

Paula

Offline fluffycabbage

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #144 on: April 26, 2007, 07:01:31 am »
my baby is 3 weeks old and i am struggling with bottle feeding. sometimes she only eats 30-40 ml, sometimes 120ml. She feeds every 2.5 - 3 hours. Anyone got any ideas to get her lasting 4 hours? How do I know she is hungry and not just tired or windy. How can I stimulate her so doesnt fall straight asleep after feed?

new mum to Bethan

Hi - my son only took 1- 1 1/2 oz per feed, every 1 1/2 - 2 hrs, for the first 3 months! After that, he VERY GRADUALLY  went up in amounts and time between each feed. It was a struggle I can tell  you! I changed to a faster flow teat upon advice from my Health Visitor and HEY PRESTO! he started taking A LOT more! He seemed a lot more content, and all of a sudden he slept through the night (a godsend!). At 4 months I started weaning him onto solids too - now he's happier than ever
Good luck with whatever yuo decide to do  ;) ;D ;D

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #145 on: April 26, 2007, 19:14:58 pm »
I agree with the PP - at this age it is quite common to only be taking such small amounts of milk.  Remember her tummy is very small and can only hold small amounts.

4 hours between feeds is a very long time to expect your lo to go.  Most lo's at this age will go 2 - 3 hours between a feed.  This is considered as normal.

With regards to Activity time, your lo won't be able to stay up very long after a feed.  The activity time is usually considered as a nappy change and then put them straight down for a nap.

As she gets older, she will start to take more per feed as well as stay up longer between feeds.

HTH's

Paula

Offline ashtayla

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #146 on: April 29, 2007, 03:55:11 am »
Hi my dd is 11 weeks old and has been having problems with her feed we have changed to soya formula and now the Ped has pet her on Pepti Junior which I dont think she likes the taste of. She fussess about and only takes about 40ml and acts like she is full (I know she isn't as she had been taking atleast 90ml/110ml per feed) so I tried normal formula and she drank 110ml without a fuss. How do I get her to not hate the taste and drink more?????

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #147 on: April 29, 2007, 11:22:56 am »
How long has she been on the soy formula for?

I would give it a bit of time and see if things improve.

Offline fluffycabbage

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #148 on: April 29, 2007, 17:14:20 pm »
Why have they changed her onto Soy? Has she got an allergy or intolerance? Also is the milk thicker than the 'normal' milk you gave her? If so, you night want to change to a faster flow teat. And of its good for her, then stick with it!

Offline mayas-mama

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #149 on: May 07, 2007, 14:42:05 pm »
my 3 month old girl was getting 6ozs in every 4 hours, but now it's a task to get her to take in 4ozs. she also wasn't napping much at the time. we are trying to get naps in during the day on a 4hour EASY, could this have affected the change in intake?