Author Topic: Extended nursing thread part 3  (Read 58045 times)

LucysMommy

Re: Extended nursing thread part 3
« Reply #165 on: November 02, 2010, 15:47:39 pm »
Hi Cathy - we decided that we wanted to get DD AND me ready in case I went back to work (I am an unemployed teacher).  So around 12 months we cut 1 feed and 13 months another feed so now DD is 14 months and having 2 feeds a day.  She adjusted pretty easily, although I do give her another feed during the day if she's climbing up me asking for it :-)   It's hard to tell if she is consuming less though I don't feel as strong of a letdown.

Offline inoella

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #166 on: November 03, 2010, 01:30:42 am »
Hi Cathy! I think we're all over the place here - every LO is different! :) My DD is still bfing 3-4x a day but I don't think she's getting much - this morning she was acting needy so I offered an "extra" bf  - she only tried for maybe 1 min. before moving on - wasn't patient enough for the let down! :)

*Jaci*

LucysMommy

« Reply #167 on: November 09, 2010, 20:36:29 pm »
Hi all...
I am looking to drop 14 month old DD's 5-6am feed as I will be going back to work in about a month.
Our usual routine is, DD is standing up in her crib crying out for me, I go in and bf her, put her back in bed and she goes back to sleep until about 8:30.  She STTN otherwise, her last bf is at about 7:15. 
I would be alright with pushing back the feed to her wake-up time, and then after she is used to that, just offering her breakfast and sippy of milk instead.
We have just got her STTN about a month ago for the first time consistently since birth and I don't want to have major sleep disruptions, early wakings, etc as we are all finally getting decent sleep.  Any ideas on how to do this GENTLY!
I was thinking maybe decreasing the number of minutes that I let her bf and then doing GW??  That is how we dropped her other night feeds a few months ago.
Jolene

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #168 on: November 09, 2010, 20:52:47 pm »
If it worked before. it may work again. It probably is a habit/learned hunger rather than a true need to eat at that time so reducing the time may help.

Offline marilyn73

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #169 on: November 10, 2010, 02:50:16 am »
Reducing the time may prolong the agony perhaps.  A 2 minute feed might still satisfy lo's want for mommy time, especially if hunger is not the real issue.  Is there a gentle way when the final break is made from some feed, to none? 

Offline inoella

« Reply #170 on: November 11, 2010, 01:48:23 am »
Is there a gentle way when the final break is made from some feed, to none?
In our house it's called "bed time with daddy". :) I went out for the first time last Sat with "the girls" (yippy!_ and DD did just fine with DH. She refused the bottle but did drink milk from a cup. So we're trading BT duties this week to get her used to going to bed without nursing. 2night I offered her a nurse downstairs before bed but she really didn't want it. So off to bed with daddy. She was fine...
*Jaci*

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #171 on: November 11, 2010, 12:35:54 pm »
We went for Cadan's 8mo health review today (yes at nearly 11mo) and the HV looked shocked when I said I was still BF him 4x a day but just about to cut this to 3x. She actually asked me if he was eating solids as well. Of course he is!She obviously does n'tknow about the WHO recs to feed 4x until 10mo. Don't know how many times she thought I should be feeding him. 
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Whatbit

• Triple Trouble
« Reply #172 on: November 11, 2010, 23:44:27 pm »
I just went for DS 12mo apt and DR. didn't even ask about milk anymore but I told her we were doing 3x/day BF and one cup cows milk.  She's pretty pro formula...  Wish you asked, Ali.  I'd be curious to know!!
~Stef~

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #173 on: November 12, 2010, 17:52:30 pm »
Well Stefanie TBH I'm more interested in what the WHO says rather than one HV. I have yet to meet an HV who is working to the recommended gov policy rather than their own opinion which tends to be based on anecdotal evidence of what was done in the olden days.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Whatbit

• Triple Trouble
« Reply #174 on: November 12, 2010, 17:59:33 pm »
I totally agree, Ali.  Just would have been curious to hear what she figured Cadan 'should' be doing in the nursing department.  I'm sure my DR.  thinks I'm odd because even when DS wasn't gaining a lot (reflux issues) she kept wanting me to put him on formula and I told her no that I would pump and give him EBM if I had to!  There were never any issues with my milk supply and he started gaining weight after the reflux was under control...
~Stef~

Offline MommytoJashn

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • The Naughty Naugthy Girl !!
« Reply #175 on: November 13, 2010, 02:30:30 am »
At almost 20 months no doc supports BF!

However, had a quick question. I will be away for 2-3 days , this is the first time  that I will be away from her and BF

What do I expect?

Offline Whatbit

• Triple Trouble
« Reply #176 on: November 13, 2010, 17:13:24 pm »
That depends.  Has she taken EBM from a bottle or cup before?  If not, it might be a bit of a challenge.  For you, it might mean some discomfort.  When I went away for 2 days when DS was 10 month old I was BF 4x/day and still got really engorged around the times I would have been BF.  I pumped and was able to store the milk to bring home.  DS took a bottle with EBM but didn't drink as much as I thought he would but he did do 4x/day, just less.  He seemed really happy to see me when I got back!  If you're just doing 2x/day you might not notice much discomfort at all.  I would still suggest pumping a bit to keep your breasts stimulated since it will be a few days.  Have a great time away!   
~Stef~

Offline inoella

« Reply #177 on: November 13, 2010, 17:45:36 pm »
Richa - the one night I was gone DD didn't want her bottle at all but she was perfectly happy with her sippy. I'd take a pump tho - if you have one - to relieve any soreness you might get.

Looking for a bit of advice: I've been trying to wean the (multiple!) night feedings and it wasn't going very well - she would keep pointing to the rocking chair where we sit to nurse. So 2 days ago I moved the rocking chair out of the room (got the idea from another thread). She nursed happily during the day but the past 2 nights she has refused the bt bf. And at the same time she STTN the first night and made it until 4:30 last night/today. I'm a bit confused! Am I to assume she's sleeping better without the bt bf? I always assumed we would keep the a.m. and p.m. bfs the longest and I'm kinda sad about about it. I'm wondering if she would take the bf if i moved the chair back - quiet calm environment... but then again i really really need to wean these night feedings... any thots?
*Jaci*

LucysMommy

« Reply #178 on: November 13, 2010, 18:34:42 pm »
What about trying to do the bt bf lying down maybe in your room?  I thought you were trying to get her to bed without nursing??  It's hard to let go of those times isn't it?  Could she be getting confused about it?

I think with the night feedings, you just need to be firm and consistent... don't pick her up, just talk to her from beside the crib.  It takes at least 4 nights of crying but in the end they are fine.  They are not really hungry at those times, it is just what they are used to.

With the time change last week, DD was waking up at 5am again to nurse so we decided to push it back to no earlier than 7am.  First night she woke at 5, took an hour to get back to sleep, slept until 8:30, second night she woke at 4am, took about 45 minutes to get back to sleep, and she slept until 7am, third night she slept straight through until 7am.  So it really does work!  They can understand a lot of what you are telling them at this age.

Offline inoella

« Reply #179 on: November 13, 2010, 19:52:50 pm »
I thought you were trying to get her to bed without nursing??  It's hard to let go of those times isn't it?  Could she be getting confused about it?
Yes, and yes. That's why I was trying to nurse her outside of the room so she could nurse, then stories, then bed. But she just read stories on our bed, refused the bf and actually asked to go to bed. :)
when she woke up at 4:30 today I got her to settle 4 times but she would wake back up 15 min. later. What does that mean?
*Jaci*