Author Topic: Jan/Feb 05 chat - Thread #3  (Read 116389 times)

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
Jan/Feb 05 chat - Thread #3
« Reply #675 on: January 04, 2006, 21:13:31 pm »
Schae-ROFLMBO!!!!  And I like it as your avatar, too.
Branwen, I like you're new avator, too.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #676 on: January 04, 2006, 22:10:46 pm »
Quote (selected)
can you be a support person for dropping the formula?

Heather, you're gonig to think i'm a total loon (i mean for besides going back cause i just remembered this  :wink:  :oops: ), but when we were out of formula with jaina, i just switched cold turkey. 

we did have some problems at first, and then realized that she was used to room-temperature bottles (i would never warm them for her), so we would microwave the milk (& then shake it) to take the edge off. 

it was around then that we were also able to make the transition to sippy cups.  she seemed to think 'new stuff, new cups to drink out of'

Schae -  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline julieb

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • I think I need a bigger pool.
« Reply #677 on: January 04, 2006, 22:55:51 pm »
Kate, that certainly is odd!  :?   They usually do a thorough check at the nine month appt here.  Maybe the sleeping/eating is a random GS (was she born early??)?  But really, I think the sleeping can be a very typical reaction to such a large combo shot.  Her body had a lot to take in at once!   :wink:

Speaking of eating like a horse, Asher has actually slowed down the last few days.  I've been reading about their appetites slowing dramatically down after the 12 month GS (due to the slower rate of weight gain as a toddler), but this seems early!  He's been eating 1/2 to 3/4 of his usual portions.  Is this happening to anyone else?

Melissa, welcome!!  Jump right in and tell us some about yourself and your LO!  Nice to see another Aussie (Deb will pop in soon, I'm sure).

Tarri, I've brushed Asher's teeth twice, just playing after I brush my own.  I told myself I'd start when his front two came in, but haven't.  :oops:   I really need to.  If you have the baby toothpaste, it's okay to swallow.  And the ham I give are small pieces, usually just the deli slices, cut into 1/4-1/2 squares.

Branwen, yeah, I can get a bit talkative.  :oops:   :lol:  It's just I have so much more in common with you ladies than my non-BW friends.  :oops:   I think it's fine that you're not giving meat.  There are plenty of protien alternatives.  My Super Baby Food book is based on a no-meat diet and lists foods and food combos that make up complete protiens.  We're very pro-meat here so that's why Asher's eating it (and loving it  :lol: ).  Not sure why he poos so much.  DH poos 2-3x a day, so maybe he gets it from him?   :roll:  And I am quite proactive on the constipation issue.  I always make sure 50% of the meal is fruit/veggie, 25% is carbs, 25% is protien. 

Schae: That shirt is HILARIOUS!  :lol:  Though a bit on the crude side for my own purchase.  But I have seen "Boob Man" shirts that I wanted to buy!   :lol:

I survived the baby-sitting!!  :shock:   It was hard.  Her DD is weird!  Well, just way different than my spirited Asher!  She has an angel baby and I just didn't know what to do with her sometimes!  :lol:   Well, that was just the thing, I didn't have to do anything!  But she's a picky eater, and I'm used to Asher, so that was a bit frustrating trying to find something she'd eat.  She wouldn't even open her mouth to try anything.
Julie
DS 1/31/05 (spirited/textbook but a touchy sleeper)
DD 10/15/10 (textbook/angel/spirited)

Offline dkjokisch

• Showing Appreciation 43
« Reply #678 on: January 05, 2006, 01:13:22 am »
JulieB - If you don't mind tops and bottoms, Carter's makes all cotton pj's.  They're kind of like thermals.  If you're looking for sleepers, Children's Place has them through 4T, I think, but they are kind of thin.  Surprisingly, though, on sale, they're not too expensive.

Kate - Maya went through an 11mos GS (followed by a period or great naps) and is now eating less than ever.  And our 9mos check-up was pretty thorough too, but to be honest, it seems like we're there every two weeks anyway with all of her other issues, so I kind of lose track.  Speaking of which, I have since discovered that IMPETIGO is very contagious.  The doctor didn't mention that.  I am laundering linens and towels as I type.

Schae - Luka looks so cute.  I love the shirt!

Anyone having sippy troubles - Maya would not drink from a sippy.  She knew how to get water out, but she wouldn't drink.  I was getting very frustrated especially as I am about ready to start weaning.  However, I bought some of the disposable sippys (I think they're called take and toss), and she does great with them.  It's wonderful.  They're dirt cheap ($2.50 for 6), and now I always have a clean one.  The only downside is that they do leak a little so I don't let her carry them around the house.
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)

Offline MelissaS

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Hello Everyone
« Reply #679 on: January 05, 2006, 03:50:51 am »
Thank you all for your welcomes  :D

I love the idea of chatting to lots of people about babies - I am already starting to get clucky again!

David is just past 10 months, and boy is he out and about. He has been standing up for a while now and cruising around the furniture but about 2 weeks ago he stood up by himself without holding onto anything and was just standing there. I was so excited and clapping - he tried to clap (still learning that one). I think he will be walking may be by 1 year but not sure yet - just taking things day at a time.

David is a very happy child - we had a difficult start (numerous things - started with emergency c-section, difficulties BF, not putting on weight, not interested in solids and to top off - not sleeping more than 2-4 hours at a time) I had a lot to learn  :shock:  I did not even realise babies needed to sleep at least every 2 hours after being awake - I was very naive.

But now VERY HAPPY and loving it. I think I finally am managing to be a 'real' mum. I love staying at home with David as a full time mum and my husband and I are starting up a business at home so I can stay with David until he is old enough for school. Hopefully we are successful.

I hope I am not going on too much - I love reading about everyones babies - David LOVES water (sprinklers and swimming), loves his giraffe and riding ducky. I have attached a photo of him christmas morning(could'nt resist).

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Thanks again,
Melissa
Melissa
(Mum to David 20/02/2005 - mostly spirited/textbook)

Offline julieb

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • I think I need a bigger pool.
« Reply #680 on: January 05, 2006, 05:11:13 am »
Ugh, bad nap day.  Asher went to bed early!  :shock:   I tried pineapple this morning and we've had a few spit ups throughout the day.  This hasn't happen in two months.  It smelled of pineapple each time.  :?  One of which woke him from his pm nap.  Makes me worried for his reaction to tomatoes and oranges.  This really seems to verify my reflux theory.  :roll:   Julie, didn't you say Matty has reflux?  Has he tried any of those food yet?

Deborah, thanks for the PJ tips.  I have some thin carters, but I don't think I've seen the cotton thermals.  And when I checked TCP, they were either too thin or polyester.  :?   No matter anyway.  I've settled on the nothing fancy Target sweats -- cheaper than PJs anyway!  :lol:  Your 11 GS mention makes me wonder!!  Maybe that's what Asher's been going through!!  Hope the good naps stay though!!  :shock:  So then do they have a 12-13 mth one too??

Melissa, David is beautiful!  Love his hair!  He looks like a regular little boy now!  Where's the baby?!  :wink:
Julie
DS 1/31/05 (spirited/textbook but a touchy sleeper)
DD 10/15/10 (textbook/angel/spirited)

Offline bianca'smum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hello
« Reply #681 on: January 05, 2006, 07:20:06 am »
Hi Everyone,

I hope you all don't mind if I join in?  I have read quite a few of your posts and think it is a brilliant way to talk about our gorgeous little ones and ask for advise.  Unfortunately I never joined a Mother's group as I was quite ill after my daugther's birth and only came around to rejoining the world when she was about 6 months old.

My little girl Bianca is just over the 11 month old mark, boy has this first year gone so quickly.  I can't believe this little bundle of joy can go from being so helpless to walking in a year it is amazing. I have been blessed with a very happy child, who started walking on Christmas Day!  (Great Xmas present for me.)

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and New Year.

Janelle
Janelle

Bianca - 21/01/05

Daniel's mummy

« Reply #682 on: January 05, 2006, 09:48:06 am »
Welcome to Melissa and Janelle.  Nice to have you join us.

:cry:  :cry:  :cry:  My mum and dad returned to Zambia yesterday where they are working.  They'll not be home again until September when they return for just 3 weeks.  I am gonna miss them so much.  We had planned a big farewell breakfast for them yesterday, but dh and I both woke up in the night starting to feel sick and by morning it had well and truely kicked in :(   We couldn't even drive them to the station, they had to get a taxi as we could barely move without puking!!  I guess it made saying goodbye slightly easier though (all I could focus on was stopping myself throwing up :shock: )  I don't know what caused the sickness.  It seems like something we ate but can't think what it could have been.  Dh is back at work today and I am starting to feel a bit better so I won't complain any more now.

Before I forget (this seems like ages back!) Deb, the travelling sounds like a fantastic idea. Go for it. 

First birthday - we had planned to have family and close friends round (or maybe use the church hall as it has a kitchen and is well equipped for this kind of thing).  Some have kids so there will be a few kids but we're not gonna do the whole big party thing this year.  Really more of a get-together for us adults. 

Walking - I cannot believe how many of the los on this thread are walking already :shock:   Daniel is no where near walking yet.  I don't reckon he'll walk til closer to 14 / 15 months.  My back is certainly starting to take its toll.  Now that he weighs close to 27lb, carrying him around is just so difficult.  And because he tummy crawls I can't really let him do that many places as the floors are so dirty!  He still doesn't stand up in his cot so I have to lift him out from lying down which is quite a job too. 

Teeth - we brush Daniel's teeth before his morning nap and then again before bedtime.  We started doing this when he had about 4 teeth I think (8 now).  I don't know how important it is but we figure it's good to get him used to doing it as part of a routine.  Most days he tolerates it :wink:

Daniel seems to have gone through an 11month GS.  Actually he still is.  His appetite really decreased for about a month and then when he hit 11 months he suddenly just wouldn't stop eating :lol:   His meals are getting HUGE again.  And he's sleeping really well which is a bonus.

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #683 on: January 05, 2006, 09:51:36 am »
welcome Melissa and Janelle - happy to have you aboard!

Schae - LOVE your new avatar and think the Tshirt is funny.

1st birthday - we have not planned anythign yet but will probably be a BBQ with friends and hopefully Dh's parents who we are convincing to come in Feb (Liv's bday)  instead of July (alex's bday - they have celebrated her 1st and 2nd i think it is Livs turn!)

although we have introduced milk, eggs and wheat i will do the dsame as i did at alex's first birthday (she had 3 parties and never tasted any cake). i get dessert/cake for us all to eat and she just gets the photo o[p and candle blowing moment - no cake for my lo unfortunately.  alex did not try chocolate until her 2nd birthday. it might seem mean but it worked for us - alex truly understands that cake and cookies are "special treats" and she is not that fussed about icecream and has never had candy of any kind. i am a total sugar fiend so i have been careful with the girls.

teeth brushing - we are still waiting for the first one but when liv was laughing today i am sure i saw something white on her bottom gum - won't let me finger in there to confoirm it though so stay tuned - i am waiting to see if she gets her 1st tooth or walks 1st  :lol:

did not open a new window and that is all i remember and am in the middle of aussie chat night so better duck back there too  :D
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline dkjokisch

« Reply #684 on: January 05, 2006, 19:14:04 pm »
Welcome to Melissa and Janelle!

Well, it seems the cold fairy has visited our house again.  Dh started coming down with ANOTHER one (#3) earlier this week, and this morning I woke up with the same scratchy throat.  We're wondering if our New Year's houseguests didn't bring a little something extra.  The wife is an ER resident, and she's spent the last few weeks in the pediatrics dept, so she's been exposed to everything.  Maya's nose started running yesterday with what I presume is the cold dh and I had over Christmas.  This is getting insane.

Walking - Maya's not walking and is nowhere near even trying.  I'm guessing maybe Feb/Mar?

Where is everybody today?  I'm home for once!
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)

Offline thitz

• Showing Appreciation 13
  • Emily and Elliot
« Reply #685 on: January 05, 2006, 20:13:39 pm »
Melissa, that sounds exciting about starting a home business :)

Sippy cups, I had bought some disposable ones at 6 months but there was no suction vent hole and Emily had a hard time sucking the water out without choking.  So now we're on regular plastic cups.  But I just bought a real sippy cup today so we'll see how that goes.

I also bought birthday invitations.  I plan on inviting pretty much everyone we know in the area and our parents.   That all totals of to about 10 couples :oops:

For those brushing teeth, do you hold them up to the bathroom sink?  Do you try and teach them to spit the toothpaste out?

Tarri

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #686 on: January 05, 2006, 21:15:14 pm »
grrrr.... Deborah i think the cold fairly must have come here after it left you.  luke started getting sick new year's eve; he was up most of the night, and then had a fever & slept the next 2 days/nights.  he seems to be getting much better but now i feel like cr@p.  oh well.....

Welcome Melissa & Janelle!  good to see you!
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline klt

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #687 on: January 05, 2006, 21:19:22 pm »
Toothbrushing - we just do it after the bath and don't do any spitting out yet.  She loves it, but mostly chews the toothpaste off the brush.  Since she got her top teeth (but one front one and next-to-front one  :? (what's it called?!) she has done a bit of teeth grinding - it's horrible!  I'm hoping the novelty wears off since she didn't do it today.....

Janelle - welcome to you too!  where are you?  I love that we are all spread across the globe!

Melissa - cute picture.  You and David look lovely!

Birthday plans - not sure where we'll be yet!  We might still be here packing, or in England at my mum's or with inlaws (she has a cousin 3 days younger) or back in CO (though this is unlikely  :( )

11 mo growth spurt - that makes sense - thanks Deborah!

Julieb - you cracked me up about the poops running in the family!  Ciara is also a big meat fan.

Offline dkjokisch

« Reply #688 on: January 05, 2006, 23:46:38 pm »
Tarri - Dh does it while she's still in the tub.  And you use so little toothpaste, I don't know that there's much to spit out.
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)

Offline thitz

• Showing Appreciation 13
  • Emily and Elliot
« Reply #689 on: January 06, 2006, 00:00:48 am »
Heather, I just noticed you're a moderator now!  Good Luck :D