Author Topic: "Deceptively delicious" recipes - hide the fruit and veg!  (Read 131484 times)

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 494
Re: "Deceptively delicious" recipes - hide the fruit and veg!
« Reply #195 on: January 25, 2011, 02:19:21 am »

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #196 on: January 25, 2011, 02:55:39 am »
her 2nd cookbook meals seem more appetizing than the first one, but i def need to try them.  and the desserts look great. there is a peanut butter pie that looks really yummy!

kate - no have not tried that tofu meal. i have tried the chicken nuggets though. hmm, i dunno but i do thin out most of the purees adding a bit of water (as recommended)

i need to make the mac n cheese. i refuse to buy the boxed stuff. there is so much salt in them!
heather

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #197 on: January 25, 2011, 03:30:57 am »
Sarah - let me know if your LO goes for any of the recipes!

I'm not too into the dessert ones personally (I like my desserts to be desserts) but Heather if any of the meals work well definitely let me know. I tried to make some of her pancakes from the first book (with the sweet potato puree) tonight to test out and give the kids tomorrow morning but they were YUCK. Too thin and not battery enough and just not the right taste at all.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Showing Appreciation 326
« Reply #198 on: January 25, 2011, 05:26:23 am »
TBH, I ended up being unimpressed with almost everything I made from DD except a few of the dessert things.  She's very into lowfat which I don't think makes sense for kids--and low fat food just doesn't taste right!

Offline Casseopea

• *Kimberly*
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • Brendan and Keira
« Reply #199 on: January 25, 2011, 05:47:52 am »
Jumping in... haven't read the previous posts.  :-X

We borrowed the book from a friend since my 5yo refuses to eat ANY veggie.  so far we haven't really done any of the recipies.  Mainly we just gleaned the concept and set out from there on our own.  It seemed like the most used and easiestly hid veggies were sweet potatoes, squash, and cauiflower.  So we got those veggies and cooked and pureed and then froze individual servings.  And hubby (since he is the cook) will just pull one out when he thinks a meal could *hide* it.  So far he has done squash in grilled cheese, and sweet potato and squash in hamburger meat (once for hamburgers and once for meatballs).  I think they have all been a success (I didn't have the grilled cheese) and the kids didn't notice- even the picky one.  Like I said, we haven't done the recipies and I am not sure we will.  I think we will just add it to the meals we already do- easier for us.  :) 

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #200 on: January 25, 2011, 12:10:30 pm »
Bethany - I wondered about that lowfat issue too and that was one of the tweaks I planned to make! I think since she's cooking for a family and not just little kids she did it that way?

Can't use anything from the squash family here - DS is intolerant...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Jiinx

• Showing Appreciation 148
« Reply #201 on: January 25, 2011, 12:20:14 pm »
Bethany - I agree. Could you subs full fat or more fat when the recipe does call for lower fat? I wonder if that would change the taste of the recipe at all.

Aisling :) thanks hun..I think I'll have to make the trip to the bookstore as it's sold out online!
*Sarah*

Offline nona

« Reply #202 on: January 25, 2011, 13:18:58 pm »
hmm, i don't have a problem with the low fat issue. the meals are for the whole family and you can give your kid more healthy fats another time of day.  also, her kids are older (like elementary age).

granted, we eat pretty healthy around here and i don't make separate meals for anyone!

from the first cook book, i also made the oatmeal, pancakes (swt potato), egg souffle and scrambled eggs and i thought they were good. 

the tomato soup i made had pureed broccoli and you could not taste it all. Dh does not like broccoli so that was great.

re: squash - you could prob substitute carrots or cauliflower. so pumpkin is out too?
heather

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Formerly kmk512
« Reply #203 on: January 25, 2011, 13:23:33 pm »
How do you all freeze your purees?  I froze in plastic bags but then last night (in the middle of the night :P) I realized that I probably should have frozen in smaller portions.   I don't want to use a zillion plastic bags, though. ???

Kimberly, I was thinking the same about using her idea and adding a bunch of purees to what we already make as well.  Can't hurt to try, right? :)
*Kate*

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #204 on: January 25, 2011, 13:24:49 pm »
Yes pumpkin is one of the worst offenders actually. Leads to screaming night pains, hives and insane diaper rash. Carrots, sweet potato, cauliflower all fine (I think). Very true on the lowfat issue as well!

Kate, I freeze purees in ice cube trays and then transfer to ziplocs once frozen. And yes, for ages now I've been sneaking purees into things like mac n cheese, etc.

Offline nona

« Reply #205 on: January 25, 2011, 13:32:10 pm »
i put mine in plastic bags (snack size) in 1/4 cups...but i need a better system. maybe i will try putting them in muffin tins and freezing next time.
heather

Offline Jiinx

• Showing Appreciation 148
« Reply #206 on: January 25, 2011, 13:54:56 pm »
they also have things called baby cubes which are cubed shape containers with a lid that folds over :)
*Sarah*

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #207 on: January 25, 2011, 15:16:40 pm »
Baby cubes sound good. Muffin tins a good idea too!

Making pancake mix batter for tomorrow - going to use from the Sneaky Chef quick fixes for boxed pancakes. Not getting too tricky this time - just using her variety using 1 cup boxed pancake mix (I have an all natural honey and buttermilk one), 1/4 cup oat bran, 1 tbsp brown sugar, 1 tbsp canola oil (I'm using grapeseed), 1/2 tsp cinnamon, one egg and 3/4 cup 2% milk. If they work well next time will sneak in some sweet potato puree...

He used to do really well with my homemade meat patties - which I make with ground beef, applesauce, whole wheat bread crumbs, chopped onion, shredded carrot and chopped spinach. Going to try that again today at lunch, fingers crossed.

Offline Casseopea

• *Kimberly*
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • Brendan and Keira
« Reply #208 on: January 25, 2011, 16:54:36 pm »
they also have things called baby cubes which are cubed shape containers with a lid that folds over :)

We have the exact same thing and they work great.  I imagine an ice cube tray would work just as well.

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Formerly kmk512
« Reply #209 on: January 25, 2011, 17:26:20 pm »
Oh I forgot I have those baby cube things!  Must dig them out.  I wish I'd thought of this/found this book when I was in the habit of making purees for Austin way back when.  It was just part of my routine now and yesterday I felt so rusty - I spilled squash all over the place! ::)
*Kate*