Author Topic: MPI Mummies  (Read 9268 times)

Offline *Liz*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: MPI Mummies
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 13:02:19 pm »
Hmmm... looks more like photo 3 (which I realise is a FF babe) but it is poop and stringy bits rather than pure mucous. And that is what we are getting here.

Offline donna_issabella

• Showing Appreciation 941
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 13:06:38 pm »
DDs looks like 1 and 2. Sometimes green tigned, sometimes normal B colour, but still mucousy.

Offline sherry lynn

• Showing Appreciation 127
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 18:20:24 pm »
Liz FWIW - ours looked like #3 until I did a TOTAL dairy elimination. It was still like than when I was only cutting out the major dairy.
Now they look more like 1 and 2. He's not in pain now, but I guess maybe something in my diet is not agreeing with him?
DS#1: 30 Oct 2007
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 03:01:18 am »
Interesting that both DI and Sherry are dairy and soy free still see poos like 1 and 2.  I am the only one besides Kirry who is also gluten free, and Kais poos don't look like 1 or 2 or 3 (except when he had the Roatvirus vaccine, but its cleared up now).   I don't think Kirry sees any mucuos these days either.

Wonder if gluten free trial is worth it.  It only takes a week to notice some difference.
 I think that mucuous = unhappy gut.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 12:49:31 pm »
Ugh, F's looks exactly like 1 & 2.  I'm on day 3 of 100% no dairy.  I'm going to discuss no soy with the ND this week so see if she can help me if I'm going to go that route, which I'm scared I might.  Really scared, actually.  But if today is only day 3 of no dairy, it could just be taking a little while to see results?
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

scarlettsmom

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 13:21:13 pm »
Martina - yes it could take more time to see the stools look better.  It can take a couple weeks for the protein to get out of your system, and then a couple of weeks to get out of LOs system.

Gwynnie's looked just like 1 and 2.  They improved tremendously once I cut out dairy and soy, but still had them occasionally.  I went on an elimination diet and eventually found out it was several things, including oatmeal (which I ate boatloads of to keep my supply up!). 

Hang in there mamas, I know it is so hard and overwhelming at times.  Once you get a safe baseline though it makes SUCH a world of difference.

:-* :-*

Offline sherry lynn

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 18:32:33 pm »
Martina - it def. takes time. The green didn't go away for quite a while. I was actually losing hope on that ground. He was feeling better but I started to think that the green might just be "normal" for him. But, they are very yellow now.

Eloys - I have actually been thinking about the gluten thing. I think I feel about gluten free the same way that Liz and Martina feel about dairy free. Like.... please... no.... please.....
But, I have had a lot of oatmeal the last few days and the mucus and looseness has become worse. Sigh...
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline EloysH

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2010, 22:40:00 pm »
ok just a question,  kai did his first brown poo today.  Any thoughts?  I had purple wild rice last night thats the onyl new thing.  Is brown normal?

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 23:04:13 pm »
elo, not sure about brown? i'd assume it was just something you ate? if it had lots of specks in it then i'd be worried.

hugs liz. i'd def look at getting stool testing done, to check for microscopic blood as pp suggested and also check the white blood cell count. (high levels of this can indicated intolerance or allergies to something ingested).

fwiw, ds2 has had all 3 types of those poos. mostly like 1 and 2, but went really green with mucous when i did the cow's milk and soy milk challenges. and the green didnt totally disappear until i did gluten free. tho if you are thinking of going down that route i would start with wheat free rather than gluten free as that leaves a few more food options (like oats) available to you. i've always been meaning to test oats but we usually end up with a bad week, bad meds or some drama whenever i am about to test it so i dont bother rocking the boat anymore! didnt get mucous free until off all hidden dairy and soy for two weeks.

he has started pooping less frequently the last 2 weeks, ie. he has only gone 3 times and used to be good for one a day. he is spitting up loads again the last 2 weeks too and more unsettled at night. driving me nuts actually as i am used to poop inspections to make sure everything is okay on that front iykwim. so far i've cut out dairy, soy, wheat/gluten, peanuts, eggs.

Q for all the mpi mummies tho since you are all here - if it was a food intolerance issue would you expect he would be pooping frequently again? i'm wondering if it is his reflux this time rather than food induced reflux. can eating the wrong food cause just refluxing and no poop issues?

Offline EloysH

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 23:11:04 pm »
prob not Kirry, I'd say its the reflux.

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2010, 00:37:03 am »
Am seriously considering going soy free (and who knows what else).  :(  I'm finding that the unknown is just getting to me too much, and I NEED to get it sorted.  I think I might get professional help from a nutritionist if I can afford it, hopefully our insurance will cover part of it (they cover dieticians but not sure if it's considered the same?).  I want to do it right, kwim?  And I don't trust myself to do it right on my own!

I found this website today which I thought was helpful.  It had a good list of MSPI safe brands which gave me hope that I will be able to find some stuff to eat that I will enjoy!
http://mspikids.info/1801.html
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline sherry lynn

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2010, 00:37:15 am »
Thanks for that website. It's good. I just spent a good deal of time looking at it :)
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2010, 03:16:06 am »
It is a decent website - which I could find a UK brand list like that.

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2010, 13:19:01 pm »
I'm not sure how much of the brands I can find here, but I did recognize quite a few.  I find it helps when you see straightforward lists like that, and it also makes it much less overwhelming to think about cutting soy/dairy out of your diet!

I have decided, for the time being, to not cut out soy.  The ND I spoke with said to just keep going with the no dairy, and I'll keep a log and we can keep an eye on things.  But I think the no dairy is starting to work, F's poops are looking less and less mucousy these days!  Hopefully that's a step in the right direction!  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • DS1 - born May 1/08 DS2 - born May 14/10
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2010, 04:10:17 am »
I guess I need to be in this club! :-[

Poor S has had so many mucousy diapers lately that the health nurse had me take him to emerg last night (he's "fine", "colicky" they said) but without blood in his stool, they are not concerned. It got really bad after I pigged out on strawberries. Eloise, you mentioned elsewhere that they are actually a common problem... is the same true of other berries? Sorry for TMI, but I need them to keep regular. I've already been avoiding yeast for a couple of months (in an effort to not be GBS+ but I still was). I've kept it up because I figured it would reduce the risk of thrush and can also really slow my guts down.

I've talked to my TCMD and she agrees with your ND, Martina, so I'm on day 1 of zero dairy and have started probiotics. DH can't eat dairy (hidden is fine and butter but nothing else) so I'm hoping this will improve S quickly. He is so gassy and has real bouts of pain and crying. Thank goodness for the moby wrap! However, his sleep is getting a little better and he doesn't strongly prefer being upright, so I'm thinking we are dealing only with food intolerance and not reflux. Still confused about the colic def'n so I guess I should dig around a bit more here...

I had a few mini marshmallows for dessert as all my usual treats have milk in them. Wishing y'all sweet dreams for your LOs.