Author Topic: 1 yr old crying before naps, chronic short napper and early waking. Please Help  (Read 19835 times)

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Yesterday went quite well we did a 3.5hr A time for the first nap which was 30mins and then a 3hr A time followed by 30min nap woke crying for 1min then awake but quiet for 25min and then 45min nap. So that was good, do you think he was UT for that second nap seems he took so long to go back to sleep. Thanks Laura

Offline babybarr

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 224
He's a difficult call to make.  I wonder if cos he only had a short morning nap if he was a little OT at that second nap but can't remember what A times you'd been doing before.

However the 30min morning nap was after you pushed the first A time - right?  If so then I would try pushing it to 3.75hrs and see what happens...

What has happened today?
LAURA xx

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
So far today hasn't been brilliant he just wouldn't settle for his first nap for ages it was a 4hr A time by the time I'd got him to sleep and then we had a 20min nap so I am aiming for a shorter second A time. I will let you know how we get on. Thanks so much for all your advice Laura

Offline babybarr

Keep me posted today.  I wonder if tomorrow you *try* a first A of 4hrs and just see what happens.  If you get nap resistance or a short nap then we drop back down.  Sorry it's gone a bit wonky, have you tried meds before the naps at all?
LAURA xx

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Hi well today was a rubbish nap day 20mins this morning 25min this afternoon and the afternoon nap I gave him meds for and he still woke screaming and took 20mins to calm down, but after that he was quite jolly which was good. Thanks ladies I will try again tomorrow.

Offline babybarr

Did you do super early bedtime?

((hugs)) just remember he did it before he'll do it again.  Tomorrow is a new day. 

Hope you at least get a good night.
LAURA xx

Offline Brock~Tahlia~Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 19
Oh hugs, Laura's right! You did it before so it will happen again.
We are also getting some strange sleep happenings here! Forever tweeking!

*Alice*

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Hi thanks for your answers I couldn't do an early bedtime as my older son had youth group so I didn't get Ethan to bed until 6.45, but then he slept 12hrs which was brilliant. Today we did a 3hr 25min A time as he seemed really sleepy and he slept for 1hr!! his next nap will have to be short though as I have to get my eldest from school, but I am happy with that 1hr. Thanks Laura

Offline babybarr

Great stuff and what a great night!! That's brilliant.  Keep us posted.
LAURA xx

Offline babybarr

How's it going? No news = good news?
LAURA xx

12 hour night! Great and s good 1 hour nap. YK I was wondering if OS plays a role in this?
I've also come into some EW and is restless during day naps. So I'm re-reading the last toddler section of BWSAYP and Tracy does talk about changes and milestones and how easy toddlers get OS Once they yuen 1,2 and how familymembers cdn wind them up by getting them to go more etc. This is so true!!! I've been doing longer calmer WDR for day naps, by switching the TV off much earlier and reading more books and making shush sounds longer in Bs ear, I think it's made a huge difference. Also the weather had cooled which has also helped. Also calmer baths at BT with lavender oil and wash.
Just some thoughts...Let u know how it goes in the next few days...
*Alice*

Sorry about typos - Internet is down and using
my phone.
*Alice*

Offline babybarr

Great news Alice :)

What about you Laura?
LAURA xx

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Sorry I've not answered computer has been down. Things are getting worse here and its so frustrating we are back to where we started yesterday was like this
Wake 6.30
Nap 10 (20mins)
Nap 1.45pm 30mins
Bed 6.30

Woke this morning 5.50am

Its now 7.40 and he's grumpy and tired already I just can't figure him out. He is clearly very tired, but won't get the sleep he needs. It seems if we get good naps he sleeps till around 7am, but if his naps are rubbish we get EW and a very grumpy Ethan. Any ideas ladies. Thanks Laura

Offline babybarr

Hi Laura, I'll try and explain what I think happened.

You were getting good naps and good nights, Ethan caught up on the sleep he needed - took a little while - and then we *should've* pushed those A times out as he was more rested.  What has happened is now he was taking UT naps and then he has got OT.

What is going on with those teeth atm?  I can't remember?

A couple of things - what was the magic A number before - was it 3hrs 20mins?  If so I would try dropping that first A time back to 3 hours MAX.  If he short naps you *need* to make sure that 2nd A time is significantly less - maybe even 2hrs.  If he short naps again bedtime needs to be as early as poss.  Do this for a few days and see what happens and then hopefully we can locate that magic A time again.

Having read what I have written though I now have another question - the day before yesterday what time did he go to bed?  how long was his nightsleep?  It may be after sleeping 11.5/12hrs that he actually needs a slightly longer am A time (I would still start short though and work upwards due to us knowing those short naps were OT before)

Is he having naps in the cot?

((hugs))
LAURA xx