Author Topic: Pregnant and Breastfeeding/Tandem feeding Support Thread part 2  (Read 184701 times)

tigerlilly905

Re: Pregnant and Breastfeeding Support Thread part 2
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2011, 17:24:20 pm »
Oh hun, HUGE HUGS!! I really really feel for you.  Is there anyway you could look into getting an SNS? (Supplemental Nursing System)  Some babies flat our refuse the bottle and and SNS is a way to keep him on the breast while still making sure he's getting what he needs (whether its through formula or some sort of expressed BM) Or does he take a sippy at all??

Also, have you tried any galactagogues that are safe during preg? Maybe it could help??

I don't know what else to suggest... have you perhaps contacted a LLL in your area?? I know the leader in our area is a FANTASTIC support... maybe you can also get some "real life" support and hugs from them too.  They're wonderful women with a world of wisdom (including what to do when preg. and bf'ing).

Thinking of you... :-*

Offline emily3434

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2011, 15:08:05 pm »
just saying hi -- I am 6 weeks pregnant and have a 9 month old.  I am concerned about possible milk production issues - has anyone been able to nurse while pregnant successfully?  I would like to make it at least until the 1 year mark.  I do however tend to get VERY ill during my pregnancies for the first 20 weeks and am concerned about that decreasing my supply.

Offline emily3434

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2011, 15:20:27 pm »
I guess I should have read the pages before, as this questions seems to have been asked!!

tigerlilly905

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2011, 15:39:21 pm »
just saying hi -- I am 6 weeks pregnant and have a 9 month old.  I am concerned about possible milk production issues - has anyone been able to nurse while pregnant successfully?

YES!!! We did, although I did hit supply issues around 20wks+.  We are tandem nursing now (I know I said I didn't think it would work.. but it does :) - and I am also pumping for Ds1 ) Read back, you'll be able to figure out my story, but if you have any questions I'd love to try and help. 

Congrats on your pregnancy!!! :) And keep up the bf'ing!! If we managed, I know you can too! xo

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2011, 20:39:52 pm »
Congrats on your pg Emily3434. I think it definitely helps when your older LO is older as they rely less on the milk and more on solids and so will find any decrease in milk production less of a problem. My DS was 12mo when I was 6wks pg and I am still nursing him now at 29wks and he is 17mo. I am not saying my milk did not decrease at all but he didn't mind as he could fill up on solids I think. We are still feeding 2-3 times a day and he seems happy with what he is getting.
How many feeds are you doing each day at the moment? Does he eat a good amount of solids yet?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2011, 21:37:12 pm »
Does anyone have any good BFing positions you can suggest for me to try now I am heavily pg? I am finding it so uncomfortable to have Cadan's weight against/on my belly now. Especially for his BT feed which is before my dinner BTW. Sometimes it feels like the baby is pushing out against his weight. And I often feel like my cervix and bowel have been squashed for about 30mins after I feed him. I currently have him lying on his side on a feeding pillow in a craddle hold. I try to sit up as straight as I can so he is not lying on my belly. He is so used to that hold though I don't know how much I can change it without him stopping the feed.

Offline sparrow

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2011, 00:11:09 am »
Hi Ali, haven't been here in a while!  I stopped all nursing positions except lying down almost as soon as I was pregnant. I found it helped with the nipple pain for some reason.  We just lie on the floor or the couch and her legs just curve around my belly.  No pressure, no discomfort. :)

I think my milk is almost gone... it's been very low for ages but today before her nap she looked up at me after sucking for a bit and said "no milk". She switched to the other boob and seemed to get a bit.  On top of this nursing is STILL so painful.  I can't believe I've lasted this long - I know if it weren't for the fact that nursing is a big part of our going to sleep routine, I probably would have stopped nursing.

Ali, I know we're in the same week of pregnancy - how is the pain and the supply? 

tigerlilly905

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2011, 00:39:59 am »
lying down almost as soon as I was pregnant. I found it helped with the nipple pain for some reason.  We just lie on the floor or the couch and her legs just curve around my belly

I was going to suggest the same thing.  I was fortunate enough for whatever reason I could still manage to hold him in a cradle hold, but I also did nurse lying down occationally.  So perhaps if you try lying down on your side while nursing it could be more comfortable?

I think it's wonderful you've kept up with the nursing Sparrow, even through the pain and lack of supply, I"m sure your DD is glad too :)

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2011, 20:33:56 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions girls. I will try lying down instead. We always nurse propped up with pillows on my bed anyway so at least we can still do it in the same place.
I'm not actually sure if the pain is better or I have just got used to it. It is still sore for upto 30 seconds when we starts nursing but I just brace myself and don;t really think about it. It's a bit plucking my eyebrows I know it hurts but am so used to the pain I only really feel it if I think about it yk?
Not sure about the milk. They certainly don't get engorged and I don't feel a let down but that has been the case for ages and there is milk there if I squeeze the nipple after he has fed. Cadan seems happy to continue morning and night so I am just going with it for now. Sounds like a really vain reason but I am sure it is helping keep my weight gain down this time too!
Well done for carrying on Sparrow. Remind me how old your LO is now...?

Offline sparrow

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2011, 16:52:11 pm »
She's 20 months. And I think we've weaned.  It's been day 2 now. There just didn't seem to be any milk, and the pain was even worse than before.  I felt like my body was sending some pretty clear messages that it was just time to stop.  I've been very emotional about it, especially because she still likes nursing.  She's been crying before going to sleep which she hasn't done in ages. But only for a minute or less.  It's tough... but I have to remind myself that everyone has to go through transitions.  This is just a transition, not a bad thing.  Very curious to see how she'll react to #2 nursing when he/she comes along in 3 months...

tigerlilly905

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2011, 19:03:55 pm »
This is just a transition, not a bad thing.  Very curious to see how she'll react to #2 nursing when he/she comes along in 3 months...

Absolutely I agree. It's so hard, but you're doing what you need to do.  ((hugs)) Will you/are you considering tandem nursing when #2 arrives if your DD still wants to?  I thought it would be a legistical nightmare, but really it's not so bad.  And for my Ds1 it's usually only once a day (some days not at all).  I am still pumping for him though, so he gets lots of BM still.  Is that something you'd consider as well?

Offline sparrow

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2011, 22:41:56 pm »
I think I'll just see how things go.  If she wants to nurse when she sees the baby nursing maybe we'll give tandem nursing a go.  I do have a pump, but never did it much with dd - mostly because she never took a bottle and I was always available to breast feed.  I'm considering trying pumping with the second lo, and what a great way to give dd some extra nutrients...

I'm researching the effects of weaning because I figured it must be quite a hormonal shift. I'm feeling quite sad about it, and mood swingy.  Apparently this is normal after weaning. It's harder than I thought it would be.

tigerlilly905

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2011, 02:14:08 am »
I'm feeling quite sad about it, and mood swingy.  Apparently this is normal after weaning. It's harder than I thought it would be

More Hugs! This I completely understand, and was why I just couldn't.  I can only imagine how hard it is right now. I was set on weaning Ds1 before the baby arrived.  I don't know if you remember, but we went through so much to get him to continue nursing when he went on a nursing strike, that once he was nursing again and enjoying it I just couldn't deny him for the sake of my fear of tandem nursing. So I went with it, and I'm glad I did. 

Your situation is totally different though.  Try and take it day by day.  Have you ever gone to a LLL meeting or spoken to a leader in your area? They are an amazing support, even if you are weaning. Try to stay positive. You should be so proud of yourself you've given your DD the gift of BM for 20 whole months AND while pg. That's an amazing thing!! :-*

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2011, 22:07:21 pm »
Hugs Sparrow. I can't face the thought of weaning just yet and Cadan is still asking for it morning and night anyway.
I tried the lying down feeding position you ladies suggested yesterday morning and it went well. Cadan was actually ill with a fever and happy to just lie there. Then last night when I tried again he kept getting up and crying "boobies". I asked if he wanted to sit up like we normally do and he said yes so we did and he was happy again.  ??? He wasn't happy with the lying down this morning either so I have reverted to the uncomfortable sitting again. I'll have to keep trying the lying down though as it is getting really uncomfortable to sit up now.

Offline sparrow

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2011, 00:01:43 am »
Thanks ladies.  I've been feeling better today, so that's a good sign!  Bed time went really well, she cried a little when book reading was over, but we had a cuddle and she didn't cry when I put her in her crib.  Huge relief there.

Ali, I would say keep trying and I bet eventually it will just seem normal for him.  Sometimes when dd would resist at first I'd just kind of get the boob near her lips and she'd just stop all complaints and latch right on.  It took some boob acrobatics haha...