Author Topic: Pregnant and Breastfeeding/Tandem feeding Support Thread part 2  (Read 184655 times)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Pregnant and Breastfeeding Support Thread part 2
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2011, 15:35:16 pm »
LOL at the boob acrobatics! Thanks. He will latch on but then after less than a minute he will come off and complain. I think we are mostly down to the 2 BFs a day now so at least it is not too often. I shall persevere
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Vicku

• "There is no way to happiness -happiness IS the way"
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2011, 08:44:41 am »
Hello! :)

When I locked the last thread at 30 pages and started this one I had no idea that I would be able join it myself!! :o But here I am... 5 weeks today and I'm already experiencing quite a dip in my supply. DD2 is nearly 19mos and nursing first thing am, around 3pm, at BT and often a couple of times at night still ::) So quite a few feeds really. I've stopped feeling the letdown and the flow seems much much slower. I was hoping to get to 2yrs or thereabout, but now I'm not so sure we'll make it :-\ I'm not ready to wean, and DD still loves nursing, so I hope we can carry on for a while yet. Have no idea if I'd be cut out for tandem nursing, and DD will be 2yrs 3mo when this bub is born if all goes to plan so not sure if weaning during PG would still be the best here...

Any tips on galactagogues that are safe while PG?

How are the rest of you doing? :)

Vicku
"Very Proud Mummy Blessed with 3 Spirited Girls"
[url=http://daisypath.com][img]

I Breastfed DD1 9.5 months and DD2 21.5 months
"Babies don't sleep, they are only on charge"

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2011, 15:08:11 pm »
Welcome Vicku! Congrats on your pg. I have seen Rebecca (tigerlilly) mention galactagogues for pg a few times before.

There are also many galactagogues that are safe during preg.  I use More Milk Two by Motherlove. http://www.amazon.com/Motherlove-Herbal-Company-Alcohol-liquid/dp/B000JZ1ZE6 I've been using it my whole preg. and it is safe.  Although your body will do what it needs to for baby, I think it's helped.  I also take liquid Chlorophyll (you can get it at the health food store).

I wouldn't necessarily worry too much about your supply at Sienna's age though. Assuming she has a balanced diet she'll be getting all the nutrients from solids and with the 4-5 feeds she had each day that should be enough to give her the immunilogical benefits too even if she is only getting a little each time.
Cadan and I are just doing 2 feeds each day (WU & BT) and I don't get a full feeling or a letdown but there is always a little milk there when I check after a feed so I know he is getting something. He seems happy to nurse for 15-20mins each time and doesn't tend to fall asleep on it so I don't think it comfort so he must be getting something out of it.

tigerlilly905

« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2011, 01:54:12 am »
Hi Vicku!!! :D  Congratulations!! So excited for you!!

Yes, Ali posted exactly what I was going to post for you.  Along with the More milk two and the Chlorophyll, I also ate a TONNE of oatmeal and drank a tonne of water. I kept Ds1 on the breast as much as possible and I also pumped whenever I could to help encourage my supply.  Through a dip in supply and a nursing strike from Ds1, we still managed to bf all the way through and are tandem nursing now.  :D  It's amazing what our bodies are capable of!  I was thinking I would wean Ds1 before Ds2 arrived, but it didn't really happen that way, and tandem nursing isn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would have been.  Ds1 still nurses at least once a day and will take his BM from a bottle as well. 

Anyways, congrats again! There isn't a lot of us on this thread, but we're definitely here for lots of hugs and support!! :D :-*

Offline Vicku

« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2011, 05:56:31 am »
Thanks both of you! :-*

Yeah, I eat oatmeal and have upped my water intake. Will look into More milk two, see if I can order it over the net. Don't think they sell it here. How does the liquid chlorophyll work? Is that a galactagogue as well? I've seen it mentioned on here before..
You're right Ali that Sienna will get most of her nutrients from the solids, and I'm not really worried about supply for that, I'm more worried she won't like to nurse if there's less milk and wean as a result. I suppose if that happened it wouldn't be that bad as she's nearly 19mos, but I'd like her to get some BM until about 2yo if possible. Also I was hoping to night wean her soon as those feeds are obviously just for comfort and habit ::) I've just not had the motivation to do it and she doesn't fall asleep nursing ever, she will finish the feed, then go to sleep with her dummies, and she naps independently so it's not really interfered with her sleep, apart from her waking for it in the night still of course :P Anyway, what was concerning me was that if I now dropped the nightfeeds it might impact my supply even more. Dk.. Well it's nice to have somewhere to talk about it :)

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2011, 13:36:58 pm »
Dropping your night feeds will almost certainly affect your supply whether PG or not but hopefully it will balance out to what she is taking during the day and not dip below that. I guess the only way to know is to try it. Maybe start taking the supplements you plan to first and give all that a chance to work before you wean the NFs.

tigerlilly905

« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2011, 02:42:49 am »
How does the liquid chlorophyll work? Is that a galactagogue as well? I've seen it mentioned on here before..

Yes, it's a galactagogue.  I was sooo desperate not to loose my supply I had read the entire "preg & Bf'ing" part 1 thread and it was mentioned by someone there.  I figured I'd try just about anything if it was safe :P  So yes, you can get it at the health food store. It doesn't taste the greatest, but the one I took had some mint in it, so it wasn't horrible.  I took 1 tbsp 3x a day.  I ordered the More Milk 2 over the net and they shipped to Canada.  Not sure about your end of the world, but it's worth looking into, I would think.

Personally, if I were you I'd continue with the Nf's for now, just to help your supply.  When you're preg it seems like you're fighting your body to keep your milk going (at least, that's how I felt a lot of the time) If you keep up with the Nf's I think it would only help in keeping your milk.  I guess you will have to perhaps think about weaning the Nf's closer to when the baby is due, unless you plan on doing Tandem NF's, and that might get exhausting ??? For now though, since you're still so early in your pg, I think the NFs are good to keep up.

Offline Vicku

« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2011, 11:34:02 am »
Thanks for your thoughts girls!

Hmm, tandem nightfeeds... that is one scary thought! :o Nope, don't think I want to be doing that LOL
DH is going away for a week (travels a lot with his work) so nothing will change night feeding wise for at least this week. Found More Milk Two at UK Amazon so could arder it from there. How long does a small bottle last? Might I as well order several? Will keep the chlorophyll in mind too.

tigerlilly905

« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2011, 01:57:38 am »

How long does a small bottle last? Might I as well order several?

Hum, I ordered a big bottle - 8oz and it lasted quite a long time. My tired mommy brain can't exactly remember just how long, but you should be good for a while.  I would get a couple of small bottles for sure, (maybe 2?)  and see if it helps you.  You can always reorder if it's working well for you.

Hmm, tandem nightfeeds... that is one scary thought!  Nope, don't think I want to be doing that LOL

This made me LOL! ;)  Ya, it scared me to even type it :P Eep!

Offline Vicku

Re: Pregnant and Breastfeeding/Tandem feeding Support Thread part 2
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2011, 18:31:37 pm »
Thank you very much Rebecca! :-*

Offline Vicku

« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2011, 18:35:32 pm »
To let you all know that we (the moderators) have decided to make this thread a combined support thread for pregnant and nursing mums AND tandem nursing mums. So the ones that continue to nurse through the whole PG and go on to tandemfeeding can stay and still support each other, and also share their experiences with new PG and nursing mamas :D Hopefully it'll become a bit busier too :)

tigerlilly905

« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2011, 18:47:12 pm »
To let you all know that we (the moderators) have decided to make this thread a combined support thread for pregnant and nursing mums AND tandem nursing mums. So the ones that continue to nurse through the whole PG and go on to tandemfeeding can stay and still support each other, and also share their experiences with new PG and nursing mamas :D Hopefully it'll become a bit busier too :)

Good call!! :D So funny actually. I was thinking the other day about starting a Tandem Feeding thread but didn't end up doing it b/c I didn't really have much to say at the time! LOL! ;) Thanks for adding that! xo

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2011, 12:11:52 pm »
Same here. For those who dont know us k is 2 today and feeding in the mornings and before sleep, but would do more if e could. b is 2mo and feeds every 2-3hrs in the day and 3-4 in the night. I usually give k the side b last nursed on so b always has a full boob since the hv told me i had to give up with k or b would be skinny. He is not. He is a chunk who is slowly jumping up to the next line on his chart just like k did.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2011, 21:50:26 pm »
Oh honestly KM, I take everything the HV says to me with a pinch of salt and do my own research because I often find a lot of their advice is their own opinion based on outdated info rather than actual currrent health guidelines or policies.

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2011, 22:26:06 pm »
I also found that Ali. That is why i didn't stop.