Author Topic: 5 mo bad napper had a routine now lost ???  (Read 22035 times)

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: 5 mo bad napper had a routine now lost ???
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 21:08:58 pm »
Oh ladies! You are not alone!  That phase right before they drop the CN is a freaking nightmare!  Those little micro naps of 10 minutes are for sure the culprit...

I actually had to force the dropping of the CN onto DD at about 5 months... she was resisting it at times and other times it was giving us BT battles!  I had to AP all naps for a couple weeks to get her adjusted to the new A times... needed her naps to be longer to get her through the day!  It was hell on earth at best... but we made it through and you will too!

Offline shresmummy

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2011, 04:38:55 am »
Oh Kara thanks for that! This morning I stuck to my guns and did a 2.5th a time. He gave me a 1.5h nap. But no such luck for the pm nap. What do I do with him? I tried for another 2.5th a time.he seemed fussy around 2.25. But not unusually fussy. Anyway I took him in and he cried. Then I came out again or 5 and he stopped. I stood outside the room though. Then went back in and he just moaned about and went to sleep during the wind down rocking. I put him down and he opened his eyes and went back to sleep. But then woke t 30 mins! He smiled. Is this an ut or ot nap? I had to resettle him in the sling cos I need him to nap. We have to go out this pm. He has taken 10 mins to reset and it's a restless sleep he is having!

Any suggestions on that pm a time? I don't think he can handle more than 2.5hr. Perhaps aim for a little less? But then he screams and protests. But then he wakes at 30 mins smiling. Aren't they meant to be ot naps if they're 30 mins?

Nice naps j and e! Hope the night went ok!

Offline j.and.e

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2011, 05:11:09 am »
tks! Unfortunately not great. Bt battle and couldnt get him down til nearly 8, then he woke again at 8.30 (until 9) then a couple of nws at around 1-3 and up for the day at 5.30. Suspect it was a 10 min nap in the car at 6.15pm that gave us the bt issues. Unfortunately i had to pick up a hire car as ours was stolen, and dh didnt want to look after both for 30 mins! Will try again today. Think it was about 2.5hr a time and then 2.45ish (a bit too long). Great naps, but am puzzld about him sleeping throu feeds, is this just what happens when a times get bigger? E.g yesterday he had milk at 6, 11, 4, 6.30, 10. Normally he would wake for 4-hrly feeds or be awake anyway after a short nap xx

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2011, 15:45:58 pm »
I actually found that our EASY changed into more of an EASAE type pattern soon after going to the 4 hour... Depends on solids intro as well.  DD has a bottle when she wakes around 515, then solids at 730, naps from just after 8 until 945ish.  She doesn't eat again until 1130/12noon.  Then nap again around 1-3, has a bottle around 345, then a bottle before bed at 645.  She STTN with that system.  Once we started solids, she really moved to eating at meal times as opposed to a bottle every 4 hours.

30 min naps at OT... How was he when he woke from that nice morning nap?

Offline j.and.e

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2011, 17:07:27 pm »
tks. 2day has been v. Similar we will have to see how he is 2nite. No extra nap in the car so hp bt bit easier. No idea what is going on with him. He is v happy during the day. Thanks for your help. He doesnt have solids so is just sleeping thru his feeds. Xx

Offline shresmummy

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2011, 03:41:34 am »
Dramas here too! He refused his cn for the first time yesterday.  I put him to bed by 6:10. We had a few early nws. Then he was up t 11:15 I fed him. Then again at 4 when h decided he wanted to play! Then it took him till 5 to settle again. Then he was up at 6:10.  I put him down at 8:30 but he woke in 45 mins. Then I could only resttl for 20 min till 10. I then. Put him down at noon for a nap. He again woke in 40. Smiled and when I tried to rock him back to sleep h just. Screamed th place down. I. Am now feeding to soothe him! I am clean out of ideas. What should I try,  when should I tr a cn? How long should I let him sleep if he resettled?

Offline j.and.e

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2011, 05:39:15 am »
i was getting short naps and long nws (usually unsettled btwn 2 and 3 but happy and chatty when i try getting hid up 4a nappy change). I assumed UT. We always get EW and have since about 6wks. Yesterday he did 2hr 40 a time then 2.5 hr nap (with 2resettles). Then 2hr 50 (tried to put down at 2hr 30 but took 20mins to get him down). He slept for 2hrs. I then put him down at 7pm after 3hr 15 and he didnt settle till 7.45. He woke at 9.30pm so i fed, he then slept through to 5.45am. A much better night. If today is similar i might try an earlier bt. Dificult to do without skipping his bath thou... Will keep trying, but i think going from 3 naps to 2 is just a bumpy ride xx

Offline shresmummy

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2011, 06:24:31 am »
So he didn't end up resettling for the pm nap. In total he slept 40 mins then another 15 or so when I was feeding to stop the crazy crying. But then he woke up ad smied and chatted. That was it!now I am aping a longer nap in the sling hoping he will sleep from 3:15 to 4:45. Then I can do a 7 pm bedtime. Hoping this will work!

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2011, 18:22:08 pm »
DS has been doing very well with the 2.5 A time. But that is with me.  WE will see when he goes to the sitter tomorrow.  He has been taking at least 2 hour naps!!! I also tried weaning the swaddle and he clearly isnt ready yet.  He fusses and fusses around until I give in an wrap him up.  His hands are his problem, he always wants to touch his face!!

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2011, 21:15:13 pm »
Wow, there is an awful lot of LO's with EW, NW and other things happening right now!  Sounds like I am in good company with the APOP ;)

That 3-2 transition is a real doozy!  We had a month of OT danger... and just when it's all over with, they start learning to sit and it messes everything up all over again :)

Offline shresmummy

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2011, 04:38:18 am »
I think we cant be at a lower point than right now! He had an awful night! Was up from 4-5:30 fussing chatting then crying and in the middle of that I was trying to feed him tosleep. Then finally he woke t 7:20 and I tried nap at 9:30 cos I thought he was tired from a bad night and he was fussy. Got a choppy nap and I apopd till 11. Then he was cranky all the next a time. He fussed to go  down at. 1:15 and only settled at 1:25 slept 20 mins and is now in my arms ! What do I do? Should I go back to 2 h a time? Or will that cause more issues? Should I just do sling naps for a few days?

Offline j.and.e

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2011, 05:28:47 am »
i dont know what to suggest. Rubbish nite here too. 2hr 45 then 1.5hr nap, then 3hr with a 1.45 hr nap, then 3hr 35 to bed (too long). Lots of wakings early on and a long nw btwn 3 and 4 am, then up for the day at 6. Praps will try shorter a to bed (even if its bed at 5.30pm) and if that doesnt work maybe switch cn and non cn days depending on naps. Trouble is so interested in everything we dont get many tired signs...

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2011, 15:56:00 pm »
j.and.e - once they hit the 5 month mark, the tired signs are so much harder to see!  But, red rimmed eyes are a dead giveaway!  As is the second yawn and more than once with rubbing their eyes... DD still does the seven mile stare at times too!

Shresmummy - I would honestly resort to a bit of APOP to get LO back on track...

Offline shresmummy

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2011, 04:21:05 am »
That is exactly what I have been doing Kara. Funny enough after an awful day we had an ok night. Wen to sleep by 7.30 after an apopd cn. Then didn't wake till 10!!! And even then I was planning to feed but when I lifted him out of the cot e fell asleep again so I put him back down and he then only woke. 12:30. Had a few brief nws but mangeabe. Then was up at 7:15. He showed tired signs so I put him down at 9:30 but he woke in 50 mins. Thhen slept another 20 in the sling. I took him in for pm nap and 2 h10min a time. He didn't fuss too much. And I watched him and he stirred at 35 mins and I stuk him in the sling again. Hoping to get a cn in too. If they wake up smiling that can't mean they were ot before going to sleep right? Or can they wake up smiling even from being delirious due to ot? If he woke up screaming before I knew it was ot. But he hardly does that anymore.

Offline j.and.e

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2011, 14:43:00 pm »
Plan 4an early bed didnt work as we had a parent evening to go too and dh had 2work... Not too bad a night, 2 early wakings 8.30pm ish and 1 at 9.45pm (fed), then a nw at 1am (resettle) then up at 5.30. Today has been another 2long nap day... 3hr a then 2 hr 20 min nap, then 3hr a and 1.5hr nap. Last nap finished at 3.20pm so will try for a 3hr a time to bed with no cn. He always seems to have trouble going to bed whatever i do thou, so not expecting a gd nite.