Author Topic: Is it really a dairy intolerance??  (Read 10706 times)

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: Is it really a dairy intolerance??
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2011, 14:29:58 pm »
... and I should add that I use a concentrate - not a powder.  Powder is harder for them to digest.

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2011, 14:36:55 pm »
Wow, Good Start, really?? How many different ones have you tried before you settled there??

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2011, 18:08:06 pm »
Our hospital uses GoodStart :)  I've used it from birth ... when the constipation started (bottle refusal was her first symptom), I tried her on Enfamil thinking that the refusal was related to flavour... she hated it.

Good Start is one of the best out there... my doctor recommends it first.  It digests faster than formulas like Similac or Enfamil, it's easier on the tummy.

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2011, 18:43:15 pm »
Ok, I will ask my doctor when he calls me.  He is supposed to call me today to discuss everything.  Thanks for all your help.  I am going to get the probiotic tomorrow as well. I will definately keep you posted on our progress. :)

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2011, 23:14:47 pm »
Good!  I really hope that you find something that helps your wee man!

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2011, 13:50:48 pm »
His pedi also recommended Good start.  So, I went to Walgreens last night and bought the ready made Good Start Gentle.  And, I started mixing half and half with the rest of his Nutramigen to ease his belly into it.  ANd, he was farting quite a bit last night.  Do you think thats a coincidence?? He only had 2 oz of the Good Start.....I hope this doesnt cause belly issues.  I am so nervous.....But he hates the HAF formula and will barely drink it and because of that I am up at least once a night b/c he is hungry. :(

I also asked the dr about the probiotic.  He said to wait and try just the Good Start first but I dont really want to listen to him.....So, I wanted to ask you, how long after you started the probiotic did you stop the miralax and how did you know to stop it?

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2011, 13:57:58 pm »
I can't think of any reason to wait before giving a probiotic unless it's to isolate a cause for something, but that's not really the issue here. ::) I'd start with it and see what changes if any you notice in terms of bowel habits and then decide what to do about the Miralax. No need to decide right now or set a schedule that I can think of.

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2011, 14:20:43 pm »
Deb-after reading back do you think I am safe to say its not a MSPI??

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2011, 14:24:47 pm »
Good question. I have seen cases where a dairy intolerance masqueraded quite well as reflux; in retrospect I suspect that my older DD was one of them. :( The only way to really tell for sure is to completely eliminate dairy and re-introduce it after sufficient time away from it, which this *might* have been to at least see a difference. But if soy was playing into it as well, that complicates things - and that's why only full-on elimination diets can confirm intolerances. Makes it so hard, doesn't it?  :-[ Having him so farty the night after you gave him the Good Start would lead me in the direction of dairy intolerance, but nothing solid.

But I have seen cases where probiotics gave relief from some colic-like symptoms immediately or at least within 1-3 days. BTW, if you are thinking dairy intolerance still, check the probiotics to see if they're actually dairy-free. You can give them a try since you already are giving him the Good Start and see if it makes a difference. Then you can tweak from there if you still think it might be a dairy issue.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 14:28:01 pm by deb »

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2011, 14:35:20 pm »
He didnt seem bothered by the gas like he was with the soy....he just farted a few times at night.  He has had "reflux" since birth and was EBF for the first 4 months of life and I rarely ate any dairy.  The real issue at hand here is the constipation.  I am just so nervous that I am doing the right thing.  But to be honest I didnt see any kind of change in the bowel movements on the HAF and I thought for sure after 11 full days on it I would be able to back off the miralax a little. 

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2011, 17:16:34 pm »
The toots could be simply because of a change in diet... DD can get quite farty with some things!  She makes her daddy proud at times... as long as it didn't bother him, I would assume it's normal.. everyone farts ;)  Babies just make more of a show out of it! LOL!

I would go ahead with the probiotics now.  They certainly won't hurt... if he has an upset digestive system, they will start to work within a few days... I was able to stop the Miralax on day 4.  I knew that I could reduce the dose because she was pooping a huge number of times in a day and everything was watery... she even pooped milk solids a few times, letting me know that everything was just moving way too quickly... If you are unsure of DS's transit time, feed him something like beets or blueberries - no mistaking those on the way out ;)

Alexandra was on 1 tsp in her first bottle and the same in her last bottle... after 2 days, I cut her back to 1 tsp AM and 1/2 tsp PM... then after another 2 days, I cut it completely out.  We are on day 13 with no Miralax at all and still pooping 4-6 times a day.  Although, I think I have found that she might be wheat intolerant... not celiac becuase she is fine with small amounts (gerber puffs, cereals etc), a slice of toast makes for a disaster though!

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2011, 17:19:09 pm »
Thanks Kara, going to get them on my lunch today!!! :)  Keep your fingers crossed for us the transition goes smoothly. 

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2011, 17:21:21 pm »
No problem at all hun!  I really hope this works for your little man - my fingers are crossed!!!

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2011, 18:06:15 pm »
I just got back from Walgreens and the only thing they have is the Bio Gaia ProTectis Baby, is that the right one??  It just says 5 drops a day? Mine is only a 25 day supply for $31.99 :(

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2011, 18:21:33 pm »
Not the same one I have but I am sure it is just fine!  Same brand and same number of drops per day ;)  I just checked their website and it is the same probiotic in it and the same dosage ;)

And yeah, mine was $40.