Author Topic: Is it really a dairy intolerance??  (Read 10694 times)

Offline mjohnson33

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« on: August 29, 2011, 16:09:04 pm »
Please help me, I am really questioning my ability to mother right now.  :'(  I feel so helpless for my 8 month old little guy and I dont know what to do.  Up until late Friday he was on Enfamil Gentelease ready made formula.  He had 2 really good nights Thursday and Friday night.  My sitter told me she was concerned with the amount his has been spitting up lately and the fact that his eczema has flared up.  He has reflux and is on Famotidine for it and has also been battling constipation since 4 months old.  He has also been the WORST sleeper since birth.  And I thought it was all tied in together.  So I called his pedi and I had to suggest that he has a milk intolerance and he said maybe switch to soy and see if it helps.  So, I bought Prosobee and started it at 1am Saturday mornning.  Ever since then he has been very gassy and very restless sleeping.  His spitting up has decreased with the exception of this morning.  The sitter called me and told me he is spitting puddles today!!!  I am wondering if its not an intolerance at all and maybe something totally different.  I think the soy made it worse?? Is 3 days enough to know whether or not its an intolerance?  I am so worried about him and I think I am making things worse?? 

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: Is it really a dairy intolerance??
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 16:39:19 pm »
It's not your mothering - we're all parenting as best we can but there's a lot of information that even the doctors don't know about or think to tell us about that isn't really common knowledge or practice. You're an awesome mother to go looking for answers!  :-*

A lot of babies with milk allergy or intolerance also have issues with soy, as I think the proteins are similar enough to provoke similar responses. Neither of mine tolerate either dairy or soy well even now as older girls (6YO and 9YO), yogurt being an exception (culturing alters the milk sugars and proteins enough that we can tolerate dairy in that form).

The dairy sounds like an actual allergy if it was causing eczema. MSPI can totally look like reflux - see this thread for a start: http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=189899.0

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 17:07:00 pm »
Thanks so much for the kind words!!! :)
Well he has only had eczema flare ups once or twice since birth so I doubt its from the formula.  I would think it wouldnt get worse with the soy....and it did....

Offline deb

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 17:18:46 pm »
Mine had issues with dairy but soy, WOW, let's just say the digestive consequences were....unpleasant.  :-X

Let's see what else it might be.... What solids is he on?

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 17:32:13 pm »
Ok, well it could be....my doctor suggested Nutramagin....they are leaving me samples at the office to pick up. 

He is on every solid except for bananas and carrots since they constipate.  I try to give him a large balance of fiber as well.  So he has a jar of fruits w/ oatmeal in the morning and at lunch he has 1 jar of veggies and for dinner its usually 1 jar of veggies and a few cookies....

Offline deb

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 17:41:28 pm »
What's in the cookies? A grain intolerance doesn't usually manifest that way but there's always an outside chance, but there could easily be dairy and/or soy in the cookies, and it may be a matter of quantity - in other words he might be able to handle the dairy or soy in the formula OR the cookies but not both.

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 17:45:10 pm »
Its arrowroot cookies but he doesnt have them every night....

Offline deb

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 17:52:16 pm »
Hmmm.... must give that more thought.

Definitely try the Nutramigen. Many moms have lots of success with it. The hardest part is getting LO's to drink it, as the taste is apparently quire different from most formulas/milks. It often takes a lot of perseverance, and sometimes mixing the old and new in ever-increasing proportions of the Nutramigen to accustom them to it, but it has been done!

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 17:54:53 pm »
Oh great!! So its horrible then?? Crap!!!

I thought for sure he would hate the soy and he actually liked it....so maybe he will like it??

I just know he is in agony from all the gas and he wasnt this way with the Gentelease so maybe I should go back to that.....

Offline deb

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 17:59:26 pm »
Not all babies hate the stuff - just enough that I didn't want you to be surprised IF it happened to you guys!  :-*

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

• Mummy in need of a month of sleep... PLEASE!!!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
    • Cupcakes and storm clouds my blog
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 18:37:37 pm »
at 8 months personally i would not try Nutramigen, Aptimil pepti might be a better start.

Nutramigen is FOUL! my pead said that at almost 3 months when Alyssa tried it she was almost too old to introduce it

I have tried every milk my babies have had, rangeing from breast (so i would know if the EBM was off) to normal formula, to soya then nutramigen and Neocate

Soya tastes hardly different to normal formula, Nutramigen omg!!! Neocate a bit blah but after Nutramigen very nice lol

DD1 Angel/Spirited - Glue ear
DD2 Angel - MPI, Excema, Late talker
DD3 Angel - Milk,Soy, nut,egg intollerence, Saliciyte sensitivity, Reflux

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 17:23:08 pm »
I think she is in North America and we don't have Aptamil here.

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 17:25:37 pm »
Yeah, we dont have that stuff here. :)  I tried the Nutramigen last night and he really didnt like it so I did 1/2 of that and 1/2 Gentelease and will slowly increase the Nutramigen and decrease the other until its all the HAF.  Hope it helps my poor little guy.  :)

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 17:28:31 pm »
ugh... My SIL used Nutramigen with two of her three and it took a couple of weeks for them to happily take it... there were good days and bad along the way, just like anything with a  baby really ;)

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 17:30:26 pm »
Thanks Kara, I also put a little splash of pear juice in it so it tasted a little better for him. LOL