Author Topic: 6.75month old horrible sleeper  (Read 7527 times)

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: 6.75month old horrible sleeper
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 03:59:03 am »
Hey hun, I'm on my way to bed, but wanted to let you know I'll check back in tomorrow.  :)

Offline jzozmom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 12:49:21 pm »
So yesterday our schedule was off due to doctor's apt.  Earlier nap to squeeze one in. So A time back to 2hr.  Here's what happened

E 6 BF
A 2hr solids at 7:40
S 8 to 9:30 1.5 hr
E 9:30 BF
A 2.5 hr solids at 11
S 12 to 2 
E 2 BF
A 4.5 hr solids at 4
S BF at 6 sleep at 6:30
E 9 BF woke up went back to bed after sleepy but not asleep
S until 2 stirred a little and slept until 2:35
E 2:40
S until 5 am
E put off eating until 6am to start day again

So weird so shorter A before first nap but longer A before second and I think too long A before bed.  But she slept the longest stretch at night we have had like ever.  9 to 2. 

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 19:02:00 pm »
Not so bad of a night there.  It could be that she just needs a longer A to bed in order to sleep better -- all of my 3 did better when their A times were longer before BT -- your 9PM waking could have been an OT one, so maybe it was a little bit too long but it might be something to keep in mind.  I notice you got 3.5 hours of naps in -- the 2 hour nap on the 2.5 hours of A time is great! 

Offline jzozmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 21:06:56 pm »
Yes Erin, I am definitely encouraged.  Today she got 3.5 hr of naps too.  I put her down with a first A of 2 hr 15 min and a second A of 2hr 30 min.  First nap 1.5 hr and second just about 2hr.  So now if the 9pm is overtired should I do an earlier bedtime?  Or is that kind of counterproductive because it may move up her other night wakings?  The way this schedule works is perfect for the school run.  I am afraid to give a catnap too close to bed. 

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2012, 02:39:15 am »
So now if the 9pm is overtired should I do an earlier bedtime?
I'd try it and see if it makes a difference with the 9 PM.  I'll admit that sometimes with the school runs messing with things, you're going to have some OTness in there anyway, I honestly think my ds just got used to it after awhile.

Or is that kind of counterproductive because it may move up her other night wakings?
It actually helps sometimes -- the NWs shift earlier and actually make it easier to settle them sometimes (it's often those wakings in the small hours of the morning that are the hardest to settle).

Offline jzozmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2012, 12:28:12 pm »
Good news is daytime seems to be settling for us.  DD has strung a couple of good days together and praying that stays.  So she skipped the 9pm waking but woke at midnight.  Bed was at 6:45 because time got away from me but she got a 5 hr 15 min stretch.  Just too bad I don't go to bed to reap the benefit.  In fact I couldn't sleep and was awake at 12am so I fed her since this again was her longest stretch.  NW at 3 and I calmed her holding her and with paci.  NW again at 4 and did same to calm.  EW at 5:15 same.  Up for day at 6am.  She doesn't seem hungry and if you believe in the 5 types of cries from that guy I can't remember, she had the tired cry not hungry one. 

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2012, 02:27:25 am »
So she skipped the 9pm waking but woke at midnight. 
Less OT from the day perhaps?

I could definitely believe a tired cry as opposed to a hungry one.  I'd still give your days some more time to settle and see if your nights improve on some consistent daytime sleep. 

Offline jzozmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2012, 13:36:40 pm »
Day was same yesterday.  Bed at 7, just how it worked out.  Didn't wake until 1:55, kind of sleepy cry, not really awake.  Tried to pat her back to sleep.  Around 2:35 still fussing and waking herself every minute.  Fed her since it was her longest stretch again!  Even though she wasn't outright crying, I knew it would put her back in a more sleepy state so I could go back to bed.  Then unless I slept through it, she did't start waking until 6:45 am.  Pressing my luck dh got her up and changed while I took a shower.  Feeding her now started 7:20.  Best day yet!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2012, 04:52:03 am »
Sounds great!  As she and you get more used to the longer stretches, I'd leave her unless she's crying like she needs you -- sometimes that fussing is just them settling back to sleep. 

Offline jzozmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2012, 14:22:45 pm »
Not as good last night but she didn't get as good naps because we were out running errands.  7 to 12:30 am slept woke crying and not settling so I fed her.  woke 4am waited until 4:20 to go in because she sounded like she was settling herself but just kept fighting.  Picked her up and gave paci because when I go in she goes from settling and a little whining to outright cry.  She wants me.  Settled her and then she woke up happy at7:30.  I let her play so I could get ready for church and she was still happy playing at 8 when I got her up.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2012, 22:59:17 pm »
Picked her up and gave paci because when I go in she goes from settling and a little whining to outright cry.
Sometimes when they do this, it's because you've interrupted their self-settling efforts by going in there.  Keep sticking with that routine, it sounds like progress to me.  :)

Offline jzozmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2012, 12:13:15 pm »
Sounds great!  As she and you get more used to the longer stretches, I'd leave her unless she's crying like she needs you -- sometimes that fussing is just them settling back to sleep. 

Woke 12am and I tried to stay out but 20 mins later she was still fussing.  No outright cry, just every few seconds a whine or soft wail.  Don't know how long I should give her to settle so I went in and gave paci without picking her up.  Woke again at 2:30 went from fuss to strong cry so I went in and fed her after diaper change because it was sopping wet.  Then she woke at 5:57 so I got her up for day.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2012, 01:45:48 am »
Sometimes they'll take a night or two and fuss for a little while and eventually go back to sleep.  It's really up to you -- there's a chance that she'll go back sleep if left alone, but if it bothers you (or when it turns to "real" crying) I'd definitely go in. 

Offline jzozmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2012, 12:25:21 pm »
Rough one yesterday.  Cried her whole second nap away.  Only thing she wanted was to be up and held.  So earlier bed because she was so tired.  Up at 1, 2:30 and 3:15.  I fed her then and she slept til 6 when I got her up for the day.  Btw thanks Erin for all your feedback, despite this setback I know we are moving in the right direction.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2012, 01:47:06 am »
Hard to look at the big picture sometime, isn't it?  Glad things are moving in the right direction!