Author Topic: 8 mo - long early night waking  (Read 8925 times)

Offline lily_layne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 65
Re: 8 mo - long early night waking
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2013, 15:53:47 pm »
I forgot to ask, do you think I should cap her naps a bit today or just let her sleep and see if tonight is better before making changes?
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2013, 16:01:07 pm »
Just because I asked that question, she's up after only an hour :(  I'll leave her a bit and hopefully she'll go back to sleep.  I know the A time was short, but she was miserable and giving tired signs the whole time so I didn't think she was UT but I suppose it's possible :-\  I guess maybe I should've pushed her a bit to keep her up longer.  Now our whole day's a mess :'(
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline PaulsMom

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2013, 02:16:50 am »
Hugs Lily.  Sorry, I was out all afternoon due to my home inspection.  Try not to stress too much if the first nap goes awry.  In cases like this, I wouldn't cap a nap unless it's running really late in the day.  Usually if my first nap is bad, then I hope for a better 2nd nap so that we can maintain a normal bt or do a slightly earlier bt (just a hair earlier).  I'm thinking that your DD has some set biorhythms, so she's expecting BT to occur at a certain time rather than after her A time has elapsed (does that make sense?).  I think this may be why the really early BTs didn't really work but she was waking early because that's what her body felt was right.  Having said this, let's hope that her 6 am wu habit has been broken!

Ok, let's take a step back and see where we are at. 

WRT WW, there is one at 37 weeks.  Is she clingy and fussier than normal?  Along the same lines, is she crawling yet?  Sorry, can't recall.  I'm wondering if she's starting to practice in her sleep again so that means to give her lots of opportunity to practice during the day. 

Her fever is gone right?  I guess she still has a rash but is that bothering her?

Also, has she cut her teeth yet?

I'm guessing her short morning A was due to the nw last night which may be in part due to hunger but may be also developmental stuff?  I think she's around the age for a WW so that may be throwing a wrench into things. 

I would start to increase her A times back up to where they were before (ie. 3 hr 15 or 20 min or so) as long as she's no longer sick. to address the teething, I'd either medicate prior to naps and BT if you think that she has discomfort.  Due to the WW, you may need to be close to her while letting her practice crawling, etc.  She'll need the reassurance of having you close by.  Since she may have a WW and teeth / illness, I'd let her have 1.5 hrs of really active floor time but then end 30 - 40 min of calm activities so she isn't too wound up to nap well.   

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2013, 02:36:56 am »
Thank for your reply.  I always feel so reassured after reading your responses.

This morning's nap turned out ok.  She went back to sleep pretty quickly. 

Today ended up like this:
WU: 7:20
S: 9 - 10:45
S: 2 - 4
From 6 on, she was rubbing her eyes a lot so I kept it very low key.
BT: I started at 7.  She rolled around quietly and put herself to sleep at 7:40.  So far there's been no cry out.  Does that sound like UT?

She easily did the 3h15 A time in the pm.  I'll work on stretching the am A time tomorrow.

I agree about the set biorhythms.  I've found that her naps have to be in tune with them or she short naps and I think she's starting to be that same way at  BT because I'm seeing tired signs at the same time every day so I need to get a routine going where BT lines up with that magic time.

One of her teeth has cut and the other is very close but her cheeks weren't rashy today.  Her fever is gone and her pink leopard spots are fading.

She was super clingy last week and is pretty content the last few days so I'm not sure if she's done this ww or not.  She's got her own unique version of crawling and she sure can boogie!

I agree the long NW might be mix of hunger, developmental and ww.  I was reading an old post from last time this happened and as far as we could figure, it was the same thing then.

Your plan sounds good to me.  I'll work on increasing the am A time and make sure she's getting lots of floor time followed by some mellow time.  If I push the am A time, should I cap the nap so it doesn't push the rest of the day too late and get out of sync with her rhythms?  What would be a good time to cap it at?
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline PaulsMom

« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2013, 02:57:53 am »
Quote (selected)
She's got her own unique version of crawling and she sure can boogie!
lol!

Quote (selected)
She rolled around quietly and put herself to sleep at 7:40.  So far there's been no cry out.  Does that sound like UT?
I'm thinking that she may have given herself the proper A before BT and then SS. so not really UT.  Having said that, I'd still aim for a BT between 7 and 7:30 just so you don't miss the window.  With the calm A before bed, she might be alright with being in her crib and putting herself to sleep.

OK, I think this is what I would do for the naps.  The afternoon nap was great so I'd aim to keep a 2-4 nap time in the afternoon.  As you push out the morning A, I would aim to cap the nap so that you can preserve the afternoon nap time.  Does that make sense? 

Now the thing to keep in mind, longer term, is that she will eventually have to get to just one nap which means that her pm nap will occur earlier in the afternoon.  Likely the am nap will occur after a shorter A time and capped quite a bit so that she's tired enough to nap mid-day.

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2013, 02:27:38 am »
I'm thinking that she may have given herself the proper A before BT and then SS. so not really UT.  Having said that, I'd still aim for a BT between 7 and 7:30 just so you don't miss the window.
I was thinking that too.  Tonight was sort of the same.  She only slept 15 min this am because we went out so she slept from 2:15-4:45 this afternoon.  I put her in her crib at 7:05 when she was yawning and she rolled around and cried out a few times until 8 so I'm thinking it was a touch UT with the long pm nap.  She STTN last night!  I slept in a bit and she was up when I woke at 7:20 so I'm not sure when she got up but I don't think it was 6.  Hopefully we'll get a repeat performance.  I'll keep BT between 7 and 7:30 for sure. 

I love the nap plan.  I'll push her A out 10 minutes tomorrow.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline PaulsMom

« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2013, 10:44:22 am »
Yay for STTN and no ew!   :D :D

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2013, 02:42:18 am »
I pushed her morning A a bit this morning and ended up with an unsettled am nap :-\  Today ended up:

BT: 7
EW: I think she was up at 5 and played for a bit.
WU: 6:30 - I got her at 7
S: 9:30-11:15 - She woke at 10:30 and went back to sleep at 10:45
S: 2:30-4:30 - She cried out at 3:50
BT: Started at 7:10.  She rolled around until 8:10 with only 1 quick cry out?  She was rubbing her eyes lots during the wind down.

She has a bump on her gum and red cheeks so there's another tooth about to sprout.  Should I just chalk the unsettled naps up to teeth (they caused a short one yesterday pm) and keep gently pushing the am A time?  She was fussy in the am, but happy and active the rest of the day. 

With BT, do you think that was UT,  OT, the pm nap ending too late, or should I just not worry about it since she went to sleep on her own with no crying?
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline PaulsMom

« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2013, 11:32:02 am »
Really not a bad day considering the teething. I'd hold these As for a few days and then bump them again.  I'd think that the teeth are the main cause of the cry outs especially if you see the bump.  Don't worry about bt, if he went down on her own without crying, then that's good.

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2013, 21:52:15 pm »
So I've somehow ended up with a very OT little girl (woke up screaming 30 min into her pm nap) and I'm not quite sure how we got here.

She woke up at 6 on Sunday morning so I'm thinking she was a bit OT by BT on Saturday but she had good naps and a great night so I'm not sure where we went off the rails.  Our last 2 days were:

Sunday:
WU: 6 - I got her up at 7
S: 9:10-10:45
S: 2-3:45
BT: 6:55 - cry outs at 7:30 and between 5 and 6

Today:
WU: 7
S: 9:30-11
She was crying and crabby at 1:30 - In hindsight, I should've just put her down then.
S: 2:05-2:40 - She woke up crying hysterically and I ended up rocking her for half an hour.  She would settle for a few minutes and then rub her eyes and wiggle.  Now, she's yelling happily in her crib.

What time should I do BT?

We haven't had a 30 min OT nap with this much screaming in a while and I'm just not sure how she got so OT.  Could it be from pushing her morning A time?  I've only added 10 minutes but maybe this is a sign she's not ready ???
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2013, 23:07:16 pm »
Where is she at with teeth sweetie? As PM says 'considering teeth' they really can mess up sleep! ;)
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline PaulsMom

« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2013, 23:48:26 pm »
Hugs Lily.  I'm surprised she's OT from 3 hrs 10 min and agree with Sara about the teeth.  Is she done cutting her top teeth?  I find my dd rubs her face a lot when the teeth are "moving" around.  If you can I'd target the same bt but keep everything low key.

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2013, 23:55:20 pm »
It could be teeth.  Her cheeks were really red when she woke up from her nap.  I tried for a CN at 4:40 because she was yawning like crazy but she just rolled around.  I'll keep everything low key and we'll start our wind down earlier in the hopes she's asleep by 7.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2013, 01:31:35 am »
After we tried the CN, she was totally mellow which was odd - usually she swings between hyper and crying after a short nap.  I haven't seen her this quiet in days.  She just sat and watched me cook and ate her supper without seeing how far she could chuck things!

You ladies have me thinking that it was more discomfort than OT.  It could be teeth or it could be because she's a bit constipated.  She also had some strange red dots on her face along with rashy cheeks - I popped over to the health and medical board to see if anyone knew what they could be.

I gave her advil for her teeth and we started our wind down at 6:15 and she finally just fell asleep at 7:20.  I had to go in and pat her at one point but she did go to sleep on her own.  We'll see what the night brings...
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2013, 20:12:35 pm »
With my first when teething he needed A times shorter and was cranky all day long ::) behaving tired when he wasnt because he is sore. With T he needs his A the same or cut a little but he will act tired so early. I I pd then he just protests and short naps ::) so I guess I'm just saying IMO teething does mess up their routine, tired signs and sleep lengths ::) :-*
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.