Author Topic: 7 month old night wakings  (Read 7363 times)

Offline Hellomama

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
7 month old night wakings
« on: September 23, 2013, 03:35:12 am »
Hi everyone, hope its ok to join, how is everyone going with the transition? I've been reading this thread from the beginning to try and get some tips but time hasn't allowed me to get too far. I have a question as I'm really confused. DS has had lots of nw, his am A was 2hr and his pm A was 2.5hr giving me 1.5-2hr naps and then I would catnap and things were great during the day. Now with the transition I'm getting naps ranging from 15-45m. I tried to push his am A to 2hr15m giving me 30m naps and then for the rest of the day his A would be about 2-2hr15m hrs, giving me another 30m, and sometimes a 30m-45m catnap. Not sure what to do today so I pushed for an am A of 2.5hrs got a 30m nap then 2hr15m A and got a 20m nap but I've just resettled him. Should I got back to a shorter A or just keep pushing a head? Or just go cold turkey and straight to an A of 3hrs since I'm getting short naps and nw now for about 2 wks. Any suggestions would be great thank you!

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: 7 month old night wakings
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 03:45:05 am »
Hello there ;D

How old is he?

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline Hellomama

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 04:00:54 am »
Sorry good question he just turned 7mths on 21st sept. To give you a rough idea of my day on avg
Wu 05:00-07:30 but for this example I will say 06:30 as this was my yesterday
E 07:00
A 2hr15m
S 09:45 - 10:15 (30m)
A
E 11am
A
S 12:30pm - 13:00 (30m)
A
E 15:00
S 15:15 - 15:45 (30m)
A 1hr45m
S 17:15 catnap refused it ended attempt at 17:45 so bath
E 18:15
S finally asleep at 19:30

Everyday is different though.. That's what is so confusing! I just extended his nap before after 20m and he is still asleep wow fluke! It's been an hr now since I got him back to sleep! So what A should I do after this, say he sleeps another 40m bringing the nap to a total of 2hr and a wake up of 14:40. Do I catnap or just early bt?

Offline Hellomama

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 04:03:41 am »
Oh and I had so many nw I ended up co sleeping last night.

Aww he just woke... It's now 14:00 and he slept for 1hr20m

Offline Layla

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 04:31:49 am »
Big hugs!

With us the earlier bedtime was the key - and some nights I would put J down as early as 5-5.30pm. She was very good at tacking on though. Even if your LO sleeps until 5am, he would have had more sleep overnight, which will make the "stretching" A's during the day more easier.

I wouldn't go to 3hrs cold turkey though. I think given that he's waking up so early, you might want to tone it down in the morning and maybe offer the 1st nap a little earlier. If his av wake up time is 6:30am, offer the morning nap by 9.30am (that is in bed and asleep by). When he wakes 30mins later, is he happy or crying? My LO still wakes at the 30min mark but she settles herself back to sleep. Try leaving him in the cot for another 15mins or so to see if he will put himself back to sleep...

So for tonight, given that he's up at 2pm, you could try a CN around 4ish but if he's not asleep say by 5pm then do a really early bedtime (like 5.30pm)

Offline Hellomama

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 05:49:13 am »
Thx for the fast reply! Ok I'm feeding him now, attempt catnap at 16:00 and see how we go. He cries almost at every wake up, not sure if its coz he is spirited or just tired. I usu leave him but he usu screams and I have to go in. He can't handle little sleep and I would have to keep him happy all day.

So ok am A is max 2hrs, what A should I do after that? If over hr nap then 2.5hr, if under 2hrs?

Offline Hellomama

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 05:51:23 am »
Am I doing a 2hr A before cn coz he hasn't had much sleep? Or coz he doesn't seem to be able to handle more? How long should I let him cn for? Thx

Offline Hellomama

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 06:24:54 am »
Layla he's asleep! Fell asleep but jolted a few mins later so asleep by ild say 16:10. Ok so how long should his A be before bt? This is probly where I always stuff up! If 30m nap then 1.5hr A and if 45m nap 2hr A? And cap at 45m?

Ok he woke after 10m I'm rocking him now...might just AP it...

Offline Layla

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 06:51:09 am »
Hey sorry how are you going? If you can't get him back to sleep by rocking i would treat it as no nap. On 30 min nap we could do 2hrs before bedtime but 45 min would be 2.5hrs.

Offline Hellomama

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 07:39:05 am »
Hi Layla I held him for 30m but I don't think he was even in a deep sleep at all. So he woke at 16:45, I will try get him to be asleep by 18:45. Fingers crossed.

Lately DS has been jolting after I shh pat him, he would seem settled and asleep but once I stop a few min later he would wake, do you think this is related to the transition? I end up having to pat him for a long time after I think he is asleep to make sure he is, or should I just let him jolt until he learns to sleep himself?

Ok he's screaming, gtg, thx again!

Offline Layla

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 09:59:39 am »
I just had a quick look at your previous posts (hope you don't mind ;)) and noticed that you are working on independent sleep. This might be another reason why his naps are short - he hasn't learnt how to fall asleep or put himself back to sleep middle of the nap :-\
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 10:12:37 am by Layla »

Offline Hellomama

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 10:41:17 am »
Nps Layla don't mind at all! DS use to sleep for 6hr stretches, and he could do long naps at one point, but no, he doesn't know how to put himself to sleep to begin with or if he has woken beyond stirring, so do you think this is why he is now giving me short naps? I'm not sure how to teach him, I use to rock but now sshh pat is my method, it works, but I still have to pat him into sleep as he fights me if he is drowsy. I'm not sure what more I can do, I don't see him ever learning!

Bt tonight was easy, he fell asleep at 2hr5m A, but woke up after 40m, then we settled him, then he woke 15m later and then again 15m later, and has now been sleeping 38m. Do you think it is from a build up of OT or something else, like his inability to put himself back to sleep?

Offline Hellomama

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 10:46:06 am »
Sigh, he just woke at 45m, I haven't had a night like this for a while, he would usu at least sleep for a few hours straight, I'm feeling so lost right now..

Offline Layla

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 11:05:34 am »
Big hugs hon,

I am about to go to sleep but will come back tomorrow with some more ideas on how we can help you tackle independent sleep for your LO. I hope he sleeps well for you tonight  :-*

Offline Hellomama

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 11:11:26 am »
Gnite Layla. Thank you for your help and support today. I noticed your also in au! Where abouts?