Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning support thread #12  (Read 183076 times)

Offline roseola

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
Re: Baby Led Weaning support thread #12
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2013, 00:56:52 am »
So tonight I gave cucumber, steamed carrots, and then because DS wasn't eating his chunks of grilled, organic, no salt added hamburger, I gave her a chunk and she LOVED it! She also really liked the cucumber, carrot not so much, but no real juice there.

And I have never posted a picture before, but you mentioned spaghetti and I cannot resist. Here is DS enjoying BLW:

« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 00:58:40 am by roseola »
Nini

Offline roseola

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2013, 01:11:52 am »
Creations - I just read this by you in another thread "the UK guidance is to not give any whole grain foods at all until 12 months," any other general "restrictions"?

TIA
Nini

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2013, 07:48:56 am »
Probably only what you already know.
Very very low salt (less than 1g salt per day, this is 0.4g sodium).
No/low sugar.
No honey until 12 months.
No whole nuts (due to choke hazard) otherwise there are no limits to introducing nuts in the UK, take advice if there is nut allergy in the family
No more than 4 portions of oily fish per week for boys, 2 for girls. No shark or marlin for children, no raw shellfish (and things like canned tuna should be in oil not brine due to salt levels)
Only Full fat dairy products, no reduced fat
No (or very little) whole grain foods

Erm, that's all I can think of.  In addition I took care with small round foods such as cherry toms, grapes blueberries and often squidged them or chopped in half. Sausages or anything of this shape should not be cut into 'rounds' as it's the ideal shape for a choke but usually with BLW we leave things much larger than that anyway.  Each country varies their guidance, this is UK guidance but I think it's pretty much standard stuff.

Offline roseola

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2013, 15:09:11 pm »
Thanks that is super helpful! We having nothing but whole grains, it's going to feel weird buying white bread!  :o
And I don't think I knew this with DS so he probably got whole wheat bread and pasta.
Nini

Offline creations

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2013, 19:06:25 pm »
I only rarely bought white bread, always with the intention to freeze it for him then just toast a slice from frozen but I don't think I ever got around to that. Here I gave him our wholemeal bread if he just had half a slice of toast or bread and then it would be white tortillas, naan, crumpet, brioche, etc etc  i did buy quite a few white 'bread' type things for him I suppose!  I would imagine you could drop a handful of white pasta into a pan of brown pasta, judge the timing of when to add it and then pick out his few white bits at serving.  I used to drop in a handful of penne or twists etc into the spag when he wouldn't eat the long strands (great pic btw).  Funny little people they are, he would get so upset if I gave him spaghetti so I didn't and then one day suddenly got upset that his meal wasn't identical to mine so from then on he got spaghetti and enjoyed it.
But he still won't eat even a mouthful of mashed potato  ::)

Offline Violet's mom

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2013, 23:42:09 pm »
Just checking in to thank you for your help!  Only thing is violet is not really eating her Vegis- suggestions?

Also, are GMOs banned in the UK?  We have to watch some of the things we give our LOs in the sates because our federal regulations on food are not good...

**Tracy**

Offline roseola

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2014, 00:43:06 am »
Nini

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2014, 07:32:39 am »
Jack doesn't eat much veg at the moment either but I just keep offering them along with everything else.  Sometimes he'll eat them, sometimes he won't!  I try not to worry about it, but there are some good recipes with hidden veg in them which I occasionally do.  The mamacook blog has some good ones.

Offline creations

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2014, 10:23:58 am »
Only thing is violet is not really eating her Vegis- suggestions?
Just keep offering.  I would try a range of different veg (not all in one go just over time) to see what her likes and dislikes are, also different ways of cooking. As example mine has never liked broccoli or cauliflower it's very obvious he doesn't like them as he tucks into veg that he does like. I have continued to offer them from time to time so that he continues to see them on his plate but I do not force him to eat them.  Eventually I discovered that he will eat long stemmed broccoli if I cut the flower head off!  He likes the stem, but I think he has issue with the texture of the flower, fair enough, he can get great nutrients from the stem there is no need to like everything.  He ate cauliflower once, one piece, it was roasted rather than steamed and he did say it was nice but I know that he tried it out of politeness and that he said it was nice out of politeness, he didn't want a second piece and never ate it again.
Meanwhile he has always liked asparagus, including the flower head, so we eat those more often, green beans, mange tout, sugar snap peas - eats them all so really for his nutrients he can live without broccoli/cauli.
He never liked potatoes, he would eat a couple of oven baked wedges, gradually would eat roast, then chips, and now boiled but not mash.  Boiled he only ate because I covered them in mint sauce which over time I reduced.
So, just try different things and don't give up. I am not totally against hidden veg but I do think they benefit from seeing clearly what each food is too.  Books with fruit and veg in can help with identification, toy food too (I avoided the packs of toys with all prepacked foods in and got only the produce toys, DS learned so quickly what each item was and can relate to these when we cook and eat, I'm sure the familiarity helps).  At the end of the day if they don't like something they just don't like it. If they are not in an adventurous phase they will be unlikely to try new things but keep offering so that if/when the phase hits they do have the produce their on their plate.

For hidden veg try a range of veg cooked down with tom puree added, whizz and stir through pasta.
Sweet potato or other veg in pancakes or mini muffins.
Bean burgers were a big hit here, DS almost lived on them for lunches I made them in batches with some other veggies added, fried them all, then froze them and lifted a few out when I needed them. Great out and about food, I didn't bother with bread rolls or anything, just burgers straight from a tub and he wolfed them down.  I believe in eating as a family but for a long time his 'lunch' was 10.30/11.00am when other kids were having a small snack at toddler group so I needed a substantial healthy alternative and bean burgers provided that.

Try raw grated carrot, steamed batons, roasted batons (with herbs sprinkled on too as another trial) etc.  If a food is taken in one form then experiment with the same food in another form because the variety may encourage them to try something else.  But really you only need them to like a couple of different vegetables and fruits to get a reasonably balanced diet.

Offline Miraclelim

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2014, 06:04:07 am »
Hi my baby used to be blw at 8 mth when she refused to be spoonful the i got better at 10.5 mth now atb12.5 mth I want to reintroduce blw. Se is eating her finger food like chicken bites, bread, fruits or fish finger fine. It's the veg that I have problem. I offer her broccoli n dip in cheesy sauce she wil pick it up and put in her mouth n chew it but then spit it out instead of swallowing. Same with cauliflower. Roast sweet potatoes or pumpkin she will 2-3 sticks before spitting it out again. What should i do pls help. How do I get veg in her without pureeing or mincing it?

Offline roseola

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2014, 01:53:36 am »
An update, we are doing great! Eating everything! Last night was pork chop, kiwi, sweet potato and squash. Tonight was chicken stroganoff in strips for DD without salt, avocado, and pear. DD really loves protein, including salmon. I think because it has the most juice to suck out!

Nini

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2014, 07:20:38 am »
Glad it's going well!  We're really enjoying it too. So glad I found blw :)

Offline creations

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2014, 09:13:46 am »
Lovely to hear you are enjoying your weaning journey - I got was totally enthralled and entertained watching DS eat!!

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2014, 16:51:51 pm »
A question for you all.... This last week jack seems to have gone right off finger food (which us his entire diet) and is putting food in his mouth and then spitting it back out again, then throwing all the food off his tray onto the floor.  However, he will happily eat two whole weetabix in the morning or a yoghurt if I offer it to him.  He possibly has molars bothering him and I render my daughter going through phases of preferring hard / soft food.  Is this what it is do you think,  or do I need to change something? Anyone experienced this at all?

Also, the last 2 days he's gotten lazy and won't feed himself a loaded spoon, he'll just open his mouth and lean towards it instead!  Just a phase or should I just put them on the tray instead of passing them to him?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 17:00:53 pm by LovelyLilyandJack »

Offline creations

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2014, 18:42:57 pm »
IME totally normal to go off food during teething or to have pref for certain foods. Mine liked bread sticks when teething, I think they are hard so give pain relief to the gum almost like teething ring.  Whilst he is throwing food I'd really cut back on how much you give in one go, 1 or 2 pieces on his tray/plate at a time, reduces the mess and frustration, throwing is not a great habit to get into but most likely because he just doesn't want the food.
WRT wanting to be spoon fed, mine kind of did that a couple of times too, if he is teething perhaps he just wants the extra loving attention that it provides?  I see no problem with it, if he brings his mouth to the spoon or pulls your hand towards his mouth then he is still leading, it's when the spoon is put to their mouth or they are coaxed that it becomes parent led rather than baby led iyswim.  After a couple of mouthfuls maybe just say "here, you take it" and see how he responds.  It's likely just a phase whilst he is a bit off.
If he will chew on raw celery it is supposed to have natural local anaesthetic properties which help with teething - I tell everyone this and have yet to hear of a single baby agreeing to chew on celery ;)