Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning support thread #12  (Read 183031 times)

Offline ginger428

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #135 on: May 06, 2015, 22:52:00 pm »
Great suggestions Creations! Fleur mentioned once to use muffin/cupcake pans to make batches.  Genius, must do that!

I also cut back on fruit this past week to recheck portions... read a thread on that. And thankfully, DS's appetite returned today.  He's been uncharacteristically picky and not eating well the past few days.  One of the shots he got for his 12mo check up did have a reduction in appetite side effect... I wonder if that was it.

Is the 12mo mark a huge leap in BLW and eating in general? He's been taking longer to eat as he seems more aware of well, EVERYTHING!  :D He was always observant but it's like on another level. Haha. Tips on drinking whole milk? I've tried diluting with water (don't have any pumped BM), offering it at every meal and other times, using different cups, making fun sounds, putting a teeeeeeny bit of chocolate, but to no avail. Just offering cheese, yogurt, and using milk to make meals. It would be easier just have him drink a sippy cup or two of milk a day without having to worry about adding dairy to his diet every day.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Baby Led Weaning support thread #12
« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2015, 07:11:05 am »
The mini muffin trays are good as they give a nice small portion. I used them to make little oven baked turkey meat loaf type things, lentil loaf type things and also oaty chews.  If you make things like burgers or pancakes and want to freeze them interweave them with baking parchment before freezing so that they don't all stick together, much easier to separate if they have the paper between.

Lots of BF LOs are reluctant to take milk from a sippy cup, even FF babies can be reluctant.  I would probably focus on one routine time per day to make it a habit rather than trying all day long. You may have more success with a straw, put your finger over one end, dip the other end in milk, then put it to LO's mouth and release your finger so the small amount of milk trapped in the straw is released, this can give LO the idea of how to use the straw.  Model too. I drank my tea out of a sippy cup and also with a straw to give DS the idea as LOs like to copy mummy.
I wouldn't go down the route of adding chocolate or other sweet things to the milk though, you could get yourself caught between a rock and a hard place if he actually takes it.

Offline newkidontheblock

• Showing Appreciation 42
« Reply #137 on: May 07, 2015, 08:19:28 am »
Lol:) I was imagining more of an open sandwich. Do we have a recipe for the mini lentil burgers/ frittas on here? Which lentils do you mean exactly? Also, WRT the oaty chews - how does it hold together without egg or flour? I tried it the other day and I got mush. She happily ate the mush but not what I was going for:p

Does he normally take a sippy cup, Ginger? Gosh, can't even begin to think about whole milk yet. Agree with creations though - watch out for adding stuff to get him to drink..it's a slippery slope.

I'm so impressed with E drinking from her sippy cup. It is 45 degrees here and dry, so I make sure to offer her often and she drinks so well. As in, tipping her head back and keeping it that way in order to drink enough. Smartypants girl. I have been trying a straw cup - not very hard -- I just bought a few use and toss ones as I heard it helps the learning process -- you can squeeze it lightly and the water goes up the straw but so far all that happens is the top pops out.

Do you think it would be okay to give Eris ice lollies or mango yoghurt popsicles? Could this lead to sore throats or a cold? Getting a lot of misinformation about this at the moment

Offline ginger428

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #138 on: May 07, 2015, 10:36:20 am »
Max drinks from sippy and straw cups on his own, and regular cups with assistance.  That straw method is how I got him to drink water and using the straw... it worked well. I'll try it with the milk.  M drinks water from a straw cup with every meal... should I use a straw or sippy for the milk to distinguish it or just the same cup?

Fleur, it is so awesome she does that! I thought it was so cool when M figured it out (first by imitating).

You know, I was thinking the same thing about setting a time in the routine, but our Ped said keep offering it to him.  I think it confuses him and offers too many chances to refuse it. I weaned him off the late pm nursing session and wanted to replace that with the milk upon waking from nap. He's refusing that nap but I"m sure I can offer it to him around that time.

Yes, I knew exactly what I was doing with the chocolate! Haha. I'm actually relieved he didn't take to it!  :P

Offline creations

« Reply #139 on: May 07, 2015, 10:58:54 am »
oaty chews recipe here
Re: Finger Foods (6 months+)
(I think there are some the page before too)
it's just oats, milk/water, butter/oil and dried fruit, then bake it like flap jack.

The lentil/bean burger type things. I thought I'd posted a recipe on the board but now I'm looking it seems it's not there. I'll have another look around later or post again (which reminds me ladies, any good stuff you come up with do add it to the finger foods recipe board please!). give me a nudge if I forget!!

Very briefly I use any canned (no salt no sugar, just water) bean or lentil because i am too lazy to soak or boil them, canned are pre cooked (if you can't get these get dried beans or lentils and follow the pack instructions for soaking and boiling, they must be cooked properly).  I whizz them (or whizz half to create more texture) along with some flour and flavours, almost like a pancake mix.  If the mix comes out thick I shaped in my hands into patties and fried or oven baked, if it came out looser I dolloped tablespoon sized 'cakes' into a frying pan in the same way I would make American/scotch pancakes to make small burger type things.
If you want more of a meat loaf type thing you can add breadcrumbs to the mix and fill mini muffin pan, bake in the oven until firm.
If you find LO doesn't like one type of bean they may love others, DS didn't like butter beans but loved all sorts of others.

flavours - I didn't add to salt to anything but was free with herbs, curry powder, paprika, garlic, tom puree, cheese anything to add flavour/seasoning and made a note of which DS liked.
I also used up any left over veggies, just threw them in the whizzer along with the beans.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #140 on: June 24, 2015, 21:02:21 pm »
We're just starting BLW with my 6mo DD. This week she has tried banana, red pepper, pitta, houmous, carrot and pizza crust (that was at a birthday party!). It is very hot here and she is teething so I have been mashing half a banana and putting it into some chunky ice lolly moulds and freezing it. When my boys had an ice lolly she had one of the frozen banana ones. She loves it. I'm not following any plan, just giving her whatever part of our meals I think is easy for her to try.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline creations

« Reply #141 on: June 24, 2015, 21:23:11 pm »
Wow - where did 6 months go??
Oh it sounds really exciting, the start of this lovely discovery of food :)

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #142 on: June 24, 2015, 21:31:00 pm »
I love it. She gets so excited that she sometimes yams it into her eye or nose in a bid to get it in her mouth. It is quite comical.

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #143 on: June 25, 2015, 02:24:23 am »
Adorable. Banana was a first favorite here too. I've made ice lollies too but Eris prefers to stick them up her nose or ears: p

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #144 on: June 25, 2015, 09:51:28 am »
Thought I would show you a few snaps

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #145 on: June 25, 2015, 11:22:27 am »
She's gorgeous. And so happy with her food

Offline creations

« Reply #146 on: June 25, 2015, 12:22:23 pm »
So cute!
And snaps open on her nappy already!
I really see you in her Ali.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #147 on: June 25, 2015, 19:41:18 pm »
Thanks. She is actually a little chunk. All my kids were until about 7mo when they started eating more solids and moving around more. My HV used to say I must have the gold top milk!  :P

No one ever says my kids look like me. They all say they are like DH or she is like Cadan so that's nice to hear. She does have my blue eyes  :)

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #148 on: June 30, 2015, 17:59:04 pm »
I saw on FB but how did you do corn and salmon?? Thomas has no pincer yet.

We are BLW due to reflux and food refusal. He's doing OK I guess. Lots of gagging though.

He is confirmed CMPI after a dairy trial now, just to make it harder  ::) ::). Megan gave him some yoghurt and we was sick all day, with a big reflux flare as well. Poor babe.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #149 on: July 01, 2015, 22:37:06 pm »
It was babycorn so I just gave her the whole cob.
http://catalog.wlimg.com/1/1267366/full-images/fresh-baby-corn-936383.jpg
And the salmon was an oven baked fillet so I just gave her a strip to hold in her fist. I usually hold it out and she grabs hold of it. She hasn't got a pincer down either so everything is finger shaped.
We're having great fun. She had the components of fajitas the other day, sticks of pepper, avocado, chicken and tortilla wrap.