Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning support thread #12  (Read 183127 times)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Baby Led Weaning support thread #12
« Reply #150 on: July 14, 2015, 14:00:00 pm »
What are people giving a 7mo for breakfast? I need some ideas for things that are very quick and not *too* messy. I've been doing porridge fingers (so messy), peanut butter on toast or fruit and veg sticks but they are all messy and take time to prepare. I'd love some savory ideas that I can just grab and go. I'm planning to try rice cakes this week. I generally have time to do more prep and clean up for lunch or dinner.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #151 on: July 14, 2015, 14:02:48 pm »
banana?

strips of (cold) pancakes or omlette that you cook in advance?

oaty fingers (like flapjack but without the sugar/golden syrup)
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline newkidontheblock

• Showing Appreciation 42
« Reply #152 on: July 14, 2015, 15:35:08 pm »
^^ all of the above

Pancakes are great. You could make some in advance and freeze them, and then defrost as needed. I also make oat cakes with grated fruit/veggies and freeze.

Eggs are also a good plan. DH makes omelettes for Eris or nowadays, microwaves an egg for her ( whisk egg in a bowl. Pop in microwave for 20 seconds. Flip. Another 20 seconds) Or you could make some boiled eggs in advance.

It doesn't necessarily have to be 'breakfast' stuff, right (I mean, what do they know :P) I've been making lots of breakfast egg muffins and freezing lately with fillings like broccoli, ham, chicken, spinach, random fruits/ veggies

Then how about hash browns but made with sweet potato and then you could add spinach, cheese or any other veggie you have - again could be made and frozen

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #153 on: July 14, 2015, 20:23:01 pm »
Thanks everyone.

Banana is soooo messy! We've been doing lots of that and I've even been rolling it in some baby rice a friend gave me to make it easier to hold onto but it still just gets smeared everywhere.

How are oaty fingers different to porridge fingers? Or are they? I've just been cooking milk and oats into a finger shape to hold but they break up easily.

I guess there aren't many grab and go foods unless I do the prep in advance then? We've tried pancakes and omelette cooked fresh on the weekends but I don't have time for that in the week. Maybe I could try the microwave version.

Are breakfast egg muffins just whisked egg in a muffin case with various fillings?

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #154 on: July 15, 2015, 02:27:19 am »
Pretty much. With various fillings and seasonings. Good way to use leftovers. I make oatcakes similarly to pancakes. Eris never liked over chewy stuff

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #155 on: July 15, 2015, 08:29:23 am »
Oaty chews (as I call them) are different to porridge fingers. You cook them in advance and they are drier more like a flap jack, made with banana, a drop of milk or water, dried fruit if you like. There's a shop shelf variety of similar which is very fine grain which you can do by whizzing all/some of the oats when they are dry. They don't need to be as crumbly as flap jack, esp if you pack down the mix before cooking (either cook on a tray in a rectangle and mark out squares/fingers or pack into mini muffin tray to make individual portions).  it was one of the cleanest out and about foods we did.  Recipe with a few ideas on the finger food board I think. Let me know if you want me to dig it out. I froze batches.

Omelet made in one of the little one egg pans, take 1 min from getting the pan out, although you need time for it to cool.

Like others, pancakes, mini muffins...

DS had a shop bought muesli (cow and gate 10 months but I ignore the age!) which I mixed with a VERY small amount of milk, as though it looks like it won't be wet enough but it does mix in. Then roll into balls. He ate muesli balls for a couple of years as finger food.

Offline cath~

« Reply #156 on: July 15, 2015, 11:54:04 am »
this is the sugar free flapjack recipe I've made:
http://mamacook.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/sugar-free-flapjack-for-babies-toddlers.html

they taste great but they are quite crumbly still
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #157 on: July 15, 2015, 18:49:20 pm »
Thanks all.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #158 on: July 15, 2015, 21:15:35 pm »
Thanks. I've bought the ingredients to make the oaty chews and also the musli.

Creations what is your view on the high sugar content of the musli? Ok because it's naturally occurring in the fruit?

How did people build up the number of meals with BLW? I'm offering 3 times a day already unless she is asleep for one meal, then it's only twice. It's hard to eat in front of her if she doesn't have at least something! Some "meals" might just be a few chunks of melon but for example dinner tonight was a few strands of spaghetti, 1/3 filet of salmon and 1/2 banana. I guess lots ends up as mess on her, the highchair or the floor though. She is still having lots of milk 5 or 6 BFs in 24hrs so I guess it's OK to have 3 offerings a day while her solid intake isn't massive and her milk intake remains high enough?

Btw, the boys had ice cream cones for dessert and I gave DD some banana slices I had frozen and then mashed while still frozen. It was just like banana ice cream! I just loaded the spoon and handed it to her. She loved it. I tried that with a very ripe avocado yesterday though and she wasn't keen.

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #159 on: July 16, 2015, 02:00:39 am »
Our meal count is still low compared to others in my BC. She has breakfast, first lunch, second lunch and a snack. First lunch is supposed to be a snack but DH.. ::) This works for now. I still don't know how to include dinner because I wake her from her nap at 2.30. We first nurse and then have lunch. By the time she's through it's nearly 4 on most days - she eats a lot here. And then I have to offer dinner by 5ish latest because we then go to the park and start BT routine at 6. Any ideas??

Regarding muesli, I bought a sugar-free one for DD (Baggrys)

Oh and nice idea about the frozen banana. I've been making fruit & yoghurt popsicles for Eris through the summer. Basically I've been freezing a smoothie in ice trays and putting in a cut straw for her to hold on to.

Offline ginger428

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #160 on: July 16, 2015, 02:30:14 am »
Popping in as i still get updates to this topic...
That is a classic picture of BLW Fleur!! Haha. What a cutie! Great bib, what is that? Looks washable too.

We do pretty much what fleur does except most times M will eat a large, hearty snack at 3 and another light meal at 5/5:30. Other times it's big meal around 2:30/3 then snack at 5/5:30. So basically these last two meals are any combination of snack/meal depending on how much he eats. But he's a fast eater so we have that luxury of time in between.

Love your food ideas everyone, and am stealing them. :) keep them coming please.

I have two to throw out there...
My cousin made a smoothie for M with frozen banana, frozen strawberries, chia seeds, almond milk, almond slices, and a small spoonful of peanut butter. Not the traditional flavor of amoothy but yummy nonetheless.  Loved the idea of getting extra protein with the seeds and nuts.. She said she adds a little spinach sometimes.

M had pasta tuna salad today. Made with overcooked fusilli. The tuna salad nicely mixes into spirals of fusilli that makes it easy for M to pick up and eat... And get all the goodies.
Canned, salt free, small tuna, mayo (i use avocado sometimes), little bit of very finely chopped onion and celery, lemon juice or lemon pepper. Sometimes add chopped tomato.
A friend makes this with chicken and adds grapes and nuts. Sorry i meant raisins, not grapes.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 02:32:44 am by ginger413 »

Offline creations

« Reply #161 on: July 16, 2015, 18:03:58 pm »
Creations what is your view on the high sugar content of the musli? Ok because it's naturally occurring in the fruit?
Personally, yes.  From what I remember the baby/toddler muesli pack I used to buy was (IMO) fine, yes sweetened with dried fruit but also fortified (which my LO could do with as he was low on formula intake...so I felt something fortified might be better than plain oats iyswim...although he wouldn't eat porridge anyway), it was also the only shop shelf baby food I bought. These days I buy regular muesli, without added sugar but still with dried fruit sugar. I'm fine with that.

Offline cath~

« Reply #162 on: July 16, 2015, 18:49:09 pm »
Our meal count is still low compared to others in my BC. She has breakfast, first lunch, second lunch and a snack. First lunch is supposed to be a snack but DH.. ::) This works for now. I still don't know how to include dinner because I wake her from her nap at 2.30. We first nurse and then have lunch. By the time she's through it's nearly 4 on most days - she eats a lot here. And then I have to offer dinner by 5ish latest because we then go to the park and start BT routine at 6. Any ideas??
sounds like she probably eats the same as most LOs (which is a huge range anyway) her age, just spread over the day differently.

What time is her nap?  If you really wanted to do 3 meals, how about
breakfast
v small am snack (couple of chopped pieces of fruit)
lunch immediately before nap
pm snack shortly after nap
dinner at 5pm

When H is at nursery they do:
breakfast at 8.30am
small piece of fruit around 10am
lunch 11.30 (cooked meal + dessert)
then nap
milk + biscuit 2.30pm
tea at 4pm

I then offer her a supper/snack at around 5.30pm (eg humous on rice cakes, fruit) when she gets home or I feel tea is a bit early, but we do similar routine at home except lunch is more like 12pm, pm snack at 2.30/3pm and then dinner at 5/5.30pm (I aim for 5 but some days it's more like 5.30pm).

Does any of that help?

DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #163 on: July 17, 2015, 02:28:27 am »
Definitely! Great ideas. Thanks cath :-*

Offline creations

« Reply #164 on: July 17, 2015, 06:07:48 am »
Regarding muesli, I bought a sugar-free one for DD (Baggrys)
(gorgeous photo btw)
Is there no fruit in it?
The muesli I got for DS as a LO was this one, it has no added sugar but there's fruit sugars, here's the ingredients
http://www.cowandgate.co.uk/article/my-first-muesli
I didn't have a chance to find it yesterday. There are some baby cereals and rusks which have sugar added (even the low sugar rusks are higher sugar than is needed I think) but as Ali said the fruit sugar in some might also be something to think about. For me I didn't mind but I wouldn’t' let him snack on dried fruits all day or there's be a problem for teeth.

Ali, 3 meals already, I'm surprised based on 'knowing' you ;)
 Sounds like she is really enjoying everything you're offering

ginger have you seen the finger foods thread, might help with some ideas too?