Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning support thread #12  (Read 183055 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Baby Led Weaning support thread #12
« Reply #210 on: June 13, 2018, 08:59:09 am »
Have fun :)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #211 on: June 13, 2018, 22:38:00 pm »
Wanted to add that in the UK the guidelines are that you can give all foods except the ones to avoid that Creations listed. No specific advice re waiting to introduce meat or berries. We avoided the foods advised too.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline dache

• Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #212 on: June 19, 2018, 14:21:51 pm »
A couple of follow up questions.

What kinds of plan/nut milks do you use as a substitute to cows milk?

She is really not getting any food in her. All foods go on the floor. I`m not worried about her being hungry as she is nursing great, but I was wondering if I should expect her to eat the foods? Everything she gets her hand on goes in her mouth except food.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #213 on: June 19, 2018, 21:08:31 pm »
Seren does put all the food in her mouth but it took a few weeks for her to learn to chew.

We just use cows milk but I know lots of people use Oatly Barista which is a fortified oat milk. I think any except rice milk is ok.

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #214 on: June 20, 2018, 05:52:43 am »
I use formula - is that milk free?

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #215 on: June 20, 2018, 08:38:19 am »
No, typical formula is based on cow's milk and contains CMP. You can get special formula milk for dairy allergies but it's mostly on prescription I think. 

The Oatly I mentioned by the way was for making solid food not as a drink. Babies under 12mo shouldn't drink any other milks apart from breastmilk or formula.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #216 on: June 20, 2018, 08:40:39 am »
What kinds of plan/nut milks do you use as a substitute to cows milk?
You can use cows milk in food if there isn't an intolerance or allergy.
Like Ali said you can use any nut or soy milk but not rice milk.  If LO is allergic to cows's milk though you you might not be able to use the soy milk (if MSPI).
There are MSI formulas available although I hear they taste awful so perhaps not something you'd want to use in cooking if it's for the whole family.
LOs under 1yo shouldn't be given any milk other than breast or formula as a drink, but it's okay used to make solids with.

Here's a bit from the UK NHS website on milk:
Quote (selected)
Soya drinks and other milk alternatives

You can give your child unsweetened calcium-fortified milk alternatives, such as soya, almond and oat drinks, from the age of one as part of a healthy balanced diet. Toddlers and young children under the age of five shouldn't be given rice drinks, because of the levels of arsenic in these products (see more below).

If your child has an allergy or intolerance to milk, talk to your health visitor or GP. They can advise you on suitable milk alternatives.
Rice drinks

Children under five shouldn't have rice drinks as they may contain unsafe levels of arsenic. Arsenic is found naturally in the environment and can find its way into our food and water. Rice tends to take up more arsenic than other grains.

Don't worry if your child has already had rice drinks. There's no immediate risk to them, and there are unlikely to be any long-term harmful effects. But to avoid the possibility of them taking in any more arsenic, it's best to switch to a different kind of milk.

The special milk formula (for MSPI) can be bought over the counter from certain pharmacies in the UK but not all pharmacies would necessarily stock it.  And it is expensive. And, yes, it is usually on prescription but doesn't have to be.