Author Topic: Just started, tiny amounts but now pooing all day and night!  (Read 8116 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Just started, tiny amounts but now pooing all day and night!
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2015, 10:29:57 am »
I don't think there's any problem with the added vits.

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2015, 10:31:11 am »
Ok thanks :)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2015, 11:29:38 am »
I've never heard of being careful about too many vitamins.  Apart from a *very* large excess of vitamin A it is not harmful for babies to consume too much of a particular vitamin as any extra will just come out in their urine. 
http://www.parenting.com/article/ask-dr-sears-vitamin-overdose

I would be happy to use ready break. I couldn't see any reference to milk and it says it is 100% oats plus vitamins so maybe it is just that milk products are handled in the same factory.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline trimbler

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2015, 14:25:46 pm »
Ah yes must have been retinol I was thinking of! Thanks for the links :)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2015, 14:56:30 pm »
Btw it is just cross contamination risk http://www.weetabix.co.uk/downloads/Milk%20Lactose.pdf
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline trimbler

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2015, 19:48:34 pm »
Thanks will buy some next weekend... :)

Offline trimbler

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2015, 21:29:33 pm »
Hi again, well I did buy Ready Brek and she loves it :) She had it three days in a row at breakfast, mixed with apple/banana and made up with breastmilk, and napped poorly the first two days, the third I'd made it too stiff so she only had a taste and she slept loads better. She only really cries like that when in some sort of discomfort, and the first day she had a long hard crying episode after bedtime too, which is very rare, I just could not comfort her, could only hold her until she had worn herself out enough to go back to sleep. No poo that day, which is also unusual. Left it for a few days, during which time she slept like a champ, tried again this morning and unsettled naps again with no poo. Not as bad as when I first introduced it, but still, it doesn't feel like a coincidence?

I can't help wondering if it's just that her gut is a bit immature and will get better with time? When I first started her on solids at 6mo she only had the tiniest tastes, not even opening her mouth properly, but she was really unsettled and I thought in discomfort. But one month later she was absolutely fine with the same foods. I never thought oats would be a problem but maybe I should just keep trying from time to time? Could also be just that she really did like it and so ate more than she often does, although she's eaten just as much on other days with no problems.

Offline creations

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2015, 18:35:30 pm »
Hmm, if you suspect the oats affecting her poo/sleep/discomfort I'd hold off for a bit and try again at a later date and see if she has the same reaction again after a decent break.  I'd check ingredients on any foods you give for the next couple of weeks to ensure everything is oat free for a time, then try again.
It is possible to have an oats intolerance, and I think it's also possible to be intolerant to certain types of oats and not others (depending on the gluten level)
Quote (selected)
6) You can be allergic to any foodstuff

TRUE: This is true in theory, but in fact just a handful of foods are to blame for 90% of allergic reactions to food in the UK. They are: celery, cereals containing gluten (including wheat, rye, barley and oats), crustaceans (including crabs and prawns), eggs, fish, lupin, milk, molluscs (such as mussels and oysters), mustard, nuts (including brazil nuts, hazelnuts, almonds and walnuts), peanuts (groundnuts or monkey nuts), sesame seeds, soya, sulphur dioxide or sulphites.
from this NHS site:
http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Documents/Food%20allergy%20and%20intolerance%20myth%20buster.htm

Offline trimbler

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2015, 21:37:34 pm »
Ok thanks, sorry to be dim but how long is a decent break? I doubt she has an actual allergy, since she seemed to be affected by everything when I first started her on solids but is now fine with the same foods. So hoping it will be similar with oats? So far she's only had pear, apple, banana, sweet potato, squash, parsnip, baby rice and chicken, plus of course the Ready Brek. I've been wondering if it's possible that the persistent green stools with mucous which she had for her first few months mean that her gut has just needed a little longer to heal and so she may not be ready for certain foods until a bit later?? The GP seemed to think she'd be fine with anything from 6mo but I haven't seen her since starting solids. I've been holding off dairy for a little longer as you know and was planning to introduce wheat once oats had been successfully introduced - do you think I should hold off introducing wheat for now too? Her stools have been pretty much fine from about 4mo I think, once the tongue tie, oversupply and silent reflux had been addressed. She did have stool tests for intolerances which came back negative, I know there's still a chance of false negatives but as I said the stools eventually became normal and I hadn't changed my diet.

She does also get dry skin/rashes but these have been explainable by heat/cold or exposure to different fabrics/detergents, and cleared up eventually with emollient. DS also had sensitive skin like this as a baby but grew out of it.

Thanks again for your help!

Offline creations

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2015, 08:05:01 am »
You left her for a few days without the oats before so I would go a full week or 2 wks with no oats, and yes I'd avoid wheat and other grains too (seems go with rice so perhaps continue that), then when you try the oats again make sure she is only having other foods you know she is fine with, those you have listed which have not caused any reaction at all.
An allergy is different to an intolerance. Introducing again in 2 wks may show no negative symptoms. But if she is unsettled and screaming again, with tummy pain, gas, or no poo etc I think that would be a pretty good indication to hold for on oats for the time being and try again in a few months.

If an oats trial in 2 wks has a negative effect I would hold off on grains another 1-2 wks to get her back on track before trialing another grain. It isn't necessarily a reaction to all grains.

Sorry I don't know enough about stool tests for intolerance etc to comment. I do know I have had repeated stool tests for something which repeatedly came back negative when later it was proven (from gastroscopy/endoscopy and biopsies) that I had HP which 'should' have have shown in a sample.  Same has happened to others I know IRL...as a result I am kind of cautious of test results.

Offline trimbler

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2015, 10:07:11 am »
Ok thanks that's really helpful, will do just that :) Somehow it was always obvious to me with DS, he just had issues with constipation which were fairly easily rectified, and was gassy with broccoli and cauliflower to start with, so pretty easy to eliminate. It will certainly be a challenge if we do end up having to work around intolerances, no experience of that at all in either family! Trying to stay hopeful that it's just her gut learning how to digest solids, she's just started passing 'pastier' stools so maybe she's just having to learn how to push them out??

Offline creations

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2015, 13:02:10 pm »
It could be. There was a HV who once told me she felt too many stool softeners or laxatives were given to babies when they started solids which could effect how they learned to push - because they do need to really push when they move from milk poos to solids poos (more so from breast milk I'm sure).  So, yeah they need to learn to push the poo, but clearly you don't want a constipated LO either, it can cause more issues.
An intolerance of some sort now doesn't necessarily mean she'll never be able to have those foods.  Try not to worry until you know more.  I had to avoid soft/raw pear for DS, all citrus fruits, and be very careful (limit) of red/orange foods and he is totally fine with ALL of those now.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2015, 14:13:26 pm »
Just jumping in here to add (here in Canada at least, not sure if the same applies) that while oats in and of themselves are gluten free, technically all oats here, unless specifically grown and manufactured in gluten free facilities, are considered cross contaminated with gluten from other grains.

It could certanly just be an issue with more solid poos. We have had intolerances with all our kids and are just down to DD2 being gluten free - which was hard at first but is a no-brainer now!
Heidi

Offline trimbler

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2015, 15:36:28 pm »
Ok thanks - what a wealth of information you both have :)

Offline creations

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2015, 09:21:43 am »
Let us know how you get on.