Author Topic: He never seems to completely konk out!  (Read 9572 times)

Offline *foxy*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 10
Re: He never seems to completely konk out!
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2015, 09:31:31 am »
Hi. He had a high temp last night :( did well though considering. Had 5oz of formula at 10pm - he was very keen. He had wanted a bf before then so was very unsettled from 8.30-10 plus he had the temp. He was wriggly from 3.15am but not upset. Became more agitated at 4am and was hot again so offered the bottle and calpol - he only took 2oz of formula. He wanted a bf so he was unsettled from 4-6.30.

I don't think that's too awful for our first night of dropping the breastfeeds?

*Kate*

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2015, 15:02:04 pm »
Not too awful at all honey  :-* :-*.

He def fed less though didn't he??

He is used to quite a lot of night calories isn't he?? But we can soon change that I think  :).

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2015, 16:46:56 pm »
Yes. He definitely fed less. And yes used to take on a lot of calories at night. He's off his food today due to this cold but have given him an extra bottle instead.

*Kate*

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2015, 18:02:45 pm »
Yes, definitely a start! It's really tough to make changes when they're not feeling well, too. Hope he comes around soon. (((Hugs)))

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2015, 10:54:05 am »
Thank you :)

Not the best night. But he has got a bad cold bless him. He napped 9.30am - 12! With my help. I let him bc of him being poorly. But it messed up the rest of the day. He had 10 mins in his pushchair with his granny whilst I picked up dd from school. And that was it! I tried putting him down again but he was having none of it. BT was 6.30 as he seemed fine. He only took 3oz of milk. Then he woke 5 times between 6.30pm and 8.30 and was wide awake from 8.30 until 10.15! Gave him a bottle at 10pm - he had about 3oz. He woke at around 1.15 I think. And needed a little drink. Offered a bottle at 3 and he had 4oz. Up at 6.30. Very unsettled all night!

He is still waking at around the 30min mark during naps. Wide awake. Am I not helping by resettling him on me? Otherwise he won't go back to sleep. I try transferring him back into his cot but he wakes up. Do I just get him up after 30mins if he won't resettle in his cot or try and get a good nap as best I can? He only wants to suck my finger atm. He was doing well with his thumb before this cold. Sucking is his real comfort.

*Kate*

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2015, 15:07:22 pm »
Is he congested? That will make it hard for him to suck and feed and reduce the amounts he takes.

I'll let Katie offer her opinion on the resettling of naps - that is something I am struggling with at my end as well. I think *I* am Thomas's bed....... And common sense says at some point that will habit form doesn't it??

What does he do to resettle on you? T thrashes about but I hear him gulping and swallowing and being very 'fluxy so I guess that is why he doesn't stay down in bed  ??? ???.

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2015, 20:10:33 pm »
Yes he's pretty snotty. We've got olbas going which helps a bit.

He sucks my finger and lies on my chest to resettle on me. He just loves sucking and uses that to get back to sleep. That's why I'm trying to get him to suck his own thumb.  He's always refused a dummy.

Another unsettled evening. BT at 6.30, it's now 8pm and he's woken 3 times

*Kate*

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2015, 20:29:31 pm »
Bless him  :-* :-*. Does he suck your finger to settle for a nap in the first place?

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2015, 20:51:25 pm »
When he's not poorly, I give him his bottle, cuddles and sing twinkle twinkle until very settled then into his cot on his left side and help him pop his thumb in his mouth. The last couple of days he's refused his thumb and would only suck on my finger. At BT tonight he was ok with his thumb

*Kate*

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2015, 21:02:52 pm »
There is a bit of a prop weaning element to this as well isn't there? Have you posted in props and asked if anyone else has managed to get a LO to accept their thumb at this age? I just wonder if he actually won't and will take something else instead e.g. lovey. They often don't do what we think they will do.

I don't know how you feel about this, but it *may* be worth retrying the dummy now he is having a bottle. I think it does help them accept the plastic teat aspect.

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2015, 21:15:49 pm »
Good idea Liz. I'll post in props. I have tried a dummy again recently just so if he's with someone else they can use that to help get him to sleep if he won't take his thumb but he just chewed on it!

*Kate*

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2015, 22:43:49 pm »
He wakes loads between BT at 10pm. I can't get him to have a really good feed at BT. Once he's had a bottle at 10ish he's much more settled. Do I keep going with 4 hrs between feeds or do I try another bottle for his first wake up to fill him up? He pushes the bottle away at BT and won't have anymore - he's only taking around 3oz. Tea is usually 4.30pm ish so by 6.30pm he should be hungry?

*Kate*

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2015, 01:55:39 am »
Can you post your feeding routine again??

You could always try. Sometimes different approaches suit different babies regardless of what they 'should' be doing.

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2015, 04:48:19 am »
There is a bit of a prop weaning element to this as well isn't there? Have you posted in props and asked if anyone else has managed to get a LO to accept their thumb at this age? I just wonder if he actually won't and will take something else instead e.g. lovey. They often don't do what we think they will do.
I agree with this. I wouldn't try to change anything right now as he's full of cold, but I think if he really likes to suck that much, then he will find a way to do it... either his thumb or a lovey. I think if you want him to be an independent sleeper and resettle him in the crib, then you need to help him do that and not give him your finger. :-\

Is the bottle refusal at BT part of the congestion, do you think or was it like that before? My DS2 has a cold right now as well and is struggling to feed at certain times of the day. BT is one of them, I think because he's so tired and also can't breathe as well.

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2015, 21:47:14 pm »
Hi

He's better now :) still got a cough but much less snotty. He's still won't take a full feed at BT. Tonight it was only 3oz. He'll sleep for 2.5 hours (good for him!) and then wake and have 5oz. I'm trying to leave a good gap between tea and BT - about 1.5 hours but atm it hasn't changed anything.

He's still waking in the night, obviously, but less :) it was about 4 times last night which is really good for him. Last night he woke about 1.30am and only had a couple of oz's and the other couple of times he had a quick drink and went back to sleep - maybe this is from when he was bf all night and woke for a quick comfort drink??

I think things seem to be going in the right direction. Still working on the finger sucking thing. I posted in props but no one has replied yet.
For his naps he seems to be doing a longer am nap - nearly 2 hours! And then a shorter pm nap - about 40 mins. Trying to keep BT around 6.30pm

So WU 6.30 ish
Nap 10ish - 12
Nap 3.30-4.10
BT 6.30

How does that sound?

*Kate*