Author Topic: 20 month old suddenly stops being able to self soothe  (Read 4603 times)

Offline Molliesdaniels

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 20 month old suddenly stops being able to self soothe
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2015, 19:45:08 pm »
If anyone could help me before bedtime, I would be forever in your debt  :) :) :)

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2015, 14:51:42 pm »
Sorry not to have got to you before now, how are things?

It sounds like you are handling the night wakings fine x

Offline Molliesdaniels

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2015, 09:33:39 am »
Things are still a little up and down. We went to walk in/walk out about 5 nights ago and it worked great. She actually even slept through a couple of times. She even told me bye a couple of times before i walked out. That was nice!  She's still having at least 1 nw though. Most of the time I can walk in, lay her down and walk out and that's it. Tonight has been harder. I had to sit by the door a little bit for her just a bit ago (it's 3:30 am) and I'm out of the door now and listening to her try to settle. Her top molars are breaking through and she has no other illness. Oh and she's also gone to waking up at 5:15 am or so, so she's now sleeping from about 7:30-5:15 with at least 1 nw. Thanks in advance for any advice 😊

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2015, 13:08:28 pm »
Are you medicating for teeth?

What's her naptime now?

Offline Molliesdaniels

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2015, 13:18:55 pm »
Yes. We alternate between tylenol and ibuprofen for teeth at night (she's fine during the day, just chewing on everything). She's napping from about 11:30-1 when she's up at 5 and about 12-1:30 when she's up closer to 6. She goes down pretty easy for her naps (knock on wood!!!!)

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2015, 13:10:17 pm »
I would set her nap time actually, if you let her nap early on EW days it may well reinforce the early starts. I'd be tempted to set it at 12, no more than 15 mins early for an EW, and possibly start to shift it out later to 12.30pm.  I would also bring her BT temporarily earlier while she is EWing - to more like 6.30pm for now and then move it back out when WU improves.  Sounds like a bit of an OT loop right now - what do you think?

Also just wanted to say - annoying though it is, one WU a night isn't actually bad. It's pretty common for my 3yo to wake at night. Sometimes for the toilet, sometimes a bad dream, sometimes lost her lovey. In a way if its a quick walk in, tuck in and walk out again then honestly that's not so awful. If molars are coming too she may just need that extra bit of help x

Offline Molliesdaniels

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2015, 15:47:27 pm »
Thank you again for your help!  The 5:30 wake ups continue and she's falling asleep at the table at lunch at 11  :(  I have been trying to read to her after her lunch to get her to stay up as long as I can.  I can stretch her out until about 11:45.  We've been getting her into bed between 6:30 and 7 and she's falling asleep well and pretty much staying asleep all night.  I'm hoping the early wakings work out soon, but it's 9:45 right now and she's laying on the floor ready to fall asleep lol.  Thanks again for the help!

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2015, 13:12:45 pm »
If she's that tired will she do a quick CN (wake her after 10-15 mins) and then put down for long nap as normal?  Just thinking you may need to break the cycle somewhere.  Or would you be willing to try a very early BT as a one-off?  5.30/6pm??

Offline Molliesdaniels

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2015, 17:04:43 pm »
Well, it just so happened that she fell asleep at 9:30 in the car this morning. I let her sleep 25 minutes. I guess we will see how today goes. I will try an even earlier bedtime tonight!  Thank you again

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2015, 13:06:36 pm »
Good luck x

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2015, 14:28:56 pm »
It may be that she needs to catch up on some OT and find a new pattern.  Hope today works out well :)
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.