Author Topic: What are some reasons for ew?  (Read 8960 times)

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2015, 12:54:33 pm »
I definitely found with both of mine that there was a balance between night sleep and naps at this age.  With my DD1 she did wake up 8am and napped for 2.5 hours then bed about 9. Usually we got an 11 hour night. My DD2 would have done the same but at that stage DD1 was doing 7.30 bedtime and it seemed silly to have the toddler up nearly 2 hours later. So I had cut her nap way back at this age and it was gone by 2yo. She then did a 12/12.5 hour night.

I think  though  you can't have both. After a nap of 1 hour plus at this age both mine would have needed 5.5/6 hours A time so I think what you are describing is normal. I'd expect 8.30 bedtime after that nap he had.  You will likely find he will start protesting at too early a bedtime at some stage and you will have to either do later bedtime to be fair to the A time he needs after a nap or else work to shorten that nap. With my first the later bedtime suited us and I got a good break in the day. The no nap sucked with the second one but worth it for the same bedtimes. The days she napped I knew bedtime had to be later.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2015, 14:00:59 pm »
He's talking so much!! He fell asleep at 830 last night and was up a bit after 630 this morning! It's just not like him nor enough sleep! Ugh. Maybe I should try to get him into crib a bit earlier? We've started reading books in his room after bath just to have some quiet time together i wonder if it's not a good idea.

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
Re: What are some reasons for ew?
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2015, 14:14:20 pm »
How is he during the day? Generally happy or crabby?

He's talking so much!!
^^ This.  Major language leap around 2 years so you may find that it throws things off a bit.

It's just not like him nor enough sleep!
I think his sleep needs are just changing hun.  Many LOs drop the nap completely by 2yrs so I think it's just him self regulating.  The thing you have to keep in mind is total sleep in 24hrs.  If his night + his nap is giving him 12hrs of sleep then I'd say that's completely normal.

You will likely find he will start protesting at too early a bedtime at some stage and you will have to either do later bedtime to be fair to the A time he needs after a nap or else work to shorten that nap.
^^ This also.  The day may seem long but in order to get decent sleep the right amount of A time is always required.

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2015, 15:13:34 pm »
Major language leap around 2 years so you may find that it throws things off a bit.
If his night + his nap is giving him 12hrs of sleep then I'd say that's completely normal.
I completely agree with both of these! If you need a break in the day, I would keep things as they are. If he's happy in his bed, it's fine if he takes a long time to settle to sleep if the routine works for your family. I used to worry a lot about 10 hr nights but they are common with a language leap and combined with the nap he still had a decent amount of sleep.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2015, 15:53:17 pm »
I want to say that this ew and falling asleep later and later at night started when I changed the nap from 1230 to 1. I'm going to put him down at 1230 today and see how he does.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2015, 23:49:07 pm »
I tried the nap at 1230 but he cried and I had to wiwo he fell asleep at 1250 until 210 1 hr 20 mins which is a bit shorter from the 1-230 nap. But he was exhausted tonight yawning at dinner and the rest of the night so I took him up 15 mins earlier and put him into crib by 720. He was up chatting away (even though he was clearly tired) until 750. Clearly still taking him 30 mins to fall asleep no matter how tired he is. Maybe he will sleep later tomorrow morning.

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2015, 14:20:35 pm »
I tried the nap at 1230 but he cried and I had to wiwo he fell asleep at 1250 until 210 1 hr 20 mins which is a bit shorter from the 1-230 nap.
If this is the case I would probably just stick to the 1pm nap - he is too UT to go down at 12:30

Clearly still taking him 30 mins to fall asleep no matter how tired he is.
Again, I think this is really normal and is just a cause of his sleep needs changing and developmental things happening.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2015, 16:53:52 pm »
I think you are right! Today he was up at 640 which is earlt for him and went down easy for nap at 1245/1250 he was tired and clingy this morning.
What is typical A times and nap/bedtimes  for 21/22 month old? Most of the kids in his gym class still nap about 2 hours with a 13 hour day.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2015, 10:29:30 am »
So the past few days lo has been going down for nap with no issues around 1245 until about 2/205 and into crib at 730 still taking him about 30 mins to fall asleep aroubd 8/810. But he's waking early yesterday around 630 and he's exhausted later in the day yawning like crazy and hasnt been eating dinner he just sits in his highchair like a zombie and he's been cranky and fussy. I assume it's due to him only getting 10 hours night sleep when he used to do 12 and only an 1 hr 15 min nap! Ugh I'm at a loss as to what to do?!

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2015, 18:47:35 pm »
I think this might just be a blip you need to ride out. I would bet it's a language leap.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2015, 11:14:55 am »
Last night I decided to put lo to bed 30 mins earlier than usual at 7:10 and it still took him 30 mins to fall asleep but was asleep by 740 opposed to after 8 and he's still asleep this morning at 7:15!! Yipee. I think he was just ot and for some reason he doesn't catch up at naptime any more and going to bed after 8 and waking befire 6 with a 1 hr nap was catching up with him. I'm going to do nap around 1245 which is what I've been doing and he's usually up by 2. I hope he's not yawning all night tonight and cranky and might actually eat some dinner. Going to try the earlier bedtime again too!

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2015, 20:49:08 pm »
I hope it goes well!
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2015, 00:13:00 am »
Tonight not so good! He's still awake at 815!

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2015, 16:24:52 pm »
We get lots of nights like that. I know this isn't really sleep advice but what I found most helpful is turning off the monitor. I think your routine is ok and he's getting a decent amount of sleep so it's really a matter of just going with it without worry. Keeping the monitor off (or out of the room I'm in) really helped me to relax and stop worrying about how long DD takes to go to sleep. I do check it about 30 mins after she goes to bed and then again after an hour so I have a general idea of when she went to sleep but not having it right in front of me keeps me from obsessing and thinking about what I should have done differently or how I can "make" her go to sleep. A wise BWer on here told me that, as parents, all we can do is offer the opportunity to sleep and it's up to the LO to take it or not.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2015, 10:37:10 am »
Isn't there any way to get him to sleep past 620 am?! It doesn't matter when I put him to bed at night but he's waking earlier every day. What can I do to get him to sleep a bit later in morning? He's only doing about a 1 hour nap from 1-2 and into crib by 730 asleep by 8.