Author Topic: 2.5yo - to nap or not to nap, that is the question?!  (Read 7845 times)

Offline labrodyk

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: 2.5yo - to nap or not to nap, that is the question?!
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2015, 04:33:34 am »
Thanks creations!! No, please tell me about the apple core! Lol. I need a laugh.

He got a bit more sleep last night so a bit happier today which is nice. Just worried he might be getting a second wind at nap time (2pm). He definitely had a longer A from WU to nap yesterday (fell asleep quickly) and today has taken 45mins (!!) to fall asleeep but he was showing tired signs after playgroup and we got home at 12.30... Just can't quite figure it out!

Will keep on chugging on like you say.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 04:48:52 am by labrodyk »

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2015, 07:27:25 am »
Yes it was certainly a developmental leap here, DS always had what I call anxiety dreams (they don't appear to be night terrors or night mares), mostly I didn't know what they were about, but the occasional time when he verbalised his dream or sleep talked it was quite a surprise what could cause such anxiety.
The apple core incident - well, he'd been eating an apple, it was finished, he told me it was finished but we were walking along the street and my hands were full so I asked him to carry it until we reached a bin. When we reached the bin I invited him to put it in, he was really pleased with this, putting something in the bin himself. So he dropped it in, smiling, happy yk?  But that night in his sleep he must have been processing this incident in a totally different way. He was shouting out and screaming for his apple core as though it had been his prized possession which I'd forced him to give up. He was really upset by it shouting "My apple core, oh my apple core! It's gone!" and sobbing like he lost his lovey.
I noticed in the following days he would be upset if I put food in the bin (at the end of a meal when he was full and had left food on his plate) he had some sort of possession/loss anxiety going on.
We've had all sorts though - shouting for his spanner in the middle of the night was amusing, a lot of "No! I don't want to" in his sleep, a lot of numbers and letters were heard when he was younger. I have a laugh at some of them. My favourites are when he bursts out laughing though :)

I honestly think if there is a developmental thing going on they will not sleep so well, but it can't be 'fixed' with routine and you could tie yourself up in knots trying to work it out.

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2015, 21:38:40 pm »
Oh Creations, that is just hilarious and ridiculous - these kids!!

We're back in a bit of a pickle because our mornings now involve calling out to find lost comforters at 5.30 in the morning and not going back to sleep so nights are dropping down to 9.5hrs at most. He does lay until 7 but he's cranky.

Yesterday was a nnd as he was trying to falling asleep in the car at 1pm (after 5.30 wake) but then when I finally got him down after some lunch at 2pm he just lay in bed awake and got up at 3pm when his gro clock turned on. My mum put him down later than I asked at 6.30 not 6.00 and he we had NW at 1am (he brought me a pair of socks, crying) then was awake when I checked at 6 - calling out for his comforters from 6.45. He doesn't cry - it's almost a game of "mummy. Mimi" and he trials different voices. It's very frustrating and annoying because shortly after he gets up he doesn't want anyone but me and threw a MAJOR tantrum because hubby was letting me get some extra sleep. *sigh*

It's just all so confusing. On a nap day he's in bed at 2 but usually not asleep until 2.30 even after waking at 5.30/6am. I then need to wake him at 4 or he's just waking himself. Bedtime is 7 and it's an hour again of laying quietly. We tried 8pm the other night but it was 8.45 when he fell asleep and again woke between 5.30/6. Don't know if things would be different if that was a consistent bedtime but I'm too scared to try! Lol.

Part of me says keep the nap and deal with the nights but the other part of me is so over him being "tired" and or cranky through the day!

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2015, 06:30:14 am »
Those nights sound too short to me to be restful...I'd probably go back to capping/dropping and see if you can get better nights x

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2015, 07:18:11 am »
I agree the nights are short but when he took a 50 min nap the nights were just as short so overall sleep in 24hrs was even less.
How long does he sleep if the nap is moved earlier, to say 12.30 or 1pm? A couple of times you said he's tired then but then doesn't sleep or takes a long time when you put him down for a nap at 2pm.

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2015, 08:21:39 am »
Yes, nights were the same length on a capped nap so you're right overall sleep is greater now.

We haven't done 12.30/1 nap for a long time - in the car he'll fall asleep. He's taken himself to bed when cranky around that time to sleep but he's just lay quietly for 1/2 hour and then gets up saying "I don't need a nap". I can certainly try it.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 21:29:02 pm by labrodyk »

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2015, 19:18:03 pm »
aaaaand 5am (11hrs it is). I knew there was a reason I don't put him down at 6pm. This is going tobe a LOOOOOONG day and he'll likely take a nap at 12.30/1.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2015, 21:02:19 pm »
Wondering what would happen if you were to car-nap him each day but make it a micro nap. This could be something you haven’t tried?
When mine dropped his nap there were times he couldn't resist the lull of the car and dozed off but I learned very quickly I was not to leave him sleeping or to try to extend the sleep by driving around. Literally 3 or 4 mins nap on the way to the park and then wake him once there. He would be dopey for a few mins but perked up once awake - this was totally different to capping a nap for my DS because on a capped nap he would be upset for the rest of the entire day which I just couldn’t live with, his mood was awful until an hour before BT.
It's just a thought, one of those out of the box ideas. long naps are getting him more sleep in 24hrs but not really giving a settled routine, capped naps end up being less sleep...but a micro nap might help him get through the day and then extend his night.
Don't know - it's a bit of a long shot.

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2015, 21:27:25 pm »
This would be a brilliant option to try...IF I could drive :( another month and hopefully I'll have my licence but still would be without a car each day as hubby takes it.

Sigh, there's always a hitch with us!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2015, 22:13:59 pm »
Oops, sorry!
Well, in that case I'd prob continue with the longer nap as it seems to get more sleep across 24hrs but perhaps Katherine has a point that it's worth trying capping again. I mean they *do* change (prime example mine doing 2hr nap then suddenly none).

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2015, 22:48:53 pm »
Lol, that's ok!!

If I did cap it, should I put him down earlier? Perhaps back to 1.30 or too early?

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2015, 18:54:39 pm »
Will he even go down earlier?

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2015, 20:49:32 pm »
Hi creations, yesterday was this:

WU: 5.00, didn't fall back to sleep
OOB: 7.00
Nap: 1.30, fell asleep at 1.55 - went to him and he was awake at 3.30
* had an absolute meltdown with banshee screaming and not letting daddy do any of the bedtime routine and wouldn't calm for me either.
BT: 7.05 , asleep about 7.35.

WU: I checked the monitor this morning just after 6 and he was awake.

Will try with this seemingly shorter morning A today and do 1.30.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2015, 18:25:02 pm »
Sorry, I don't know. If it was mine I'd be concerned that the earlier nap would perpetuate the EW, that's how mine was. It makes sense for it to be earlier if it's going to be shorter though.

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2015, 22:28:30 pm »
Oh creations why is this so hard?! lol. I thought it would perpetuate early rising too but nothing seems to make any difference - nap, no nap, capped nap, later bedtime, earlier bedtime, later nap, earlier nap. It's SO annoying!!

I'm going on the assumption that he's awake/dozing from 6 because I dont have much of an idea. We bought a video monitor because it's been annoying me so much.

Yesterday was;

WU: 6ish
Nap: 1.40, asleep 2.00 - 3.00 (he was quiet and his gro clock sun was on but awake). He hopped out when he heard DH come home around 3.15
BT: 7.10, asleep 7.50

Monday 6-June
Around 5am he is quite restless and hopped out of bed quietly to recover his toys and I THINK he went back to sleep but again was awake/dozing just after 6am.
Nap: 1.40, asleep 1.55 - 3.20 but dozed until I got him up at 3.30
BT: 7.00, asleep 7.35 (!) but then woke at 7.50 calling out for comforters! He got out of bed and found them himself and went back to sleep by 8pm I think!
What's that about!? Lol
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 09:57:33 am by labrodyk »