Author Topic: Help with gw please  (Read 3525 times)

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Help with gw please
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 02:52:39 am »
So we are ear infection free and am going to start the gw again.  I think we have a bit of separation anxiety going on as she self weaned last Tuesday (6nights ago)  :-[ not sure how I'm feeling but everyone said you can feel really all over the place so am rolling with it.

The last 3 nights have been a bit yuck at bedtime and I think I am intervening too much verbally.  After about 20 minutes of being nice and calm with the usual wind down wriggles going on she becomes a bit crazy and I've been telling her off "lie down its sleeping time" this is then followed with a battle of wills as "i don't want to" is our favourite phase or just an outright "no".  I've been leaving the room for a timed 5 minutes and then coming back in and we start all over again.  Its taking about 50 minutes  for her to fall asleep.  We are having some really hot nights, all our efforts to cool her room down and its 28-29 degrees at bedtime so am guessing its just too hot to sleep.  We are also capping her day nap at 1h45mins from this week as she was pulling 2hour plus last week.  The childminder has said she only had 50 mins today so we are going for an early bedtime tonight anyway.

My aim tonight is to have my hand gently resting on her lower back and with no talking.

Any other suggestions?  What next and when?

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
o
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 06:22:29 am »
OK so 50 minutes but she seemed so wound up despite a short night 9.5 hours and only 50 minutes nap at the child minders compared to 2 hours at home.  We have just had a big family weekend away with rubbish sleep.

Our routine, dinner, cool bath, 3 bedtime stories in a dim room. Night dad, quiet cuddles with mum when we talk about Mr Sun and that I'm going to stay in the chair till she is asleep.  Goodnight to Mr Sun,  sing her lullaby, into cot, kisses to her cuddly, kisses and I love you and I sit down with my hand resting on the side of the cot.  The next 40 minutes is like watching a zoo performance, she is all over the cot, hands and knees, jumping, throwing cuddly. Whenever she stood up I'd remove my hand and she immediately  turns on the tears "cuddle mummy" this is her asking to be touched. So my no talking goes right out the window as I say "if you want cuddles you need to lie dow" and she launches herself into a prone position saying "ready". At about the 40 min mark she got quite upset again and standing up so I lay her down and then I get "no no no" she is pretty tired by this point so i start to shush intermintently still with my hand on her back. More flipping side to side back to front and finally asleep almost 60 minutes after going in the cot.

Where am I going wrong. This is about a week now of really playing up in the cot at bedtime. Prior to this was just normal stretching an wriggling for 20-30 minutes.   Am I missing something? Is she playing me?

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2016, 07:02:40 am »
Hi there sorry didn't get to reply sooner, how was your night? It sounds a bit like OT behaviour if she can't settle down. What times WU and BT?
I think you need to perhaps just say minimal like "sleepy time now" no mention of cuddles etc. It sounds very hot so that's probably not helping either.x
Zoe

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2016, 07:43:56 am »
Hi Haribo,  wake-up today was 5:45 and I did ebt  of 6 due to rubbish sleep last night and short nap. She was asleep at 7.  I'll  try tomorrow night to just say "sleepy time now" and see how we go.

Thanks for the hand holding!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2016, 07:54:55 am »
Not a too bad night then really is she napped as well! It's so hard when they just won't give in and you know they are tired.
No probs I'll hand hold as long as u need it  :) xx
Zoe

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2016, 17:52:28 pm »
Night was pretty good, she woke at 2am when the temp dropped. I covered her with a sheet and walked out!! She woke again 20 mins later and I knew she needed another layer. She asked for a drink and I tucked her in again. Just walking out the door and she said cuddle mummy. I said  shush  shush sleep time baby and left 😀

So pleased!! She woke at 5:55. Fingers crossed for tonight!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2016, 18:40:48 pm »
Awhh bless her  :) good night then x
Zoe

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2016, 06:56:00 am »
Tonight was still an hour but seemed calmer??? Heaps less from me. I did as you suggested and she totally understood.

She is still doing somersaults in the cot, wriggling and doing 360° turns. Gets a bit upset at about 40 mins it's like she doesn't know how to get comfy at this point and is too tired to figure it out. I gave her a couple of extra shushs here but she really is struggling.

Do I just keep doing what I'm doing? Will she figure it out?

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2016, 07:19:37 am »
I'd stick with it for a couple of days then if she is still calm move a little further away. She is probably getting OT by the time she settles down but if she's starting to learn to find her own way to get comfy etc then your on the right track. If she's sleeping through too that's a good sign she can do it herself  :)
Well done you, keeping consistent is the key and calmness from you means she won't get stressed either xx
Zoe

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2016, 00:29:29 am »
Thanks so much for the support!   She woke at 5:55 so another good night.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2016, 06:05:19 am »
Yahey great night  :) hope naps and BT go well today xx
Zoe

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2016, 07:21:35 am »
Great day today, she is usually a bit more clingy after 2 days daycare but she was really good. Down for nap at 12 and settled within a couple of minutes. Woke 2:10. Into bed at 7:05 tonight and asleep by 7:30.

She was really good. Loads less wriggling around. Her singing got a bit loud a couple of times so I just said the same thing.  No standing at all tonight and she fell asleep resting her back against my hand which was just resting inside the cot.  It was also only 24°C  in her room tonight compared with 28-29 for the past week.

Feeling really positive. Am gonna hold here for 3 more nights  :D

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2016, 07:52:54 am »
Fantastic I love a good update. Well done you sticking with it, and she sounds like she's happier too.
Agree stick to same place for few days then move a little, you can go as slow as you like especially if it's only taking her 20 mins or so to drop off. If she knows she's not getting any attention for the standing up, wiggling around etc she will soon get bored.
We still get call backs now for silly reasons and delaying tactics and DS is 3.8 yrs....so it's always ongoing lol. Last nights excuse was his feet were hot so he needed a drink  ;D
Zoe

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2016, 07:13:25 am »
Hey there, we have had a couple of good nights.  Both nights it has taken her 25 mins to settle and we have had less and less gymnastics.  No more standing up and I have moved my hand to be resting against the bars of the cot and she either leans against it or touches it.  No more finger holding and she spent a lot of the time tonight lying quietly in the cot not even touching me.

We had a blip night before last because of the stupid dog next door but resettled with no help from me.  This morning she woke at 4:50 and I covered her up she resettled for 20 mins and then again for another 20 mins but that was it.  Hubby stayed with her and when she started to wind up reminded her she had to wait for Mr Sun.

Otherwise I think we are doing well. 

I think I am going to wait until I feel she isn't relying on needing to touch me and then try just sitting beside the cot.  Will keep you posted!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2016, 08:14:19 am »
Lovely update  :)

Glad things are improving for you x
Zoe