Author Topic: Changing table nightmare!  (Read 3561 times)

Offline Bea's Mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Changing table nightmare!
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2006, 10:57:57 am »
We're going through the same thing with Beatrice.  I find that I can just about wipe her but keeping her still to put her nappy on is impossible.

So, I open the nappy up on my lap, then sit her on it.  I hold her against me with one arm going over her shoulder and against her chest so she can't struggle so mucy (though boy oh boy does she try).  Using the arm that's over the front I hold the front of the nappy against her tummy then use the free hand to open the tab and stick it down.  Then change arms/hands.

I hope that makes some sense.  It's a bit cumbersome but it does work!
Anne (Mum of Beatrice, 01/03/2005)

Offline maggieruth

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 251
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2006, 12:05:24 pm »
Sheri,
i am with you on the toilet training front!  my ds sits over the toilet with support and knows that that is where we poo (not that he waits to be on the toilet to poo, we largely rely on catching him at the right time, 1st thing in morning, after meals)
it doesn't save changing but does mean a lot less poo to wipe when we catch one happening!

s_olano00

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2006, 23:08:26 pm »
Just to update you, AK' new tirck at the changing table is to unrip her nappies.... so now DH and I are like circus clowns when changing time comes: she unrips one side of the nappy, we stick it back, in the meantime she unrips the other side, we stick it back as so on, and so on, and so on  :roll:

mommytsa

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2006, 23:15:52 pm »
Just a suggestion for those who haven't tried it yet:  I give Aaron a board book to read while I'm changing him, and it helps a lot.  There's still some wrestling and squirming, and he tries to pull his diapers off (thank goodness for cloth diapers--no velcro!) but giving him a book has made it much easier to get a new diaper on.  He loves looking at the pictures, and I usually give him one with animals in it and then I make animals noises as I'm changing him.  I'm sure I look and sound ridiculous, but it keeps him entertained.

Offline Little Bear's Mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
  • Daniel's birthday is 11 April 2005
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2006, 08:22:35 am »
What great suggestions. After getting concerned about using the change table that DS might fall off we started changing him on the floor. Well, that's when the fun began and he started crawling away. I've actually gone back to using the table and usijng the straps to help keep him safe. He seems to behave better on the table and knows he's there to be changed, surprisingly he lies still for the first few moments! I think I'll try the book idea tomorrow.
Hayley
Ohakea, New Zealand

Offline SophieB

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 39
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2006, 02:03:34 am »
Thanks heavens for this post.  I thought I was going mad. 

Nappy changing is a NIGHTMARE and has been for a couple of months.  Nothing seems to have worked for more than a day or so, so I'm going to have a red hot go at the leg on her chest thing.

Good luck to you all, and wish me luck too!
Eleanor - 13/12/04

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Showing Appreciation 275
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2006, 03:04:23 am »
Well don't know if it will help anyone but I've moved to pull-ups for the sake of expediency!  :lol: I'm finding she's much better if she can stand up while I do it.  :D

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

Offline Rochelle

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
I also thought it was just me!
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2006, 12:51:17 pm »
I also thought it was just Timna that was over-active at changing time.

It just happened all of a sudden at about 10.5 months old. She felt that lying down while having her nappy changed was a big waste of time and since that time I have been playing games with her to try and get her to lie down so that at least I can wipe off her bottom.

I identify so much with what people have written in this forum. I try and play games, sing songs she loves, give her toys to play with, books to look through...anything. But, sometimes I have no choice but to keep her down until I wipe her off and put the nappy/diaper on. She cries and I feel bad but I know that it only lasts 1/2 a minute - 1 minute and she will be all smiles once its done.

C'est la vie,
Rochelle
Mother to Timna, born January 2005

Offline Mum to cool dude

• Seven Of Nine
  • Showing Appreciation 52
changing table nightmare
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2006, 14:08:48 pm »
DH uses distraction too (Bohemian Rhapsody without the head banging  :lol: ). Personally, I take advantage of the changing table being by a window. I stand DS up and he looks out of the window or plays with the small items left on the window sill. You can't exactly see what you're doing, but if the wipe comes back clean, that's good enough for me !

Offline sa

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2006, 20:00:40 pm »
we gave up changing DS lying down altogether ....

we use pull-up nappy. we now change him in the bathroom !! yes, bathroom ..... i let him stand next to the bath tub, which he loves, then change him standing up. in case his bottom is very dirty, i just pop him in the bath and wash his bottom !!  :wink:
mum to samuel 25JAN05
textbook/angel baby