Author Topic: 2 year old with multiple food allergies refusing to eat  (Read 11268 times)

Offline taygensmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 25
Re: 2 year old with multiple food allergies refusing to eat
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2007, 01:23:02 am »
Just reading through and thinking about you both. Hope James is feeling better...

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2007, 05:23:58 am »
Thank you for all your replies.

Jenny I am sorry that India is not having a good time at the moment.

Marisa's Mama - Yes I have read up on eosophageal disorder but despite yalking about this to James's consultant he still does not want to do further testing at this stage.

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2007, 11:06:40 am »
I'm glad to hear that he's at least drinking Neocate and eating raisins. IMO though, if he ends up in the hospital again (and I pray that he doesn't), I wouldn't leave without them doing the testing. At this age, why not rule things out for certain?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2007, 16:07:00 pm »
James was weighed yesterday and is now 12.68kg. I had them weigh him twice as I could not believe he had gone from 11.4kg to 12.68kg in one week. I even waited for the next mum to have her baby weighed to make sure the scales were not playing up. I know the scales at the hospital were right as they weighed him on 2 sets to make sure as he had lost so much weight in less than a week.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2007, 20:18:49 pm »
James was weighed on Wednesday and had gone from 12.68kg to 12.56kg. I am not too worried about this as he had such a good gain the week before. As long as he does not keep loosing weight each week again then he will be doing well.

Offline jennyh

• take each day as it comes.
  • Showing Appreciation 278
  • my angels.
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2007, 15:15:47 pm »
how is james doing at the moment?hope he is well...jenny
children are precious,cherish the moments....
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2007, 08:53:55 am »
James lost a little last week. He is now down to 12.5kg. The dietician first of all did not return my calls, then when she did we were out. I have to admit she was very apologetic for not ringing sooner but that did not get my question answered and she is now on holidat untill next week. James has not been weighed this week as with one thing and another we could not make it. That is not really a problem as it is me that chooses to get him weighed each week. I wanted to speak to the dietician as I wanted a way of getting more calories into James through the formula as he is not showing any signs of wanting to eat anything new yet, which I did not expect. I have read on a different site how one mum made the neocate with rice milk instead of water and this helped her 2 year old put on 3lb in 3 months. That sounds great so we are going to give it a try. I know this is not an answer long term but at least it might boost his weight short term.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2007, 10:14:09 am »
I spoke to the dietician yesterday and she is now getting our GP to prescribe duocal for James. We should get the prescription next Tuesday. I am hoping this will boost his weight as we had to stop using rice milk due to it flaring James's eczema up. He has had rice milk before but only in small quantities. Luckily his eczema seems to be calming down quickly since we stopped the rice milk.

Offline jennyh

• take each day as it comes.
  • Showing Appreciation 278
  • my angels.
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2007, 16:46:41 pm »
hope that helps :).is he eating any better?....jenny
children are precious,cherish the moments....
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2007, 17:11:08 pm »
James's eating is still the same :(. Hopefully this will at least bulk him up a little as long as he is ok with it. I have read it can be constipating. Will have to see how it goes.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2007, 17:13:16 pm »
I hope the Duocal helps but I still do think it's a mistake for the doctors/dietician to be focusing only on weight gain. I still strongly feel he should be seeing an OT/SLP, etc for feeding therapy and also have an endoscopy done to see if there is EE present or any other issues. I don't say this to criticize you at all - you are a wonderful mother who is obviously trying so hard for your son. I say this because I'm frustrated with the medical advice you've been receiving and just want the best for you and your son. And like you said, the Duocal can be constipating... Big hugs.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2007, 13:46:32 pm »
Last week James had gone back to 12.5kg before starting the duocal. He has now been on the duocal for a week on a small dose. I had James weighed yesterday and he had gone down to 12.22kg. This was a bit of a shock as I had expected him to gain weight. I suppose it could be too soon to be seeing results. I have also noticed that James has only had 2 bowel movements since being on duocal. We have now got an additional challenge as James has started with hayfever and also a cold on top of that we think so he is now only taking a small amount of neocate. This started yesterday so don't think that would have anything to do with the weight loss. I was wondering if it is possible that James is not tolerating the duocal? He is also very itchy as eczema has flared a little but not sure if thats the cold or a reaction to the duocal. Any advice would be very welcome as our dietician just told me that it is very unlikely that the duocal would cause a problem and just to carry on with it.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2007, 17:08:57 pm »
I'm not sure myself but I know you also post over at infantreflux.org and some of the moms on there have experience with Duocal...

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2007, 07:52:37 am »
James has not drank much neocate advance onver the last few days. He only drank 8oz yesterday in total. THe only other think he had was raisins and water. I did not give apple juice incase he filled himself up on that. I have not been giving duocal the last day and a half incase thta was the problem but that has made no difference. Last night James was crying in pain on and off for a good few hours. I think he was probably hungry but was refusing the neocate. He finally drank 5oz this morning but that still is not much really. I am hoping to speak to the consultant and dietician today.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2007, 11:27:29 am »
Good luck and keep us posted. Please continue to push them for an endoscopy with biopsies. Hugs to you both.