Author Topic: 1 yr old crying before naps, chronic short napper and early waking. Please Help  (Read 20065 times)

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Hi well for the last 2 days Ethans gone the other way and just doesn't seem to get sleepy at all! Yesterday I did a 4hr A time and he went quickly to sleep but only slept 25mins so then I aimed for a 3hr 30 A time and he just kept standing up and crying I did WIWO for 30mins and he just wouldn,t stay laying down so in the end I stayed with my hand on his back until he went to sleep, but still only got 30min nap. I just can't figure him out was that OT or UT up until then he was just walking around quite happy?????

Offline babybarr

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 224
Ok I think you need to try one nap - if he really short naps you then you'll have to do another catnap at some point.

So *try* a 4.5hr A time and see what happens.  We may just need to push him even further.
LAURA xx

Offline babybarr

How was yesterday? Been thinking of you.
LAURA xx

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Thanks we are muddling on. We are pushing that first A time, we still haven't had any long naps from it, but he has been settling well, which was the main thing for me. The other good thing from having a longer first A time is that it spaces out the day better so he's been happier. I will let you know if we have any breakthroughs

Offline babybarr

What A time are you trying in the am at the mo? 
LAURA xx

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
We have only managed a 4hr so far as he is tired then but I will keep pushing him.

Offline babybarr

I would def try a 4.5hr and see - just keep that last half hour very low key.  I know it's hard and i remember it well with my DS having to go from 2 naps to 1 and having to significantly increase the A time just to get through the day.
LAURA xx

Offline babybarr

How have things been the last couple of days?
LAURA xx

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
still the same we are doing a 4hr 15 first A time, but still getting the 20-30 min naps. I really think his teeth aren't helping. hopefully when they are through we will get a break before his second molars appear. thanks laura

Offline Brock~Tahlia~Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 19
Hugs Laura xxxx hopefully soon you'll get a break. B had a terrible 48hour bug- then I caught it...
He cried pretty much all night, it was horrible!!! I did some serious APOP for 2 days and now he's really on the mend so I'm having to do WIWO. 
He seems to be accepting of it. So you're not alone Hun.
Just wondering... What do u you do when he wakes from a short nap? Do u try extending? Do u pick him up straight away? Or walk straight out the room with him etc?
Just a thought that possibly your waking cues maybe adding to the confusion? Ie if he cries, you don't re-settle, pick him up and walk out the room with him- he may just expect that every time he wakes. It's just so bazzar that he'll STTN yet not extend naps YK? Just another thought ticking around in my head that I thought I would mention...
*Alice*

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
I am a bit unconsistant after naps, if I had to do WIWO before the nap I think its a bit much to do it after, so normally we have a quiet cuddle

Offline babybarr

Laura I am wondering about you really pushing that A time out to see what happens.  Like maybe 5hrs and just see.  Something has to give and another mum's thread I'm posting on has just done this and got a mammoth nap instead of a poxy short one.  Just wondered if it was worth a shot?
LAURA xx

I was just wondering becuse once you walk in he may fight extending becuse he expects you will pick him up and cuddle him? Especially if his room isn't pitch black (like night).
I know with my DS he's very clued on to cues for sleeptime and waking up time and eating etc. I think it maybe a matter of being consistant and trying to extend day naps and EW. Once he can self settle during the day you maybe able to slot in rough day time naps and rid of the OT cycle. I've been reading BWSAYP toddler section and thought of you while reading.
If not...maybe borrow or grab a hold of BWSAYP and read the back section... It's worth a shot if you are still not seeing results. I have read some great info re Toddlers xxxx hugs xxx
*Alice*

Offline laura034

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Thanks both for your advice. I think pushing that first A time is worth a go and I will try it as soon as Ethan is well (he has a chest infection and has been sick). Thanks Laura

Good luck hun, just think 1 day when he's a teenager you'll
be dragging him out of bed for school!!!

Hugs xxx
*Alice*