Author Topic: MPI and Poo - wayyy tmi.  (Read 12867 times)

Offline LizzieN

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 143
« on: August 15, 2010, 04:44:39 am »
Hi there ladies,
ok so I have a specific question about what your LOs poos look like when they have MPI or MSPI.  I have read the scoop on poop, but I'm still curious (sorry gross thing to be curious about).

The reason I ask is because I am on an ED (week 1) for dairy and have radically reduced how much soy I am taking in as my bub (3 1/2 month old) is crazy windy, is medicated for reflux and usually goes 7 days between poos...because she is infrequent it makes it difficult to know what her poo should look like...

Sorry this is gross, but she loses the harder "plug" and then her poo is yellow (darker than mustard) and liquidy, sometimes it has dark streaks through it and although it's liquidy it's not watery iykwim?

Today she did a poo 2 days after her bit poo, and it was the same colour, same liquidy consistency but not what I remember baby poo should look like, yellow with the little 'seeds'  I would have thought that doing a poo 2 days after her other one her poo would be "normal" if it was ever going to be, so it makes me wonder if she really does have intolerances.

Since being on the elimination I have yet to see any improvement in the amount of wind she is suffering from, although it's a little less smelly I think (honestly she would give an adult a run for their money)...

Any thoughts would be appreciated (she will be so embarrassed later in life if she knew I was asking about this) ;D

Thanks again lovelies
xx

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: MPI and Poo - wayyy tmi.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 05:31:09 am »
Is there any bubbles or mucous Lizzie?

Mucous looks either like slime on the surface of the nappy or 'strings' in the folds of the nappy when you pull it open again.

Megan has very loose, wet nappies even though she is infrequent. Oftenfoul smelly and often frothy or mucousy. The mucous is either mustard yellow or yesterday a lovely shade of green.

Megan is still windy without dairy - but nothing like she was after a huge bowl of ice cream  :o

Offline LizzieN

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 07:39:55 am »
Yeah I meant to say that even though it is liquidy it looks kind of "sticky"...sorry this is a really bad thing to be asking but I'm just not sure what normal is tbh, Dyllan wasn't normal as a nb because he didn't get enough milk due to all the vomiting and then he was having supplementary bottles of formula, which changes the appearance again. 

So sounds like the mucous that you are describing.  She wasn't frothy today or on Friday, her one a week ago was (which is why I finally bit the bullet and started the ED)...

Her poos don't smell nearly as much as her bottom bubbles, but it smells kind of sour...can't describe it better than that.

Don't expect it to stop her having wind, but what she has now is just ridiculous!!  I'm hoping that the ED will mean her poos are a bit more frequent so there isn't so much build up and pain waiting for it....hoping that doing one at 2 days wasn't a fluke.

Thanks for your help Liz, and sorry too xxxx

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 08:04:16 am »
I asked the same a little while ago- answers might help you too  :-*

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=172924.0

There is also a link to some pictures  :-X.

Offline LizzieN

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 10:21:28 am »
Oh thank goodness I am not the only one who worries about these things ;D  Thanks Liz you are so awesome!

Well that is interesting stuff, her poos do look quite stringy although not as bad as the pics shown and she doesn't have any 'seeds" and hasn't done for ages and ages....pretty much when the lactose overload started the seeds stopped.

Does encourage me to keep going with the diet.  I haven't been happy with the poos for a while so it will be very interesting to see if it helps.  Also reminded me to get off my butt and eat some calcium supplements, although annoyed that the Vit supplement I have does have traces of soy in it!  Might just stay off it for a couple of weeks and then start taking it again!

Thanks so much again Liz, you're a legend
xx
xx
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 11:04:31 am by LizzieN »

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 15:47:08 pm »
Hiya, I thought I would have look at this as I'm interested too! Firstly I'd like to say that discussing the contents of ones babes nappy seems perfectly normal to me! Most parents of a NB frequently get covered in it so talking about it is par for the course!

I am still not really convinced that J is MSPI but maybe more sensitive (I will get on the MSPI support thread soon) maybe cutting back is all I will need to do.
 He does have mucous in his poo occasionally but never that bad, it certainly isn't frothy although it does come out gas propelled there are no physical bubbles in it. I usually get J's nappy off as soon as he starts pooping (easier to clean as it emerges than scrape/ wipe it off afterwards) so I know the consistency quite well. Like your LO's Lizzie his is thicker at the start, then gets runny and sometimes the last bit is watery. There is also the dark (occasionally green) streaks in it. It is a little stringy too but still a mustard colour. 

Oh and no seeds either, strange! Are they really fat related? I eat plenty of fat, love crackling on pork, skin on chicken, all the heart attack causing stuff!

I sort of decided 'fine I'll give up dairy' about 10 days ago, but wasn't really dairy free for a few days (had some maltesers that needed consuming) I'd say the occasional bit still sneaks in there. I think the switch to soya milk was bad and he has improved almost overnight since I stopped it (coincidence?) However I am still eating bread with soya flour in (need to go shopping) but he's still loads better. I have to say his poop and gas is REALLY smelly and has been since I hit the soya milk (I can't remember what it was like before tbh)
 So I'm curious as well if giving up soya and milk will make a difference in his nappy department too? His reflux definitely seems better since I quit the soya milk, it certainly deteriorated over the week I was on it.

I read your thread Liz and looked at the yummy pictures, J's have never been that bad which still lead me to believe I have a sensitive LO as opposed to an intolerant one!

J's nappy last night was green, watery and covered in mucous globules (FAR tmi) and I was like :o :o :o what the hell have I eaten and then remembered he has a cold, so half that mucous might be what he is sniffing back, yuk :-X

Isn't it amazing how much (even in babies) poop tells us about ones body?

Lizzie I have just read through this and I really just seem to be rambling!

Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline LizzieN

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 04:23:25 am »
Not rambling at all actually sweetie!

Well C just did ANOTHER poo...this is amazing so that was one on Friday one on Sunday and one today....coincidence that she is frequent now that I have stopped the dairy????  I so so hope it continues, these 7 day poos are just dreadfully painful wind wise for her!  It was still the same consistency, but becoming more regular must be a good sign??

We were sitting in the doctors surgery today and she was farting away and DH just kept looking at me 'cause they were SO SO stinky!  Poor little girl, everyone would have thought it was me though!! 

I really hope this is the answer for her, as much as I love my dairy I love my kiddies more
xx

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 06:49:57 am »
Yay for poop! I envy you sometimes, J had 3 yesterday!
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline LizzieN

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 07:12:28 am »
if you saw how unhappy all the wind made her you wouldn't wish it on J :P
just did another little one which was greener and stringy, may be 'cause she has the cold too?

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 07:50:57 am »
It is odd that she had suddenly started going isn't it?!

Are you all hidden dairy and soy free yet?

Starting to feel bad as Megan gets very irregular as well  :-\ :-\ - but I still let the odd bit of hidden dairy creep through.

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 09:03:23 am »
I'm understanding what you're going through now. J hasn't stopped screaming all morning, got doctors in a bit. Can food intolerance really cause such upset? I'm too scared to eat now :'(
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 10:09:10 am »
Lizzie are her poos really stinky?    If so might be worth getting a stool sent off to look for "bugs"?

Offline LizzieN

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 11:28:30 am »
No Eloise her poos aren't all that stinky just her farts :x the poos smell a little sour but nothing too bad...in fact a lot of the time you open up her nappy thinking "that must be a poo" but it's not!

Liz I think I have cut out all hidden dairy, and have only just started on the soy, wasn't going to cut it out and then realised that was a bit silly, may as well do the lot and see if things improve and then reintroduce....we shall see how we go all being sick though!!  Need to make bread tonight or tomorrow, probably tonight easier when LOs are down....

my poor sick household.

Hugs lovelies
xx

Offline LizzieN

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 11:50:30 am »
So just a quick question C is now 15 weeks old (cry), her poos should still look sort of watery with the mustard seeds right?  My mum recons they should be more "solid" now??  I thought they would stay pretty similar until solids were introduced...(secretly I think my mum is stressing 'cause I'm on an ED again, bless her, I try and convince her it doesn't bother me and I'm not finding it hard, but she worries regardless!)

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 12:47:18 pm »
You are right Lizzie - should just be normal BF poop at this point - it only starts to change once you get the solids going.

Bread is one of my hidden dairy issues. One of the few I have left to sort. They have 'free from' at the supermarket but it is gluten free as well and pretty yucky. There is a local deli that sells dairy free for almost all its bread, but it only opens thurs - sun.