Author Topic: Gro-clock/lights on timer: success stories and support here! #2  (Read 194777 times)

Offline eshea

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Gro-clock/lights on timer: success stories and support here! #2
« Reply #165 on: February 25, 2014, 20:53:23 pm »
I can't find a Gro-Clock here in the US.  Anyone have a product they recommend for the States?  We are having naptime dilemma and I think my son needs a visual cue for when it's okay to end quiet time. 
Erica - learning something new every day!

Offline FroggyMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
« Reply #166 on: February 25, 2014, 21:19:58 pm »

Offline Me.and.my.two.boys

• Showing Appreciation 41
  • Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #167 on: February 25, 2014, 21:45:17 pm »
Thinking about getting a groclock for C. What age do you recommend using it from?
Kelly, mum of two amazing boys 2008 and 2012

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #168 on: February 26, 2014, 10:05:20 am »
From about 21-22 months K, certainly by 24 months.

Posting with a success story from my friend M. I lent her our Groclock because her 21 month old daughter E had been waking at 4.30am (AFTER lots of NWs) for six months. It was affecting the whole family. M and her husband were taking it in turns to sleep on E's floor and called it 'the room of doom'. E's older brother had to move out of the shared bedroom and go in with his parents. E was having huge tantrums, resulting in her head butting herself against the cot and really bruising up her little head. Nobody was having a good time.

I sent the Groclock at the beginning of Feb, M made really sure that E understood what the moon meant and what the sun meant, they role-played what you do if you wake up and see the moon (I no longer had the little book that comes with the clock so they had to manage without it). We agreed that E could sleep without mum or dad on the floor as she was going to sleep independently at bedtime and for her nap. The very first morning she seemed to get it. She moaned and fussed and cried a bit but without the fire and fury of her normal morning tantrums. She did lie down - popped up and down for half an hour or so before the sun came on. Same the second morning - lying down, and less crying. The third
night was a bit of a mess with NWs (she was teething and had a cold) BUT she did go back to sleep when she EWd, and had to be woken up at 7am. By the end of the first week she was sleeping until 7-7.30am every day and continues to do so! Mum and Dad are still enjoying the beauty of unbroken nights and a 7am start, big brother is back in his own bed - harmony is restored!

• Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #169 on: February 26, 2014, 12:46:24 pm »
That's great Anna :)

I was thinking about buying one soon, just having it in C's room so he is used to the night light as his room is pitch black at the moment.

I also wanted to ask what people do for naps? The sun will be up right?

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #170 on: February 26, 2014, 12:48:54 pm »
You can use it for naps too - it has two settings, so you can have a 'sun' time for morning and a 'sun' time for the end of a nap. After the sun comes up, it stays on for one hour and then just shows the time until you 'set' it for the next sleep.

• Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #171 on: February 26, 2014, 15:38:56 pm »
Ah that's great :) and am I right in saying that during the night, the moon(s) are on until the selected time? That's the part he's going to have to get used to as he has no lights at the moment

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #172 on: February 26, 2014, 15:43:53 pm »
I THINK (although I never tried it) you can have the moon OFF during the night - so there's nothing, and then the sun lights up when it's morning. That's an option for kids who are disturbed by the nightlight. Neither of mine were, so it showed the moon at night (on the dimmest setting)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #173 on: February 26, 2014, 16:04:40 pm »
Yes just out the brightness to zero if you don't want the blue light at night.

For nap we just leave it in the time screen with no light. We have it set on brightness 1 with the moon for night. But yes as Anna said you can have it set to come up after the nap the same as you would at night.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #174 on: February 26, 2014, 19:14:32 pm »
we have it 'off' at night for both kids and the sun just comes up when it is time to get up...I don;t use it for naps but I did use it briefly for H when we first did quiet time after dropping the nap - probably will do the same for M x

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline eshea

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #175 on: February 27, 2014, 03:16:47 am »
Thanks FroggyMom!  Now I have to decide if I can stomach spending $60 on a clock!  I'm going to try putting a timer on a table lamp, first.  I think if I get a low watt bulb it won't wake him in the morning, and the timer has two setting so I could do one for naptime, too. 
Erica - learning something new every day!

Offline hemiboy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #176 on: March 14, 2014, 14:56:32 pm »
I can't find a Gro-Clock here in the US.  Anyone have a product they recommend for the States?  We are having naptime dilemma and I think my son needs a visual cue for when it's okay to end quiet time. 

I just bought mine (ON SALE!) from  http://www.petiteposh.com/products/grobag-gro-clock-for-children
They ship anywhere in North America and have FREE shipping for order over $100.  Plus you pay in Canadain you get more for your $$ :)

Offline FroggyMom

• Showing Appreciation 12
« Reply #177 on: March 14, 2014, 15:22:52 pm »
Thanks FroggyMom!  Now I have to decide if I can stomach spending $60 on a clock!  I'm going to try putting a timer on a table lamp, first.  I think if I get a low watt bulb it won't wake him in the morning, and the timer has two setting so I could do one for naptime, too. 

Erica, I know!  DH thought I was insane for wanting to spend $60 on a clock.  But, it has turned out to be $60 well spent as it worked great!  :)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #178 on: March 15, 2014, 08:25:07 am »
I'm going to try putting a timer on a table lamp, first.
I've always used a light on a timer. No book to talk through the 'rules' like with the gro clock but like Anna's friend I just told him what to do in the dark and what to do when the light came on, role played too. I think he was 16 or 18 months when I started using the light and it did take some time but it worked.  I've actually just had an extra 30 min lie in for the weekend WU and DS got an extra sleep too :) I have a digital timer which can have different settings for each day of the week or naps and night or one setting for the week days and another for the weekend. So once it's set I don't have to fiddle with it at all.  There have been times he's slept through the light, not often, but that gives me the cue to look at his routine and see if I need to get him to bed earlier etc.

Offline Lovejoy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #179 on: April 25, 2014, 12:15:04 pm »
hi all have ordered a gro clock out of desperation a year of 5-5.30 wake ups.  My dd3 is nearly 23months old. 
How can you explain to a LO so that they understand the concept of stay asleep with moon and ok to wu with sun?  I can't fathom her getting it?