Author Topic: Bottle questions for neocate formula  (Read 8541 times)

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Bottle questions for neocate formula
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2012, 20:24:16 pm »
Is he finishing his bottles? If he is you need to put another oz in unless that amount is coming back up.

Have you looked into thickeners yet - if he is refluxing that would be worth going for I think.

Laura

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2012, 20:48:31 pm »
Laura, he's not too silly ATM just that silent reflux cough etc ::)
These are what we have here http://www.cryingoverspiltmilk.co.nz/food/thickeningagentsforreflux/ I was thinking of trying the karicare one if I need too?

Ill add another scoop for his next bottle - though he's due feed and sleep at same time now today ::)
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Lolly

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2012, 21:40:44 pm »
It's quite common for formula fed babies to be doing EASAES around 12 weeks really - they do need longer between feeds sooner than BF babies although not sure if that applies to your formula!

I would try the thickener, DD's cough improved once she was on the reflux formula.

Laura

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2012, 21:42:55 pm »
Thanks ill pick one up today. :-*
I just fed on 3 hrs and he only took 3 oz ::) but I had too because he was due a sleep ??? Is top ups ok at this age during the transition?
***Sara***

Offline Lolly

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2012, 21:44:52 pm »
If he needs one - just watch you don't get into snacking, if he's not hungry after his nap wait until he is good and hungry. That's assuming he gives you hungry cues - DS was really bad at hungry cues ::)

Laura

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2012, 21:51:24 pm »
T ever cries really, just fusses and grunts/moans. If he cries it's pain. Soo hard to know when hungry. Ie when he STTN 11 hrs he wakes smiling and happily waits for meds then downs the bottle etc.. Z would screech for milk.

I know he can do 4 hrs he does this at least 1 day. I can't space then 4 hrly though or naps are messy. And i worry he wont get enough. I think ill try thickening tomorrow and only feeding at 3 hrs if he's due for a nap. Otherwise wait.

Oh and yes he was draining his first bottle and last night he did 2 NF not 1. 5 and 4 oz
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 21:53:20 pm by ZacsMumme »
***Sara***

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2012, 23:20:20 pm »
That's for sure a GS!  I would add an ounce to each bubba and try out the thickener too :)

I hadn't found BW at this age and DD was draining about 4-5 ozs every 3-4 hrs at this age.. I found that her times between feeds did vary a bit...

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2012, 00:01:13 am »
Okay so we're wonky :-\ I can't get his E spaced out right YK. I attempted to cf a bit last night he took 3oz at both 4.30/6.30 but then woke at 10.30 and drained a bottle ::) so I'm flagging the Cf idea. It's been 5 days of waking around this time at night so I think I'm going to try a DF. I got in quick last night so it was almost one YK and he settled back to sleep well. I don't mind holding him for he first 20 mins after feed either. He then STTN till 6 and only took 3 oz at 6am ???

Bought thickener yesterday but he can't get out out the teat! - was using var flow....ended up giving as gel first then feed. Think it's helping but can't do every feed this way. It's too messy ::) any tips to get the formula through the bottle or is it up to him to be able to manage it?

X

***Sara***

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2012, 00:59:35 am »
any tips to get the formula through the bottle or is it up to him to be able to manage it?

We had to start using the faster flow nipples when we switched to thickened formula.  I started with the slow flow (not variable) and found that she had a much easier time when we switched to the faster flow.

I don't think I really got DD into a good EASY until she was 3 months...and even then she was so low sleep needs it ended up being EAEAS (with the second A being a little book and a diaper change :) ).  I was fine with 2 Es before sleep because of the reflux it was better for her if I didn't try to stuff a ton of formula in her at once...and she slept much better with the top up before her naps ;)  Moral of my long story:  I wouldn't worry too much about it right now, I would just write down what kind of EAS he's got going for a week or so and see if there are any patterns.  It might take awhile to get him into a regular sort of schedule or routine, since he may be catching up on eating right now!

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2012, 02:18:55 am »
Thanks TB, i do find sometimes he feeds better when first waking or sleepy. shouldn't the Var flow be the easiest to get the milk throu? I mean it's a big X?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 02:21:28 am by ZacsMumme »
***Sara***

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2012, 02:29:21 am »
the vari flow didn't work for DS. for the short while we thickened it was really getting a faster flow teat that worked out for us.
Elise

Offline Canadian_Mom

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2013, 03:53:46 am »
Vari-flow didn't work for us either (I don't really understand why...).  We use Dr Brown's bottles and went up two levels and he was able to drink it easily.

As well on the reflux board someone mentioned feeding them right when they woke up and that really helped us for a while with feeding after naps as I didn't have to fight him with those bottles!!  As well they suggested feeding right before a nap when they were sleepy, but didn't work for us as it guaranteed a 30 min wake up with him covered in puke  :P
-Nadia

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2013, 06:41:53 am »
Thanks nadia ;) well I think the thickener is causing him discomfort ??? - could be possibly be intolerant to it?
Ingredients
Pregelatinised maize starch, maltodextrin, locust bean gum

I reduced the amount so it just thickens slightly but he seems uncomfortable after all feeds with it. Ugh...

This arvo he wouldn't feed much at BT. :( now I know we wil have two NF amd probably wind boo. I'm going to go for feeding right on nap WU in his room if Z allow it. I think it may help reduce his air intake too.

Not sure if I need to go to another board but I don't think he's eating enough :( he is definitely gaining weight though, I can feel it when picking him up, he looks fuller in the tummy, faceetc YK? Today he only had approx 18oz (he had a NF at 2.45 last night with 5) - I'm using approx as we do mls here
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 06:53:13 am by ZacsMumme »
***Sara***

Offline Canadian_Mom

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2013, 10:20:44 am »
I would be less inclined to think of it as an intolerance (though it is a possibility) and more of just causing belly pain. A lot of LOs can't tolerate a thickener as it hurts their bellies too much  :P  How have his poops been since giving the thickener? Did the mucous increase? I know that when I gave DS2 some Hylands teething tablets they caused belly pain and increased mucous in his poop and then I realized the lactose in them was hurting him :(

What makes you think he isn't eating enough? I know that on is the lower side for total amount but what else makes you think he isn't getting enough?
-Nadia

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2013, 13:27:40 pm »
Sara, I'd make sure he's gaining and having plenty of wet nappies. Some babies seem to gain weight well on not that many oz, hopefully T is like that.
Elise