Author Topic: Bottle questions for neocate formula  (Read 8545 times)

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: Bottle questions for neocate formula
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2013, 18:39:40 pm »
He does have wet nappies. We have an appointment with plunket Monday for weight. I'm sure he has gained. It just seems like so little going in YK? He feeds better drowsy so I may have to start feeding on nap WU :-\
Thanks nadia, it definitely gives him a belly ache ::) sensitive gut! Ill lay off it for a few days and see if he improves.
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2013, 00:34:58 am »
The thickener has a corn ingredient - can be hard on the tummy for sure ;)

Laura's kids rarely went over 25 ozs/24 hrs and maintained 90th centiles ;)

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2013, 00:43:46 am »
Definitely causing tummy pain ::) not used it today and his guts fine. That said he's refluxing a bit. Gawd it's frustrating - I have to pick the lesser evil :(

He's feeding better today too. Maybe because of the sore tummy he fed less :-\
***Sara***

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2013, 05:51:47 am »
Is there an alternative thickener you can try? 

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2013, 07:44:01 am »
Mmm yes but they all have maize and im suspicious this is the troublesome ingredient :-\

http://www.cryingoverspiltmilk.co.nz/food/thickeningagentsforreflux/
***Sara***

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2013, 08:34:57 am »
Somebody on here made their own thickener with guar gum bought on line - I can't remember who it was though!

I'll have a think!

Laura

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2013, 23:02:28 pm »
A bit of Google found this from Reflux Rebels!   http://refluxrebels.com/Acid_reflux/Acid_reflux_formula_thickening.html

Homemade Gel Thickener Recipe

One of our mom's was given this recipe at the children's hospital after a swallow study. This is a hypoallergenic and tasteless type of thickener. Xanthan gum is derived from corn, so if your baby has a confirmed corn allergy, this thickener may not be recommended. It does not add extra calories to the formula.

This recipe will make 64 ounces for about $5 and contains no preservatives. It is best to make 16 ounce batches at a time to maintain freshness, and it must be stored in the refrigerator. One tablespoon will thicken 4 ounces of formula to a nectar consistency, and two tablespoons will thicken it to a honey consistency.
Ingredients

2 tablespoons of xanthan gum powder (store in freezer)

16 ounces of water
Directions

Place the water in a blender and have it going when you add the xanthan gum. Blend until it reaches a gel consistency. Store it in the fridge.

This will produce a batch of gel thickener that you can mix into any drink. Depending on how thick you need the fluid will determine how much of the gel to use. For honey-like consistnecy add 1 tablespoon of gel per 2 ounces of liquid and shake. For nectar-like consistency add 1 tablespoon of gel per 4 ounces of fluid.

You can thicken ahead of time as the bottle will not continue to thicken as it does with cereal thickening.

The shaking to blend can trap air bubbles in the fluid and contribute to extra gas for your infant. If you suspect this, add Simethicone drops to each bottle. (Mylicon - found in any store)

* Xanthan gum can be purchased at many stores (gluten-free section) or online at http://www.barryfarm.com/thickeners.htm

**Each 4oz. bag should make 128 ounces of thickener.

Offline Amanda5555

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 12
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2013, 12:43:15 pm »
Hi Sara

Hope your appointment went well and T is gaining weight again!

I am very well versed here with similar struggles as you've described in your post. ((((((HUGS)))))))Hang in there take it day by day.

A couple of things that stand out to share from our experience......

B never seemed to feel full and his cries for hunger etc were very hard to decipher. He seemed to polish off whatever number of ounces we gave him and cry when the bottle was empty no matter what. We experimented alot and would add ounces to next feeds etc etc. In the end we had to try adding an ounce for following feeds but also had to learn how limit him based on the formula of 2-3 oz per pound per day. ( 3 oz in hot weather or if he seemed extra thirsty) If we over fed him it would make things worse as well so we really couldn't win. It was like we had to learn the impossible task of reading his mind arrrrgghhhh. No matter what we did (neocate, optimal reflux meds, motility agent, stool softner) there was no magic or marked improvement for us for any significant amount of time. Because B overate he was able to maintain his weight for the most part which was a good thing though.

Thickener for us was a good thing. We chose a xanthum gum based thickener simply thick. He seemed to feel better when he was able to keep more of his feeds inside and looking back now I think he was borderline dry. Not to the point of dehydration but close. He still had the absolute minimum number of wet diapers per day but it drastically improved when we started the thickener. I waited a long time to try it because I feared his tummy wouldn't handle it. He also seemed to poop much better with the thickener. We were forced to try thickener because he has dysphagia and the amount of rice cereal they wanted me to use to get it thick enough his tummy couldn't handle.

The other thing to mention is tongue tie. Make sure you have T checked well for tongue tie. In trying to figure poor B's trouble out one of the things we came across was tongue tie. Sometimes they are hard to see clearly if they are more at the back or buried. This website may be helpful and they may have someone near you if you were interested. B apparently doesn't have tongue tie but he does have some weird issues with his mouth movement and has dysphagia for and unknown reason.

http://milkmatters.org.uk/international-service-tongue-tie-talk/

B is calling so I have to go if I think of some more I will post again later  :)

Tons of (((((((((HUGS))))))))

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2013, 22:49:14 pm »
Kara thanks :-* I worry that corn could be a problem though, that said items worth a shot. Ill try it on return from our hol....last few days without it he has been quite good, unless he guts's his feed down ::)

Amanda. YK your post struck a chord with me re TT T was checked at birth, we have seen a ped and my dr has seen him a few times and there has been no concern BUT last few weeks I have had a nigly feeling he could have a touch of TT. His tounge does look a little different, like it is pulled in a touch in the middle. We have his 12 week Imms next wed (late I know but were away next week) and I've asked him to see the dr to check specifically for it.

He also takes in ridiculous amounts of air sometimes, it's like he gulps it for fun ::) 

Last two days E has been good though. I think 3hrs15 is working well. Today is/will be
E 2.45am (last night)
E 7.15
E 10.30
E 1.45 - planned
E 5
This is where it gets messy. Do I then just offer a TU at BT. I can't feed to close to BT or he is windy so would have to be 6/6.30?
***Sara***

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2013, 23:02:30 pm »
If a full feed at BT is a bad idea, I would just offer a top up of a few ounces ;)

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2013, 23:04:34 pm »
Thanks, yes i think ill do that. If he's really hungry at BT too he is silly on the bottle and we get mega wind ::) fx for this evening x
***Sara***

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 44
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2013, 23:35:04 pm »
For what it's worth my LO was sooooo very gassy on neocate we switched to Elecare and he's been 10X better. The GI said he doesn't know why as they're essentially the same thing but he has parents whose lo's just do better on one more than the other. Might be something to think about.
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2013, 00:39:09 am »
Interesting siobhan. Bit like reflux PPIs ::)
Unfort neocate is the only avail amino acid formula. I could no doubt get the other in but it wouldn't be funded :(
Overall things are getting better. Jenny (edsjanda) mentioned that her son just had an immature gut too so with all this it just took time to be 100%.  I think T is similar :-\
***Sara***

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 44
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2013, 00:53:02 am »
Yeah it took my LO a while to get over his waking in the night with gas pains. He finally started to be able to pass the gas on his own and that helped. Now he thinks it's funny to fart.
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2013, 01:07:41 am »
Lol sounds like my toddler. ;)
***Sara***