Author Topic: Bottle questions for neocate formula  (Read 8507 times)

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Bottle questions for neocate formula
« on: December 21, 2012, 01:23:54 am »
So I guess I belong here now ;)

I have some questions given I know NOTHING about FF an infant :o

First...if T is draining a bottle (120mls - 4ounces) does this mean I add an ounce for his next feed, or next feed of that time the next day ??? Sometimes he drains a bottle, others only 2/3... I'm trying to do 3 hrly or so but he hasn't gained weight in 4 weeks and seems hungry :D so I'm giving him a full bottle around 2hrs45mins if he wakes and seems hungry then Yk?

Is there a limit to how much he should have total? - he is on neocate gold.

I'm thinking of recording how much he has for a few days...good idea?

Tia :-*
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: Bottle questions for neocate formula
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 04:54:49 am »
Welcome to Bottle feeding Sara :)

If he drains a bottle, add an ounce to his feeds... chances are he can go 3 hrs between feeds...

As for how much at each feed - it does really vary, but there are a few guides out there... one is 4 ozs by a month of age with a further ounce for each month of age (can be way off because of the variation in size of babies!)... the other is 2.5 ozs per pound of weight per 24 hours...

So, a 10lb baby would be about 25 ozs/day total  :)

That said, some kids drink a tonne and others max out at less than the "recommended amount."  Laura's kids maxed at 25 ozs a day (both were refluxers) but both were also 90th centile and maintained just fine!  Mine is an average bubs (50th centile for weight as an infant) - she was taking around 24-26 ozs at T's age...  If I remember right, her feeds were about 5 ozs each at this age...

I always spaced feeds to ensure she would drink her bottle completely (or very close)...

Other things to consider with FF:
1. time between feeds is often a bit more than with BF (we were at 3 hrs easily at 2-3 months) and moved seamlessly to 4 hrly at 3 months 3 weeks after 2 weeks of her not finishing her bottle and being fussy (took me that long to figure out that she wasn't hungry yet!).

2. some bubs need a burp every couple ounces, others don't at all until the end of the feed.

3. feeds should take a max of 20 mins (if taking too long, might need a faster teat :) ).

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 07:40:21 am »
So helpful! :-*
He's hoovering them ATM :-\ poor thing hasn't gained weight in weeks :( ill try offering 5 ounces (or 150mls I thinks equiv here)
T is very long so he probably needs lots to fill him up ;)

I try to burp him through the bottle but he gets angry. So I'm using infacol to kelp make sure the burps come and have changed his bottle from avent to to tommee tippee closer to nature and he is taking in way less air.

Thank you :-*
***Sara***

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 08:13:16 am »
The TT are good - we used the vari flow teat with DD, they can control the flow themselves by how hard they suck with that one and it doesn't have the constant drip that most teats do.

He should be able to go 3 hours on formula. when DD was newborn and I was able to pump for a week or so she would go 3 hours on 3oz of formula but be starving at 2 hours on the dot on 3oz of breastmilk. If he is draining bottles though you need to incease them all as you never really know if they will want it or not, it can be a waste though.

I gave up burping my two mid bottle, they were both happier taking what they wanted down in one, if I stopped them that was it ::). There was a phase with DS when we sat very still covered in towels for a while after a feed though ;D. The neocate formula tends to be thinner than normal (but not sure about the gold!) so you may need to think about thickening it.

Laura

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 13:19:33 pm »
I gave up burping my two mid bottle, they were both happier taking what they wanted down in one, if I stopped them that was it

Same here.

Don't worry about a limit - feed him as much as he wants, and eventually things may settle down.

Good luck xx
Elise

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 20:01:47 pm »
same as the other two - if I stopped DD mid bottle, she would just quit the feed.  It always shocked my mom that she would guzzle her bottle happily and not stop at all!  By 5 months, she could down 7 ozs in one shot ::)  My wee porker!

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 20:28:43 pm »
When we switched DD to formula (right around Ts age) she was at about 4oz/bottle, and yep she was a hungry little thing when we switched as well because her formula was thickened and for once it wasn't all coming back up!  I did record the amounts she was eating for a couple weeks to try to get a feel for how much she wanted.

We also couldn't stop mid feed to burp, she'd just get angry!  We ended up with the playtex ventaire to keep gas at a minimum after trying lots of different types.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 22:06:57 pm »
Lol yes he doesn't like me stopping mid feed ::)
He is spilly, I picked up some var flow teats and he likes them :D burping ok BUT today I've noticed sometime the milk is seeping out down his chin from his mouth??? Latch? Or too fast flow? Or almost done? - it's near end of bottle.

What is a playex ventaire TB?
***Sara***

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 22:26:02 pm »
Sara - Playtex Ventaire are a North American thing and TBH, I wasn't at all a fan... made my baby very gassy and she isn't a refluxer at all...

The little bit trickling out the side is super common when they are learning to use a new teat ;)  I would give him a few days to adjust - FWIW, there were phases that DD would have the little trickle no matter what... sometimes, it would help to sit her up a bit more near the end of the bottle though ;)

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 22:28:20 pm »
Thanks, phew I was worried it was bad...I already have T pretty upright anyway due to the reflux. Ill keep an eye on it. X
***Sara***

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 22:29:33 pm »
LOL!  Not bad at all... I think it's fairly common with these babies who just chug down a whole feed!  I know if I tried to guzzle 4-5 ozs in one go, I might have a bit dribble out too ;)

Solution: cotton bib.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 08:29:30 am »
Lol I have burp cloths and bibs galore ::)

So I have a problem, my boy doesn't really give good hunger cues, he never has. :-\ his reflux is a bit worse now too as he is actually getting/taking full feeds (which is great but makes it harder to know when he's hungry)
So...I'm kind of just offering on WU if he does a good nap and its been 3 hrs.

It's working ok but sometime I resettle after 40 mins then he does another 1.5 hrs. I prefer not to wake from his naps unless he's had long ones all day...but E then gets messed up.

Today we had (from last night)
2am NF 120mls/4o
7.30 between 120/150mls or 4/5o
10.30 120mls/4o
2.30 140mls/5o
6 150mls/5o

I was going to offer at 7 but he spills a lot now and he doesn't seem to want... He was spilling anda bit fluxy before Bt at 7. SO How can I fit in CF ??? Should I be trying more to offer at particular times? I'm just really going with the flow ATM while he gets used to it. Or should I flag it and try a DF, or none
***Sara***

Offline Lolly

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 08:56:43 am »
I would just go with the flow to be honest, I also wouldn't bother with a cluster feed, it may be too much milk too close together for him. Don't forget it can take a couple of weeks for whatever was bothering him to leave his system and for him to be feeling better so maybe re-evaluate once he's been on the formula for 2/3 weeks.

You could try a DF but refluxers seem to do better without one - neither of mine would take it!

Laura

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 18:41:17 pm »
Cool thanks Laura. He seems to be having 1 NF around 4/5 then up at 7 so not too bad ;)
***Sara***

Offline Lolly

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 18:49:13 pm »
Not too bad??!! Mine were up between 10 and midnight and again about 4 hours later at that age! ;D

Laura