Author Topic: Extended Nursing Support Thread Part 5  (Read 284571 times)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Re: Extended Nursing Support Thread Part 5
« Reply #255 on: November 23, 2013, 21:55:16 pm »
Had to share more adventures in feeding a toddler- Yesterday hamish was wondering about the house while we were in bed (small house- i was listening...) next thing i hear a rustling from the loungeroom. 'WHat are you doing hamish?' 'Hamish eating chip!' he was eating the chips/crisps i'd left on the table the niht before. He then comes into our bed with another chip (what i like to call the 'breakfast of champions') and sits there eating it- he THEN decides that some MILK would be the perfect accompaniment!! So i decided there and then a new rule: 'No milk from mummy while you are eating chips"- I don't see this as unreasonable- and neither did he!!!

I must say on reflection denying my child the goodness of breastmilk as he was eating a chip was sort of amusing...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #256 on: November 23, 2013, 23:49:01 pm »
Lol
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #257 on: November 24, 2013, 03:06:24 am »
LOL!

I have suddenly got really sore nipples - like the stabbing pains of feeding in the really early days :( L is not happy about it, but he's gone this morning without his feed. We'll see what happens tonight. I told him they're very sore and I need to take them to the doctor...

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #258 on: November 24, 2013, 10:32:38 am »
I'm wondering if it could be thrush? I've not had it but i thought that had that sort of pain... I'm sure you could get thrush at any time in the nursing journey. It would be a PITA though as i think you need to treat yourself AND your LO's mouth... no expert though...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #259 on: November 24, 2013, 19:37:04 pm »
Maybe :-\ Ugh. I think that would just be the end. One side is getting better... I might as well make an appt with the doc, and canx if I don't need it - takes  a good couple of days to get an appt. ::)

Thanks for the suggestion - hadn't thought of that.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #260 on: November 24, 2013, 19:55:45 pm »
it would be the end for me that's for sure.. but again- no expert...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #261 on: December 12, 2013, 21:04:26 pm »
I posted this on the main board, but thought I'd include it here as well as I'm really hoping to get opinions ASAP:
My son will be 15 months tomorrow. He currently gets a bf before bed and wakes up once at night for one, between 3 and 5am. He used to have a lot more NFings but we're now down to just one. I'm going away next week for two days, and have decided that I'm going to stop nursing. My mom will be looking after him. I am just looking for suggestions in terms of how to transition. The bed time feeding likely won't be hard to cut out, but the feeding between 3 and 5am is probably going to be a struggle. I do have extra breast milk in the freezer, but even if my mom gives this to him in a sippy (he won't take a bottle), I doubt he'll want it. He just likes nursing.
So I guess what I'm looking for is a plan. The night before I go away, should I cut out the bed time feed? Or two nights before? And then increase his cow's milk that day? (He's currently drinking between 6-9 oz a day). It can be a chore to get him to drink cow's milk...
He is a big boy, and he eats like all day long. I'm a tiny bit worried of how he's going to make up for all the lost calories from his two nursing sessions. But I do want to stop nursing, and think the best time is when I'm gone and won't be tempted to feed him. Then just allow my milk to dry up. Suggestions welcome!!!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #262 on: December 12, 2013, 22:44:58 pm »
I would probably just wait until you go. When you wean he will likely need more comfort and hugs from you so going away the next day or a couple days later will probably be harder on him. If you aren't there he will likely just not ask as he knows he can only ask you and so your mum can resettle him with a hug or back rub for example. Then when you come home you can say the milk is gone and you will be there to comfort him in a different way through the upset.

I went away for 2 nights when my DS2 was 13mo and he was still having a NF around 5am and then back to sleep for an hour or two. My husband just resettled him fine without me there even though I tended to do all the NWs before that even if I wasn't feeding. I weaned him off the NFs a couple months later but continued with the day feeds.

Your LO will make up for the lost milk in the day eventually. It might take a week or more but it will happen.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Vio

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #263 on: December 31, 2013, 21:43:42 pm »
Hi!
My nearly 16 m DS has recently started biting my nipples! The last 4 days he just bit me when he finished with one breast, and then fed from the other and bit me again. I always say "no", take him away from the breast for a while, still sitting on my lap I say "no biting, that hurts". Then, I let him feed again saying "but no biting". However, he has continued biting me after finishing each breast..
Tonigh was crisis: I put him to one breast and he immediately bit me very hard. I took him away, said no, etc. I tried the other breast and he bit me again. After trying 4 times, with 4 bites, I gave up. I thought he might not be hungry but I tried to give him solids instead and he eat a lot...
Do you think he might be wanting to quit BF?? I don't know another way of teaching him not to bite..

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #264 on: December 31, 2013, 21:49:28 pm »
That's the method i always used. How many times a day are you currently feeding? My guy would turn on that sort of antics when it ws time to drop a feed or something similar. You could also try moving the feed if there's only one? Perhaps he wants to get out and get busy rather than sit there at that time?
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Vio

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #265 on: December 31, 2013, 22:27:55 pm »
I currently give him 2 or 3 BF per day. One at 7 am, another at 4 and another at 9, at bed time. He is boring me in every one if them... :-[
I am definitely going to drop the 4pm breastfeed!!
I am thinking if trying tomorrow just the 7am and 9pm BF and see...
But I think the biting has already become a habit  :-\

Offline Vio

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #266 on: December 31, 2013, 22:34:52 pm »
Previos error: I me ant he os biting me every one of them, not boring

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #267 on: January 01, 2014, 09:19:02 am »
LOL!! I was thinking you had pretty high expectations if you were not wanting to be bored!! I would definitely drop that afternoon feed and see how you go.
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Vio

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #268 on: January 01, 2014, 12:59:09 pm »
LOL!!!
I'll drop that feed for sure. Although this morning at 9 he bit me as well after feeding for a few minutes...
By the way, happy new year!!!!!
And thanks a lot for your help, especially these busy days..

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #269 on: January 01, 2014, 14:48:19 pm »
Has he new teeth coming in? Sometimes biting happens because of a new tooth. He might feel a bit sore, or just very different.  If it is teeth, it should stop in a day or two.  Ouch though!
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.