Author Topic: Help with 3 to 2 transition (now 2-1 transition!)  (Read 12922 times)

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: Help with 3 to 2 transition
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2015, 06:29:47 am »
Yep, got it in one..over night sleep.

How about pushing that first nap by another 10mins, so 3.5hrs now? X

Offline LittleSplasherMum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2015, 06:49:34 am »
Ok, will try, although I think he's got a cold now  :( we had a rough evening yesterday, he woke three times screaming, the third time we could not resettle him, so use the nasal spray to clear his nose and gave him Calpol again and he slept better. I had to go in at 5.15 for a bit, then he slept till 6. Will see how he is at 9.

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2015, 14:32:48 pm »
Right, this morning I managed an A time of 3.23 and got a nap of 1.25h, so much better! In the afternoon I didn't push him too much because of his cold, A time 3.35ish, nap 1h. At least he slept till 3.25pm, so can try a later bedtime! fingers crossed
I don't think he'll ever do 1.5 for both naps, do you? seems to me that 2.5hrs sleep is enough for him, but with a longer A time we're doing better. Wdyt?

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2015, 18:51:39 pm »
Yay! Although, yep a cold might affect things. It definitely does seem much, much better!

We never had 2x 1.5hr naps either hun. It's a case of reading them and making sure you offer the sleep, it's up to them to take it! You're doing everything right.

Oh and try a vaporub on the soles of his feet (some people put socks on but we use a sleeping bag so never bothered), for some reason it really does work wonders for colds in this house x

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2015, 19:36:05 pm »
That's very good to know,, thanks! I'll get it in the morning if still bad. Tonight he went down so well, I put him down at 6.45 thinking he'd be asleep by 7, he was asleep at 6.50! fingers crossed for the night and wu!

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2015, 14:50:49 pm »
A part from a couple of brief wakings, the night was ok and wu was 6.35!! I just hope it's not a one off!
Morning nap 9.50-11.25, I had to wake him! Afternoon nap 3-3.30  >:(  Not sure what time to do bd now, hopefully the same as yesterday if he can manage.
Do you think I should wake him earlier from his morning nap to try to get a longer afternoon one? Yesterday with 1.25h in the morning he slept an hour in the afternoon, so maybe try that?  ???

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2015, 18:56:20 pm »
Woo hoo good night sleep! But  >:( to the pm nap as you said  ;)

Yep, we can definitely try that. At least then both naps will be restorative and might help stop ant chance of OT NW's. Give it a go and see and let me know?

Hope BT was ok, sorry didn't get chance to check in till now x

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2015, 19:12:51 pm »
No problem, thanks again for your help! Unfortunately lo is properly sick now, started crying at 6 and didn't stop until I put him down. His cough keeps waking him, so could be a bad night! I guess because he's sick if he sleeps a lot again tomorrow morning I should let him? :(

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2015, 19:16:17 pm »
Yes and yes! Sleep and more sleep is needed to get through this yucky time hun. DD actually fell asleep on the sofa once when she was ill, scared the life out of me! She hasn't done that since she was a wee one.

I'd try and see how he does in the morning. You'll tell by his temperament. If he can only make a couple of hours, just dose him up and let him sleep. You'll find he'll be better in a day or two, I'm sure  (hugs), hope he feel better soon x

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2015, 19:21:49 pm »
Will see how he is tomorrow then, thanks! x

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2015, 14:04:12 pm »
Well his cold is better (I think), but his naps are still patchy, especially the afternoon one  >:(
Only one day this week he slept for an hour, all the other days have been mostly 30/35 mins. Don't know what to do anymore  :(
I've been trying to push his bd forward, past 6.30, but it's really hard when he only sleeps 30 min in the afternoon.
His A times are now around 3.40hrs both am and pm. Today he woke at 5am coughing and could not get back to sleep, I went in at 5.30, tried very hard, he went back to sleep, only for 10 mins! So this morning he was up till 8.50, slept 1.05hr, afternoon A time 3.50, slept for 35 mins. I'm still going to try a bt of 6.30 and see where we are tomorrow.

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2015, 16:18:54 pm »
I'd hold it for another day, just to make sure he's totally over his cold hun. Then we can reassess tomorrow ok? Fingers crossed for a decent wu for you xx

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2015, 16:26:31 pm »
Ok, thanks! x

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2015, 09:28:32 am »
Well, yesterday after the 35 min pm nap he was up till 6.35 and slept fine! He can definitely stay up longer before bt now, or maybe a one off  ??? No, nws, woke at 4.55 though kind of crying, went and rubbed his back for about 5 mins, slept till 5.35. Now sleeping since 9.15, so he managed a 3.40hrs A. I think I will try 3.45 in the afternoon, I'm not going to wake him now as he's still got a bit of a runny nose, but the cough seems much better.

As for bt, I was thinking to push him to 6.45 today, unless he seems really tired, I'm still hoping for an hour pm nap (one can only hope!) though...

Btw, I was reading some posts about the 2-1 transition and I reckon we're getting there...will keep increasing his A time every three days or so and see what happens. I mean we're getting at least 11hrs at night, so I really want to get to a bd of 7/7.30 again, what is the best approach? Should I just keep him up a bit longer before bt (10 mins or so) every few days regardless of his pm nap? or wait till he starts napping better?

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2015, 11:49:46 am »
I think one goes with the other hun, once they start napping better you automatically get a later BT, but in order to get good naps you have to push the A time and that will also get you a later BT! Confusing eh?!

I'm always cautious of pushing the last A too much that's because we had more issues with OT before BT than anywhere else in the day, but that's us. Some LO's can handle a much longer A to BT but it's a case of trial and error to find what works best. I'm sure an extra 10mins before BT won't hurt. Just keep an eye out for any OT NW's in the early part of the night. They're usually easy ish to resettle.

I'd try adding more onto the first A initially, but as he seems to be doing ok with the A time at 3hr 40, I'd do it slowly. So maybe 10-15mins onto it and hold for a week. Then we can play with the other ones once that's held. I'm trying not to tweak them all in one go so as we can find what works best xx