Author Topic: 2.5 yr old worse than a newborn  (Read 9730 times)

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 2.5 yr old worse than a newborn
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2016, 09:05:36 am »
I know it's hard when they have a good sleep spell then it goes bad but just try to think of a day at a time. Do some games together, read stories and have fun with the kids, tonight's another night, tomorrow's another day try to keep yourself from getting to stressed (easier said than done I know)
Maybe have a little cuddle and chat with him about how nice it was he slept the other night and how it must've made him feel so full of energy etc just so he knows he did well x
Zoe

Offline athenasmom

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • What ice cream ... I had no ice cream!!!
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2016, 14:06:34 pm »
I was wondering about the melatonin too because I also thought it was more to help fall asleep. That is what my DS needed help with.

I think that it will need some time to get the meds out of his system. If you just took him off it a couple days ago then it might still affect him. BTW my DS who is pretty spirited had always restless nights after an exciting day like that. How close was the party to BT? I found that DS needed a good 3-4 hours to wind down after a party or exciting event. Was the rest of the night better? Because I also noticed with DS that if it was overstimulation then the first part of the night would be bad but then he would settle down and the rest of the night was OK.
*Suzanna*

Offline *Jo*

• Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2016, 18:54:28 pm »
He slept fine after that, only woke one other time and it was super quick.

So now basically he wakes twice a night for a quick "lay down" which is tons better than before but still not ideal.

I took some of his melatonin last night to see how it affects him (another parent suggested I do this as she had done it and was surprised how powerful it was) I took it and wow it is powerful and I'm an adult! Then I had the worst nights sleep! I kept waking up and I had about 5 dreams, two of them really vivid and scary, I'm not really sure I want to give him another dose now :(

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2016, 19:30:55 pm »
Sounds scary, can you give half doses to wean off it?
Zoe

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2016, 19:32:05 pm »
wow it is powerful and I'm an adult! Then I had the worst nights sleep! I kept waking up and I had about 5 dreams, two of them really vivid and scary, I'm not really sure I want to give him another dose now
That is scary!! But a great idea to try it.  I'm not sure I'd have thought of that.

How are you feeling now? You were super worried a few days ago ((hugs))
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2016, 21:18:14 pm »
I'm feeling ALOT better about the whole thing. I will give him a half dose tonight and see if that helps him, maybe that's why he's woken twice a night still?? I know it made me groggy all night long. Every time
I woke up I could still feel it so for saying it doesn't keep people asleep I would say that it does, at the right dose that doesn't give bad dreams

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2016, 21:59:51 pm »
Glad your feeling a bit better, at least you've been getting a bit better sleep. xx
Zoe

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2016, 14:13:02 pm »
Um so help!!!!
Half a tablet I gave him. We are right back to where we are. Multiple wakings and looooong. It's 3 and he's been awake for 30mins now with no indication he's going back to sleep.

I don't want to have to sedate him all the time!!!' This is ridiculous!!!

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2016, 14:16:56 pm »
Do you think I need to do some sort of gradual withdrawal method???

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2016, 14:40:31 pm »
Ah Hun I don't know enough about these sedatives to say, I'll have an ask about x
Zoe

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2016, 15:07:39 pm »
Here's my night so far:

Asleep 6pm
7:50- resettled with dummy
9:50- resettled with dummy
2:40am - came out of his room. I put him back and told him it's time for sleep and goodnight
2:50- calling out for me, half crying, starting to get more. Go to him, he tells me he wants Charlie Brown (toy that's beside his bed) I point to it and say he's right there
3:15- calling out for me, asks for Charlie Brown again. I go to him and give him Charlie Brown, he tells me he wants him beside the bed (where he originally was!) I tell him
Charlie Brown is tired and wants to go to sleep and goodnight. He says goodnight, quite happily.
3:30- pathetic whimper "muuuum" more like a whinge. I tell him it's time for sleep, I'll see you in the morning, goodnight
3:40- I give him second half of melatonin tablet and shut the door
3:45am- "muuuuuum" basically just whining for me
3:55am hard crying begins, crying out for dummy. Starts screaming for dummy.
4am he comes out of his room, crying. I go up the stairs, pick him up, throw him into bed and just start bawling my eyes out begging him to go back to sleep. He continues to ask for his dummy. I yell at him that it's beside his bed where IT ALWAYS IS! And he takes the spare one. He lays down. I just sit on the floor by his bed sobbing for a few mins trying to breathe as I realise I'm fighting an anxiety attack. Then I get up and leave.

I just don't know what else to do. It's 4am and I've had about 2 hours sleep. This is exactly like when I first started this thread. I'm so lost :(

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2016, 15:37:46 pm »
It's nearly 5am and he's still awake. This just isn't right is it?? Am I going out of my mind?? What am I doing wrong???!?!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2016, 16:17:14 pm »
Oh sweetie, what an awful night. I'd go back to the doctors, talk about the medication and have a chat about how you feel too.

Something isn't right, try to stay calm unknown easier said than done but it won't help either of you. Your not doing anything wrong your just having a really rough patch right now. I've got to fetch DS from pre school right now but I'll be back later xx
Zoe

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2016, 19:07:58 pm »
I've got an appt for him this afternoon. This isn't normal is it?? This isn't just a child that wants my attention? Please tell me it's not normal behavioural stuff?

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2016, 19:29:23 pm »
Good luck at the appointment, it seems that he is waking a bit too often but sometimes behavioural stuff does take ages to sort.

Can you cuddle him back to sleep at all?
Zoe