Author Topic: Oh help - don't remember it being so hard  (Read 10090 times)

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
Re: Oh help - don't remember it being so hard
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 09:53:59 am »
Hugs xx

There is a GS at day 3-5 so it's likely that in combination with your milk coming in. He's teeny tiny so try not to worry too much. A paci is a good idea. Feed him and hand him to your DH and get a break. It's hard enough to be feeding without needing to do all the settling in between. He will get used to the fast flow. I wouldn't be advising pumping if you've fast flow as may well cause supply issues.

Honestly I used to just snuggle up on the couch with Dd3 and sleep when she did. Get some rest xxx

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 13:31:34 pm »
Thanks. You have made me feel better mans hopefully just a growth spurt. Should I stick to trying to feed no more than every two hours in the night and day and use the paci In between if won't settle as I think feeding every half hour too much?

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2016, 14:32:47 pm »
2 hours is probably pushing it. I'd say though if you've feed for a good 10/15 minutes it's ok to hold off for a good hour. If he settles with the paci then super as it could be he's a super sucky baby. Mine were all like that. My first was never off my boob. With the other two I knew they could last a while between feeds.   Also keep an eye on feeding. He should be active feeding so suck suck swallow and not just nibbling. But then again comfort feeding is super for supply but it's important to get a break too.

How are your poor nipples holding up?  I needed a lot of lansinoh in the first while as I got quite grazed and sore. How's his latch?

You're doing GREAT!! BFing is so hard xxx

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2016, 18:52:35 pm »
He's done well today with 2 hourly feeds and is feeding well. I've just fed him now snd off to bed for hopefully few hours sleep!! My OH has 3oz of Expressed milk to try when he needs it to hopefully give me a bit longer, that's the plan so fingers crossed!!! Do you think that to feed every hour at night is fairly normal at this stage? I will try Paci if wakes after half an hour and if that doesn't work I guess I should just feed?? My nipples sre surprisingly fine considering the marathon feeding!!!!thanks again, you definitely are keeping my spirits up and for that I'm truely grateful xx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2016, 19:00:10 pm »
Hurray!!!! Sounds like a super day today. Well done both of you!!!

Hope you get a few hours rest. Amazing the difference a bit of sleep makes!  How were you feeling today? Have the hormones settled?

That sounds like a good plan for tonight. He'll soon let you know if he wants fed and not the paci.

Fingers crossed for a good night for you both.  Keep at it. You're doing great. Those early days are coming back to me and they really are so overwhelming xxxx

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2016, 01:21:33 am »
So far it's started better so that's an improvement. He stayed with DS until 1130pm which was great as gave me two hours much needed rest. He fed well at 1130pm and I settled him into the Moses using the paci. He then woke at 150pm for his next feed which is what I am going now. So it's absolutely fab that his feeds have stretched and I got him into basket albeit with use of paci and some rocking. I'm hoping that the rocking and use of paci can be temporary whilst he adapts to the Moses basket. Not sure what the rest of the night will bring but will let you know. Thx again and yes although very tired today didn't feel as emotional so think hormones settled a bit xx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2016, 07:22:45 am »
That's great!! In those early weeks you just do what you need to do and don't worry about the rest. He sounds like he's feeding much better.  Hurray.

Make sure you're enjoying some newborn snuggles among the madness as it goes so quickly xx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2016, 21:52:40 pm »
Was just heading to bed after a Marathon feeding and Settling to bed session and I thought of you. How are you getting on today??

Hugs xxxx

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2016, 01:15:43 am »
Thanks for thinking of me, hope you are not too pooped after your marathon feeding sesh, how olds your LO?

Well the first part of the night started ok as I managed a few hours sleep while OH did some expressed milk but after that it was petty much every hour and had him in bed with me. Was very tired by this afternoon and felt really snappy with the other kids which makes me feel bad.

This evening has been a bit better so far. I seemed to feed every hit from 530om then I went to bed at 9 when OH did a bottle and I managed a few hours. I fed him at 1230pm and managed to get him into Moses basket. He woke just now at 150pm so feeding him. I think he woke with wind as was very squirmy then burped as I picked him up. I saw the midwife today and she said that feeding hourly was probably not necessary as he could be just snacking and bit therefore getting the hind milk. Do you think I should have not fed him just now after an hour and 20 when he woke? I did try the paci but he seemed hungry? How are your nights? X

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2016, 01:54:41 am »
So I finished the feed at 150pm and put him back into basket. He seemed fine at first but then got really upset. I'm pretty sure it's wind as he's pulling his knees up and just looks in pain. He has always fatted a bit and generally looks uncomfortable. I've picked him up to wind him and now currently rocking him to sleep in my arms. I can't imagine he will now settle in basket. He seems to get a build up of wind and then I think that is half the problem at night. Do you have and ideas on what I could do? Should I try infacol maybe?

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2016, 06:27:47 am »
I think it's still very very early days. He's not a week old yet so don't worry. We seemed to have that wind build up at 2/3/4am and it just took a bit of time to work through. If I couldn't get her settled after feeding I gave her to my DH and he took her downstairs to wind and get back to sleep but that only needed to happen a handful of times.

At this age I don't really think they can be snacking. Is he sleepy when you're feeding? It could be you need to take him off and strip him and wake him up to burp and then keep feeding to get longer than 10 mins?? My DD3 had short feeds as was so sleepy so I did need to help her take a bit more at feed times.

After 1hr20 and no resettling Id have just fed and hoped that would get him back to sleep.

How did the rest of the night go? Hang in there. You've come so far already x

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2016, 17:26:38 pm »
He didn't really settle again so I pretty much fed every hour again. I'm just so exhausted and really tearful again today. I feel bad for my other two kids as I'm not the usual upbeat mum they have. I can't believe it's my third and I am feeling so overwhelmed, I really hope this feeling passes soon. I'm going to get OH to give bottle again about 9pm so I can get a few hours sleep before the dreaded night!! I'm going to try swaddling tonight with a cellular blanket. Hope you have a good night xx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2016, 18:21:37 pm »
Flipping hormones! On day 6 my DH had the kids at the park and Id to ring and tell him to keep them out as I was so distressed and upset and I didn't want them to see me in that state. Be reassured our first few weeks were awful as I ended up sick with thrush then mastitis then a breaSt abscess and my poor older kids hardly got a look in other than snuggles on the settee and they don't remember that bit at all.

Wonder would be better getting DH to do a later bottle feed. I tended to feed to 10 and there was a lot of feeding in the evening. My DH would get her to sleep and just hold and resettle as long as he could then feed a bottle change and resettle in bed. So I got from 10-2/3 which meant the rest of the night didn't seem so long.

HOws today been?

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2016, 06:00:28 am »
Well Shiv52 I'm so happy if you were here I'd hug you!! So he cluster fed most of the day, fed at 630pm slept in basket until 930pm. I then fed him at 930pm and went to bed. I didn't really sleep as he was pretty unsettled for 2 hours but OH did bottle at 1130pm and put him in basket. He bought him up tou bedroom asleep in the basket, he woke at 2am for a feed. I then swaddled him and he's still asleep now at 7am!!!! Can you believe it??!! I should be asleep and I really didn't sleep the whole not expecting him to wake. Fingers crossed this continues xxxx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2016, 06:44:58 am »
Yay!! Sounds like it's all going in the right direction 😃😃😃😃

The cluster feeding in the day helps to get better night stretches I found. I'm delighted for you and hopefully you'll sleep more tonight if he does similar. Even not being up every two minutes will help you feel more rested too.

Siobhan xx