Author Topic: I'm going insane with 3.5-mo hardly eating, HELP!  (Read 106471 times)

Offline Lippy Chick

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • North Tyneside, UK
Re: I'm going insane with 3.5-mo hardly eating, HELP!
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2007, 19:06:20 pm »
We had a better end to the day.  I stuck with the playtex bottles given that she seemed to take the previous one well (even though she fell asleep).  Her fourth feed she took 150ml (just over 5oz) then her last feed she polished off 180mls (6oz) for the first time in weeks.  She also took them quicker, within 40 mins, rather than taking an hour.  We are wondering whether it has been wind related all along and now that the bottles are different with a fast flow teat (she's always been quite lazy, we had to go to medium flow within her first week) maybe it's agreeing with her more.  We'll see how tomorrow goes, then of course late afternoon she'll be stuck with needles and throw her out for about a week.  Thank goodness there are no more inoculations for about 8 months. 

I can't actually go in when she has her jabs, I just cry :'(.  Pathetic, I know, so my husband has to come home early and take her.  I go and wait outside to be good mummy afterwards.  Anyone else have this problem?

Feeling a bit happier this evening after a stressful start. Yeah, she does sleep through (until this problem started; she has woken up a couple of nights needing fed), so hopefully she will again tonight.  Really sorry to hear you had a bad day yesterday, it is so discouraging, especially when they have been doing so well and seem to regress for no reason. 

I really appreciate being able to "talk" about this on this site and that there are others with similar problems who are prepared to "listen".

I guess we can say that we celebrated her 4 month birthday today with some new bottles and hopefully helping her through this trying time. 
Pauline
Alice (30th March 2007)

The Lord is my Shepherd, I'll not want.

[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/ezb/1097063.png[/img]

Offline ~*~Little Miss Sunshine~*~

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2007, 19:10:44 pm »
Happy 4 month birthday Alice!!  I am so glad she did better in the afternoon.  Hopefully you have found a solution!  you are very lucky that you don't have to have any more jabs for 8 months!  Over here we have to go again when ds is 6 months, then 9 months, then 12 months, etc.  FUN FUN!!  I don't enjoy watching them stick ds with needles (I almost cried the first time) but I can still be there.  It is very tough on some moms.  The doc actually asked if I would be OK with it :)  At least they realize it is very hard for us!!

Well, here's wishing you a restful night.  DS has actually taken some good naps today so I too am hoping his night will be better. 

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2007, 19:12:58 pm »
I am pleased that the Playtex bottles were better.  You say you think it may be wind related - have you tried using Infacol to help your lo bring up her wind?

Hope the Jabs went ok  :-* I sobbed when my DS had to have his - it is heartbreaking to watch.
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline grahamsmama

• Showing Appreciation 38
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2007, 23:30:10 pm »
((Hugs)) to everyone still having a hard time. 
Meghan had a hard day too. 
One trick I've discovered with her that sometimes works is to stick a pacifier in her mouth when she starts fussing during a feed.  I let her suck for a few minutes and then she will sometimes take the bottle and eat again.  This makes me think it is the reflux and the sucking without food is soothing to her esophagus.  But who knows, it's just speculation on my part.

Offline liz6969

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2007, 08:55:21 am »
Hi all,
Hope you don't mind me butting in. But I came on here to post a new topic about this and then found all of you going through the same. My lo is 16 weeks and for about the last week she has just not seemed hungry she takes about 40 mins to drink 7oz on 2 teats and it's only because i'm pushing her that she takes it. Also she seems to only want to sleep for 40 mins max but then she falls asleep while eating. The plus side is I have gone cold turkey to 4 hour easy and she seems to be quite happy with that. How long do you think this part will last cause it worries me that she is not eating that much.

thanks Liz xx

Offline Lippy Chick

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • North Tyneside, UK
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2007, 13:24:38 pm »
Welcome.  Who knows how long it will last.  My health visitor reckons that at around 16 weeks a lot of babies go through developmental changes and become very challenging and normally it all evens out by week 20.  I do find it bizarre that so many of us are going through this at the same time.  Alice is taking an hour to take 3-4oz.  Today with the change of bottle it has been better.  It is still taking her an hour to feed, but she has taken good quantities.  She has been much calmer during the feeds and has taken 6oz, 7oz and 5oz today so far. 

Liz, how did you go cold turkey on the 4hour EASY, we've been thinking about doing that?  She seems to get hungry towards the end of the bottle around 3 3/4 hours rather than 3 hours.  How did you cope with the fact she only sleeps 40mins at a time?  How long did you keep her up in between feeds?  I know exactly how you feel, it is a worry.  My health visitor also suggested not forcing the food into her but kind of letting her guide me as to how much she wants and when.  So we do sit the hour out with each bottle and hope that during that time she'll take a decent amount. 

I've been doing the dummy thing too.  She'll eat a bit, then stop, cry a bit, so I'll give her the dummy, try again about 10 mins later and sometimes she takes it and sometimes she doesn't.  I know what you mean about speculating as to what the problem is, we've  been doing the same thing.

We had her on Infacol when she was days old and it seemed to help for a couple of days and then her wind got worse again, so we changed to the colief.  We're now trying to wean her off that.

You're right that it is terrible you have to go so often for inoculations, at least here they get a good break from it.  Here it's: 2,3,4,12 and 13 months.

Not counting my chickens, just yet, but at least she has been eating a lot more today.  The HV is coming on Thursday to weigh her, so that'll be interesting. We'll see how she goes after she has her jabs later though.  Fun, fun, fun indeed.

Pauline
Alice (30th March 2007)

« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2007, 13:27:42 pm »
Hope the jabs went OK!  Glad to hear that she is eating a bit more today  :) BTW, Alice is absolutely beautiful!!

Offline Lippy Chick

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • North Tyneside, UK
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2007, 18:57:15 pm »
Anne, thanks so much for you kind comment about Alice; loads of people say she looks like me!! ;)  Of course Roman is a wee cutie.

She handled her jabs well.  Of course she screamed the place down, but was happy-ish by the time we got home and has been OK this evening.  She tends to be OK a couple of days after, but then up until about a week afterwards is really grumbly and off her food etc.  GREAT!! 

She fed much better today, although still taking an hour and still taking a bit, then refusing it, then taking it again, she was much calmer.  We'll see how we go over the next week.  She was also much happier today, more like the happy wee baby we know and love.  She was smiling at different people today rather than crying every time someone came near her.  I also had a half giggle out of her too, sooooooo cute.  She also nearly got her foot into her mouth during the bath today, it was about an inch away aaaand she rolled over onto her side today, not fully onto her tummy... yet.  She's been a busy girl.
Pauline
Alice (30th March 2007)

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2007, 19:42:30 pm »
Wow she really seems to be going through a developmental phase Pauline.

I am pleased that the jabs went ok, and that she settled soon after.

Keep us posted  :-*

Offline Lippy Chick

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • North Tyneside, UK
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2007, 12:18:11 pm »
She seems to be doing better today...so far!!

She's taken her first two feeds within 30 mins and has taken 8oz and 6oz, so far.  She has been asleep for over an hour and a half and went down herself without any intervention.  She peeped at around 40 mins and I was all ready for going to the loo before getting her up and she went back to sleep.  She may of course be tired from her jabs.  We'll see how the rest of the day goes.  Again don't want to count my chickens before they're hatched.  Why are babies so strange?

Pauline
Alice (30th March 2007)

« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2007, 12:37:11 pm »
Wow!  Sounds like Alice is doing better.  Of course we all know that could change at the drop of a hat, but let's have hope!  I can't wait until Roman lets out a giggle.  He seems so close, but alas, nothing comes out :)  Keep us posted (maybe Alice needed those jabs to get her back on track!)

Offline grahamsmama

• Showing Appreciation 38
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2007, 19:05:53 pm »
Pauline- that's great!!
Anne- Meghan did a lot of grunty type laughs, which were hilarious, before she ever did a "real" one and now it's just every once in awhile (no matter how big a fool I make of myself trying to get her to do it-LOL)

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2007, 19:21:53 pm »
Pauline that is fantastic news.  I hope the rest of your day goes as great as the morning.

Offline Lippy Chick

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • North Tyneside, UK
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2007, 20:45:32 pm »
Babies are strange.  She polished off 7oz, then 5 oz and then only took 2 oz in her last feed and cried her way through it.  We couldn't get any more into her at all, so we put her to bed.  She has actually in 4 and a half feeds, taken as much as she did yesterday though.  So we're hoping she'll sleep through.  Of course this evening could've been a blip because of the jabs.  She is normally off colour for about a week afterwards.  We'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Alice hasn't fully giggled yet, but it sounds like she's trying to and makes a wee giggle type of noise, she did it a few weeks ago and then yesterday.  I can't wait to hear her laughing properly.

We are wondering if Alice is going through a growth spurt.  However, wondering where the co-incidence is, that when we start using the playtex bottles all her feeds subsequently (apart from the last one this evening) have improved.  We actually got out today, because she'd finished her feed quicker, we went for a walk to the park.

Health Visitor coming tomorrow.  I do hope her weight gain has remained steady.
Pauline
Alice (30th March 2007)

« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2007, 21:38:07 pm »
Pauline - glad to hear Alice has taken as much today as she did yesterday.  I am sure she will sleep through for you ;)
She could very well be going through a growth spurt.  And I am so happy to hear you finally got out for a walk.  So refreshing isn't it?