Author Topic: Baby Sign Language Thread #3  (Read 71345 times)

Offline muddyfeet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
  • New Apron
Re: Baby Sign Language Thread #3
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2010, 17:32:02 pm »
Mine has used her entire hand in front of her mouth, fingers splayed open, for eating. Good enough for me. That's how she puts everything in her mouth anyway. She's sort of a walking, pie-in-the-face kind of gal!

Offline Rileysmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2010, 19:45:34 pm »
Yay Jo, that is so exciting!  ;D

Offline teilvnav

• Showing Appreciation 90
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2010, 21:16:24 pm »
Nathan has been signing "all done' for a few months now, and his new sign is 'more'. Finally! He associates it with food, but that is ok because that is when I use it for him the most. Now that he knows it, we can apply it to other things. Yay!
Amy

Offline *Jo*

• Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2010, 21:56:57 pm »
so now the question is... how do i get him to use these signs for when he ACTUALLY wants a drink or food etc??

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2010, 22:12:05 pm »
Is it too late to join in at 13MO? We use sign for potty but not much else. Dumb question do you just use BSL or ASL dependent on where you live or are there baby signs?

Offline *Jo*

• Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2010, 22:18:57 pm »
I use Auslan but it doesnt matter, as long as you understand what they are saying. for example the sign for Nappy is by the nappy but he does it above his head, doesnt matter cos i know what he means :)

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2010, 22:21:40 pm »
Thanks.

Offline Nauvoo

• Showing Appreciation 43
    • Concrete Picture Frames
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2010, 16:56:53 pm »
Rileysmum,
I think we have a common interest among our LO's.  Mine is obsessed with the baby signing time DVD's and we also rent them from the library.  I've found that it has increased her ability to sign by 10 fold.  So much for my teachings. :)  She always wants to watch them and has to be limited, and like your LO won't watch anything else.  She also says the word when she signs.  Also, the more she watches them the more she picks up and loves to sign what she has learned.  It is soooo much easier to communicate with her now.  My favorite is when she cries she'll stop right in the middle of crying and sign and say "cry" and then pick up crying again.  Too funny.  I love that she identifies with the emotion though.
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

[url=http://concretepicture.wordpress.com]Concrete Picture
Frames[

MummyToBen

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2010, 19:24:31 pm »
Is it too late to join in at 13MO? We use sign for potty but not much else. Dumb question do you just use BSL or ASL dependent on where you live or are there baby signs?
Have you ever watched the programme Something Special on cbeebies? It's SO good - Ben is always coming out with new signs now - even things like "vet" and "king and queen"  :o :D!! 

We also found these books really useful - I get them out from the library - http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-First-Signs-Baby-Signing/dp/1904550045 There are a few in the series.  Like Jo said, it doesn't really matter what signs you use as long as you both understand them and use them consistently.  Today I even made up a sign - for porcupine  :P - as Ben is crazy about them!!
x

Offline heathernlucas

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2010, 19:34:22 pm »
My lo is almost 14 months old and has been signing several words for 2 months now and learns new signs pretty quickly but he doesn't verbally say any words but dada and sometimes mama. Is it normal for little ones his age just sign a word and not even try to say it? I just thought I would hear another word by now. :(

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2010, 21:09:35 pm »
I will look into cbeebies thanks.

Well I started with a few signs today and DS signed potty while he was eating his dinner after he did a (TMI warning) toot. I couldn't bel;ieve it. I put him on so quickly and he went. It was fab. Previously he has clapped his hands like we do when he goes but because he does this at other times too it can get confusing. I will stick with it and try to get some books.

Offline Rileysmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2010, 02:37:55 am »
My favorite is when she cries she'll stop right in the middle of crying and sign and say "cry" and then pick up crying again.  Too funny.  I love that she identifies with the emotion though.
That is so cute!  ;D

tigerlilly905

« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2010, 03:09:35 am »
Hi everyone.. I'm actually just starting to learn about the baby sign language now in the hopes to introduce it to my l/o soon... (even though I know they say it's best to start around 6 mths+, for my own practice, I might start doing some basic signs soon just to get in the habit) We've printed some charts with the basics - ex: "more", "milk", "potty" ect. ect. and keep the charts on the fridge... it's a good reminder for DH and I.  Looking forward to following the thread. :)

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2010, 12:06:13 pm »
I wouldn't say it's "best" to start at 6 months... it's probably "best" to start at birth  ;)  The sooner you get in the habit, the sooner it will be so super natural to you to be doing the signs and the faster your lo will pick up on them.

Yes, it's normal for kids not to say the words and just sign them.  Make sure you are also saying the words along with the sign.  Sign language has not proved to inhibit the verbal language, but if you are concerned about development, please talk to your doctor.  Don't stop the sign language... best thing to do if there is a speech delay is to continue with the signing!

Jane - I know the ASL sign for summer, not the BSL one though  :-\

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

tigerlilly905

« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2010, 13:58:48 pm »
:) Thanks Rachel ... like anything, I guess the sooner you start, the sooner it does become second nature.  It will be fun to add signing into our day.