Author Topic: 8.5 month twins, night waking and early morning waking,  (Read 27173 times)

Offline Buttonbobs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
Re: 8.5 month twins, night waking and early morning waking,
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2014, 18:00:14 pm »
Hugs honey, thank you so much for all that info, it will help and I will be back later once DD is asleep to data few things. I'm sure Laura will have some really helpful tips too.

Xx
~ Naomi ~

Offline 4isstillnighttime

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2014, 18:06:33 pm »
Thank you so much!!! :-\

Laura - they were fine in their 4 hours, took them upstairs at their first sleepy sign but then they were really hard to settle - we had visitors and I think the excitement masked the tiredness if that makes sense??

Offline Sarah - Enfys' Mum

• Showing Appreciation 76
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2014, 18:12:09 pm »
Completely.  Visitors are MUCH more exciting than sleep. 

Offline babybarr

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2014, 08:13:27 am »
How was last night? I was thinkin of you when I was up every hour! I'm sure if we get our heads together we may be able to get ourselves more sleep. Well I can hope. I'm going to see if another twin mum I know can join us.
LAURA xx

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2014, 08:41:21 am »
Pretty grim. C up at 9:30 and 10:30 but easy to resettle. Then fed at midnight and 3, went straight back to sleep. Awake at 3:30 but resettled. Awake at 4:30 and went back to sleep with shh pat but woke up as soon as I stopped, so I did it for half an hour! Then awake at 5 and screaming hysterically, got her up at half 5 and she was fine instantly. Z fed at 2 and 4:30 but awake (but happy) from 5. Just put them down for 9.30 nap but they have been miserable since 8:30.

How were your 2? Little monkeys these babies!!!

Offline babybarr

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2014, 08:47:22 am »
Read my thread! Sounds like your night!

I'm thinking about putting J in our room in a travel cot for a couple of nights to see how well H sleeps - could that be an option for you?

I also think that your nap is too long too late in the day and there's not enough A time before bed, I find my two don't do well sleeping later in the day (and that may be the reason for my bad night last night)  I think you should aim for a 12.30pm/1pm till 2pm - 2.30pm and bed between 6.30pm and 7pm especially as they're waking so early.  I'd cap the morning nap at say 45mins and bring the second nap earlier.
LAURA xx

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2014, 09:03:05 am »
Ok, but keep the first nap at 9:30? Because even if I cap it at 45 mins at 1 they would have had less than 3h A, and short a means long A during the night for us. Also, I am usually on my own at bedtime and any more than 3:30 A before bed ends in a screaming meltdown and me having to pat to sleep, which I am trying to avoid as I will then end up doing it all night. I'll give it a shot (I'd try anything at this stage, if you told me to put them to nap on the dining table i would!) but I can't work out my EASY....

Offline babybarr

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2014, 09:11:00 am »
Will they nap 2hrs? or are they a bit inconsistent? Will they still be up a lot if you did longer A before bed even with a shorter A in the middle? just thinking out loud!  Also if you cap the nap they won't need as long an A time in the middle.
LAURA xx

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2014, 09:15:20 am »
Won't nap 2 hours. 1.5 is our record I think. And unless we have a reasonable A they will only do 45 mins.....

I really appreciate you helping me out, esp as you must be knackered!! Can't imagine how your brain is still working at all after your night!!

Offline babybarr

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2014, 09:22:16 am »
It's not! I may just be talking rubbish! ;) We don't really get 2hr naps either.

So you could do 1st nap at 9.30 - 10.15 and second at 1.30 till 3pm? and bedtime at 6.30ish?
LAURA xx

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2014, 09:29:37 am »
Yes, could do that I reckon. Will give it a shot and let you know. God, I hate waking them from naps though!!!!

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2014, 15:31:53 pm »
Hey guys,

Just a thought - only because this is what I had to do with E - she needed a longer first A and a full nap was good after that. We never got a good nap after a reduced A time (even following a capped first nap) so we went for a long morning nap and a short afternoon CN instead. I don't wish to suggest you move things around suddenly without trying Laura's suggestions first, but I just wonder if this pattern might suit your LOs better.

I'm just getting so sad about it, we are all so tired and miserable, my boobs hurt and I feel like a rotten mummy. I don't want to go back to work at all, I don't want to stop BFing, I don't want to give them formula. But I have to do all of these things and it's breaking my heart, esp as I'm so tired all the time. Pathetic!

Not at all pathetic honey, and you are not a rotten mummy - you are managing incredibly well!!

I do think that although you want to reduce day milk feeds due to heading back to work, and this reverse cycling can work from a feeding point of view, this wil only work if you are happy to accept lots of night feeds instead. It may not be the best thing overall for you and your LOs. I don't wish to tell you what to do as this is such a personal decision, but if I were you, I'd probably want to work more towards getting more milk into them in the daytime (even if this means using formula as well as BM) and try and help us all get some more sleep.

This is easy for me to say as E and I couldn't work out the feeding thing so only managed 7 weeks - 8.5months of BFing twins sounds like incredible work to me :) I do remember how awful it felt giving formula and bottles though so would never push you to try it if it makes you unhappy.

I have wondered that about the feeds. The health visitor suggested solids before milk but tbh she is a little weird

This is a little odd. The usual "food is for fun until one" advice means that milk is suggested before solids. This is so that they take more milk rather than filling up on less nutritious solids, but also so that with BLW they are not "too hungry" when you offer finger foods. If you are following BLW it is likely that your LOs will take what they need from solids but they could still eat more than they need at this stage and take less milk in the day, leaving them more hungry at night and more prone to waking.

Are you heading back to work soon honey? Remember that there is a lot of change in the next couple of months. BLW babies often need more milk feeds a little later as they are taking in less from the solids. In the next couple of months they may drop one or two day feeds naturally anyway. E was on four day feeds plus a DF at 8.5 months, but had dropped the DF at 10 months and went to 3 day feeds a little after that. If you're not back at work too soon, you may be able to keep going and let things change naturally while you work on getting those night feeds down a bit and getting you all some more sleep.

If you are heading back quite soon, and you want to try and get rid of the night feeds too (you may choose to keep them) then we can come up with a plan.

((Hugs))
~ Naomi ~

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2014, 15:33:30 pm »
Also, was just browsing the site and spotted this, you might find the posts from everyone a little reassuring:

Advice on transition to going back to work
~ Naomi ~

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2014, 18:10:20 pm »
You are all amazing, thank you so much!! Here us my plan for your perusal.

1 I will stop trying to force feed them a at supper time. This was the hv's idea and it has really gone against the grain. Yesterday and today we just did standard blw suppers and they took good feeds at bedtime, and last night I didn't have to feed til midnight, where it had been earlier than this.

2. I'm going to give them a cup of formula and an orange (their favourite!!) as a snack when they wake up from their first nap. We sometimes miss this feed anyway so this will be extra. If it works well
I will then do the same with the other daytime feed after a few days.

3. I capped their first nap today and got a short second nap too, which has been fairly disastrous!! Practically it would work much better for me to have a long first nap and short second as if we wanted to go out it could be in the pushchair. I also get v anxious about naps so if the first one is a good one I can relax a bit!! I will keep the late first nap and maybe try for longer A before bed - they've done 4 hours this evening so we'll see what happens. Short, late first nap has given us grumpy babies and hasn't done anything for the EW. And tbh I can cope with 5:30 if I have to!!

4. I will try to relax about it. I feel that they should be sleeping through, should be down to 3 bf a day, etc, because my NCT friends have babies who are. But my babies are bright, beautiful and charming and I'd rather have them with all their challenges than anyone else's baby. I knew having kids was going to be hard work and I have to go with my instincts a bit more!!

I'm back at work in 6 weeks so there's still time for things to change.  And I would like more sleep...but their babyhood is v short in the grand scheme of things!!

Thanks again, and I'll keep you posted. Feel like I've got my mummy mojo back a bit!!

Xxxxxxxxxxxx to you alll

Offline babybarr

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2014, 18:22:48 pm »
We've been doing long am nap and then whatever they do it the afternoon for the same reasons I just thought it might work for you. Sorry I caused you two grumpy babes I def wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I think it sounds like you're following your instincts which sometimes can be hard to find but this is def the right course of action and prob bouncing ideas has hopefully helped. Keep us posted.
LAURA xx