Author Topic: breastfeeding twins  (Read 10081 times)

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: breastfeeding twins
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2014, 02:10:30 am »
Just popping on to send good BF vibes for today! :-*
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2014, 02:42:38 am »
ITA with Liz about smaller babies.  James was my smallest and those first weeks were so tricky as he wanted to sleep all the time.  And then I felt like he just needed to get bigger and eat all the time!  :)
(((Hugs))) you're doing great!

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2014, 06:15:17 am »
Supplementing is absolutely fine if that is what it takes to survive and enjoy! FWIW, I read recently on one of their pages that if 50% is breastmilk, the babies get all the benefits as well!

Having helpers there is the MOST natural thing. In most other countries people would consider it mental to try and do it yourself. I tried to be supermum after my section and within four days I was in hospital with a seizure. Don't do ANY housework, but delegate (as leaving everything would stress you out, find people to help with the housework instead of the holding the twins, which is what everyone really wants to do instead  ;) ). Sleep as much as you can, lay down with them both snuggled up to you and big boy with you with a toy or book or TV or something.

Offline kayra

• Showing Appreciation 60
  • 2 for 1!!
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2014, 10:24:05 am »
thanks everyone!
Yes I feel that the top ups are too much but they want to take it and often don't settle without it, they haven't thrown up or anything either. But I will try and decrease it more. I am feeling hopeful that in a couple months I might be able to ebf, but i'm not putting pressure on myself. I'd say they're easily getting 50% breastmilk.
I'm not doing any housework, bless her my mum is doing the vast majority with my dad and dh helping out, friends are bringing food off and on.
Lena who is smaller does seem especially concentrated on eating and sleeping and growing. Mika has grown loads! They're suck is getting stronger so I'm hoping that once they get less sleepy as they nurse they'll get more and more of my milk. During the day they're latched on so frequently I daren't pump incase they want to nurse and I don't have much to give..

Our angel Victor 06.11.10  We miss you, but look forward to the day we will see you again my love 1Cor. 15
Angel, April 2011

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2014, 14:34:27 pm »
I'm sure it's draining and difficult but you make it sound lovely somehow.  You're doing an amazing job!!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2014, 14:56:35 pm »
Glad you have lots of help Kayra, sounds like things are going really well! I wouldn't be worried about pumping and having none left...that is the magical thing with bf - they never truly run out ;)

Okay and wow - one week old twins and you have tickers up?? High five on that!
Heidi

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2014, 15:24:55 pm »
Kayra you're doing AMAZING :D no advice, but many (((hugs))) and lots of support for you xx

Offline kayra

• 2 for 1!!
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2014, 17:03:42 pm »
hehe, yes I probably should have been doing something more productive but fancied doing the tickers ;)

I think another nice thing about having my parents here is that as I'm sitting around breastfeeding during the day I have people to chat with without worrying about my boobs hanging out the whole time :P

So since bf at night is more important what do you think if at every feed I gave them both sides? So instead of half an hourish (I don't pull them off at 30min they often bob off around then themselves but it doesn't seem to mean they're full) on one side, how about I did 15min per side (to stimulate both sides at each feed), or would that stop them from getting the hind milk?

I actually pumped this afternoon and got a fair bit more from one side so that was encouraging. I did end up feeding Lena on that side just an hour after pumping and she seemed to find enough to suck on. I wanted to give less formula but they just kept rooting! I bf again, still rooting, i don't understand how they can take so much!

Our angel Victor 06.11.10  We miss you, but look forward to the day we will see you again my love 1Cor. 15
Angel, April 2011

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2014, 18:05:43 pm »
Do you think some of it is just comfort sucking? Do they take a soother at all? I know here they don't recommend a soother until bf is well established but with DD1 & DD3 they had one from day one and it turned out fine (erm besides the soother addiction later that is :P).
Heidi

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2014, 18:28:57 pm »
Do they take a soother at all? I know here they don't recommend a soother until bf is well established but with DD1 & DD3 they had one from day one and it turned out fine
Yup my LO1 needed a soother for comfort sucking, he had it from day 3 or so, he found it really calming, and he was a touchy baby so needed every bit of help he could get.  He didn't suffer from any 'confusion' as a result either!
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2014, 18:54:55 pm »
What about when they bob off after half hour offering the second breast then? I would definitely let them drain the first side rather than switch them based on the clock. As you say they will get less hind milk if you switch sides too early.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2014, 00:05:23 am »
Do you think some of it is just comfort sucking? Do they take a soother at all? I know here they don't recommend a soother until bf is well established but with DD1 & DD3 they had one from day one and it turned out fine (erm besides the soother addiction later that is :P).
Same here :P
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline kayra

• 2 for 1!!
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2014, 10:06:18 am »
havent used a dummy yet for reasons you mentioned, it could be comfort sucking but they are often rooting too. if they're not hungry yet not settling generally just being held for a good while settles them-my parents are able to do that. DS1 did use a dummy to fall asleep in his first month but then wouldnt touch it, but b/c he just had the bottle i think overall he was getting less suck time than these guys.
i do try tickling, blowing etc sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt..
my mum and i think that M can get more off my breast than L which makes sense she's a fair bit smaller, although their birthweight wasnt hugely different she lost more and he regained sooner so now is at least half a kg more than her if not more. so i'll be giving her more of what i pump.
we're renting a hospital style pump today (they were out of stock last week so had to make do with a regular one) hopefully that'll help a bit.
Last night wasnt too good, I'm looking forward to when i can synch them.
unfortunately they find my left breast harder to latch onto-i remember on the few days I bf'ed DS1 that was an issue too-so now i'm unsure about switching sides, during the night at least, i think it'll be just too stressful. but i could try during the day after they've bobbed off like you say.
thanks for all the support!

Angel, April 2011

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2014, 18:08:39 pm »
Perhaps try a different hold if you can (not sure if that is possible if you are feeding two at once) so that they are lying on the side they are normally when feeding from the right breast. Hope that makes sense.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2014, 18:12:31 pm »
With time they will latch both sides without issue. I remember Jacob having a favourite in the early days as well - and that meant that side ended up harder and firmer and more difficult to latch again  :-\. Smaller babies with lazier latches again I think  ::).