Author Topic: Should I allow a longer nap for ew  (Read 17140 times)

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: April 16, 2018, 06:44:59 am »
Hi, my little girl 32 months has always been hit and miss re sleep as most are we have had periods of early wake up which to be fair have pretty much sorted themselves out with little help as when I’ve tried to intervene it just makes it worse 🤦‍♀️

The problem I’m having at the minute is she is waking early, before 6am, not entirely sure exactly when as she does stay quiet in her room, I tend to wake up myself and happen to check on her on the monitor and she’s wide awake, rolling around the bed.

The main problem is she’s a miserable cranky mess by lunchtime and will then try and take a longer nap to compensate for the early wake up. What happens then is this will result in a later bedtime but still an early wake up, if that makes sense?

My question is, should I be consistent and keep the nap capped at an hour which is her average? The issue I have is if it goes more towards and hour and a half it affects bedtime 🤦‍♀️🙄

Yesterday we had a lovely morning out planned but. Y lunchtime she had a massive tired meltdown! She had a car nap on our way home for about 55 mins and I put her to bed earlier but again she’s been up with the larks this morning.

Her room is blacked out and there are no noises that wake her. She does occasionally wake to use the potty but when she wets in her pull up she can stay asleep. She’s even leaked through and not woken up before now.

I’d be satisfied if she was happy and not a grumpy miserable mess all blummin day! I’d accept that maybe she’s looking to drop her nap maybe.
She’s currently bouncing round like a loon and happy as anything but my anxiety is already on the up cos I know as the morning goes on she become horrible.

I’m struggling at the minute with my anxiety as my oh has been working away for 3 months and my lo has pushed every boundary there is whilst he’s been away. All credit to my single parent friends out there, 3 months has been long enough. I don’t have any respite either apart from when I go to work and she goes to Nursery. Not really a break I know 🙄😳

Any help would be appreciated, thanks xx

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 08:30:58 am »
Anyone? I really don’t know what to do at nap time today 😳

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 18:25:49 pm »
Ok, so I went for a slightly earlier, by 15 mins, nap and let her have an hour and 15 mins. She woke less miserable than usual and has played well this afternoon. As I’m not entirely sure how early she woke this morning but I knowwas before 6 as this was when I checked on her. I put her down for just after 7 and she’s still awake and just mooching around the bed. I’m at a loss as to what to do now. She has always been ok at righting herself but I’m so scared of getting into an overtired situation I try desperately to tweak here and there. Should I just leave her be? I really don’t want to do by any earlier than 7 down as it will be too rushed and also I don’t want to start encouraging the early mornings.

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 18:30:33 pm »
Can I add it's so difficult with a child that will stay quiet in her room. Not that I’m encouraging her to start yelling for me at stupid o’clock, she willnif she isn’t well and of course I go to her then.
Sleeping and eating, it’s one or the other. She will either sleep well and be a pain with her meals or eat like a horse and the sleep goes out the window 🤦‍♀️🙄
Blummin toddlers, newborn stage was so less exhausting 😳🙈

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: Should I allow a longer nap for ew
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 19:17:37 pm »
Hi sorry you’ve had no replies and I’ve been busy at work.

It’s a good thing that’s she happy to be content in bed and in theory she is resting still.

Personally I’d cut the nap to 20 mins and do a couple ofcearlier BT just to see if you can get an 11/12 hour night and then get out of the OT/UT loop you can get in with the 1-0 nap transition.

At this age DS1 was a nightmare sleep wise for me, if I let the nap be longer than 20 mins he woke grumpy and took a good hour to cheer up then would pull a 14 hour day. FWIW we had 5.30 wake ups for a year (sorry) nothing fixed it and he’s still an early riser now of between 6/6.30 at 6 yrs old.

Sometimes we can’t fix it, DS2 is totally different and at 27 months only has an hours nap but pulls 11/12 hour nights and hardly EW’s and I’ve had same routine for both.

It must be super tough doing it alone for a while but try not to let sleep get to you too much, with any sleep transition OT can kick in but she will get through it and will catch up at some point.
Zoe

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 19:53:42 pm »
Hi, thanks hun. I guess I’m just feeling a little anxious as I’ve been on my own for so long now, hysteria is kicking in. You watch, on Wednesday when I’d like to sneak in a slightly earlier car nap on route to collect daddy from the airport, she will sleep in and then resist the nap 🤦‍♀️😂
I think she’s having a growth spurt for sure, never known her this hungry 😳. Usually she’s like a sparrow and picky as anything. She’s also super active too, lots more running and jumping and general giddiness. I’m hoping this isn’t ot 😳🙈
I do get terribly anxious over sleep 😔. I’m currently having cbt for my anxiety, I can’t explain where the fixation on sleep comes from. On holiday recently I was super chilled and lo managed to be flexible and pleasant 🙄
I need to try and chill about it but it’s hard with my anxiety 😔

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 20:02:01 pm »
Awhh well keep posting on here everyone happy to chat and help you feel less anxious.

I was very anxious with sleep with my DS1 but with DS2 I’m more relaxed because I realised DS1 survived on whatever sleep and me worrying didn’t make it better....I know easier said than done!

Keep feeding her and lots of physical stuff to tire her out  ;D
Zoe

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 20:11:14 pm »
My logic brain says just get over it as I can’t actually control her sleep. I think it’s just cos it’s been me on my own having to deal with the backlash of a tired toddler 😳🤦‍♀️
She’s just so restless in bed at the minute too. I’ve already rescued her tonight when I heard a thud as her head bounced off the wall next to her bed. She gone sideways 🤦‍♀️ 
I wouldn’t mind but she’s had a busy ish day today, swimming this morning and playing in nannas garden most of the afternoon with her cousin so lots of running about and slide etc. I then start wondering if she’s done too much and made her too tired. Then I think, just stop thinking!!!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 05:22:07 am by Conniesmummy »

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 20:12:48 pm »
Sometimes it is just a phase.

Maybe try an earlier BT just to see if it helps x
Zoe

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 20:17:35 pm »
I do hun and sometimes it works by tagging the sleep onto the start of the night but never on the end 😳

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 20:19:06 pm »
Hopefully daddy can take a few EW for you soon x
Zoe

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 20:22:08 pm »
Definitely 👍🏻😂. Thanks again for replying. I’m off to bed in a min cos surprisingly I’m pooped and got work tomorrow 🙄

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 20:33:52 pm »
Sleep well hun tomorrow’s a new day x
Zoe

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 06:03:38 am »
Typical. She woke again around 5:30 ish I’m guessing as I woke at 5:45 and checked and she looked like she’d just woken up. She has now gone back to sleep at 6:45!! And it’s time to get up now 🤦‍♀️
Jeez I hate waking her, at least it’s nursery day today so they can put up with the bad moods 😂
Nap transitions suck big time!! I’d love a nap 😴😂

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 12:21:34 pm »
Typical! Hopefully she is good for you tonight x
Zoe