Author Topic: I'm going insane with 3.5-mo hardly eating, HELP!  (Read 106507 times)

Offline lauri

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
I'm going insane with 3.5-mo hardly eating, HELP!
« on: July 17, 2007, 16:00:08 pm »
I've read the other posts on this topic, it seems that the 3 - 4 month mark seems to signal a change in eating habits, but I've changed nipples back and forth, checked gums for teeth, everything and it seems that everyday she eats less. I know they dont starve themselves, but still, you become so worried as before DD used to eat 180 cc (I think this is 6 OZ) 5 times a day, then from one day to the other just slowed down to 100 - 120 cc, so the doc suggested to change to 4 hour schedule, but even then, she just doesnt seem hungry...I used to not give her a DF becuase it disturbed her sleep and she woke earlier than if I didnt do a late night feed, but now Ive gone back to DF-ing just because otherwise its ridiculously little that she eats during the day. I dont want to start doing night-feedings again, and so far have managed to keep her asleep till 7am, but am worried if this continues, she will be hungry in the middle of the night.

Doe anyone else have experience with this and did it pass? She does look healthy and happy.

Thanks for any suggestions! Laura
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline michD

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: I'm going insane with 3.5-mo hardly eating, HELP!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 16:59:07 pm »
I don't have any advice, but can share in your problems, my LO is 18 weeks now and somedays he won't eat in 12 hours!  this would be over the night and into the next day, i have to really struggle with him and eventually he'll take it if i am persistent, then he gobbles it down so fast he chokes so much.  it is very frustrating as he has already doubled his birthweight and according to calculations should be taking approx 38oz of milk a day - well at the moment on EASY he is only taking a max of 25!
I hope someone on here will have some good advice.
Oh and my LO is definatley teething, but the gnawing on things and drooling can go on for several weeks if not months until the teeth finally pop up.  i think it can affect their feeding habits too.  hang in there.  i find when i am feeding i make a very loud shshsh sound and it kind of distracts him from anything else and i rock in the rocking chair - normally then he will drink well.
good luck!

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 19:34:34 pm »
Laura,

There may not be any signs of teeth actually popping through.  It can be quite painful for a lo when their teeth start moving up in the gums.  If you think that your lo is teething and is really fussy during feeds, I would consider rubbing a bit of teething gel on her gums a few minutes before a feed and see if that helps ease her discomfort.

Paula
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline lauri

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 09:38:32 am »
Thanks Paula and Mich,

She doesnt seem to be fussy during the feeding, just not hungry and bored actually, she will only want to smile.. Since 2 days she also has been waking up at around 3 am and will take a 100cc bottle...arghh, its like we're taking steps backwards...

How long does this last??

Offline lauri

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 09:42:19 am »
ohh, I forgot to mention that since a week she has been making rolling-over attempts and last night, she actually roled over twice and was awake making lots of noise and wide awake untill I rolled her over into her sleep position again - could the decrease in appetite and sudden night wakings have to do with this new thing she discovered she can do??

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 20:40:15 pm »
The night wakings can definitely be developmental.  I guess the feeding could too.  She has learnt a new trick, and wants to constantly practice it.

Does she not eat better on a faster flow teat?

Offline grahamsmama

• Showing Appreciation 38
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 00:15:51 am »
We're dealing with the same thing.  Dd is 16 weeks, almost 17 weeks.  The past week she hasn't been eating well at all.  She'll take only 1-1.5 ounces at a time and then start pushing the bottle away.  If you persist she'll scream and spit the formula out.  I do wonder if it's something developmental since so many babies at this age seem to be refusing to eat. 
I thought teething, so I tried Orajel, Tylenol, cold formula, warm formula, cold washclothes, changed the bottle nipples, etc
Then I thought she was bored, so I changed to the stage 2 nipple and she refused it.  We switched to a 3.5 hour EASY and then a 4 hour EASY with no improvement
Finally I thought it was reflux so we went to the doctor and put her on Zantac and thickened her formula with cereal
Nothing has made any difference.  Today she's only taken 17 ounces.  She's 15.2 pounds, so it should be closer to 30. 
She seems pretty happy though.  I just wish she would eat!

Offline Lippy Chick

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • North Tyneside, UK
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 09:39:33 am »
My daughter is 16 weeks today and has been doing exactly the same thing for just over a week now.  She takes the first 60mls no problem, then refuses the rest and just isn't interested.  If we try to give it to her she screams and pushes the bottle away, turns her head away or tries to push the bottle out with her tongue.  We giver her a break, change her nappy and go back to it after about 20mins-30mins and she'll take another 30mls but cry a bit initially.  Then try again in about 5-10mins and she'll take another 30mls.  A health visitor I saw suggested feeding her every 2-2.5 hours to make sure she gets enough food in as that's an extra feed, but we feel like we're going backwards too.  Last night she woke every two hours!!!!  We managed to get her back to sleep each time and then my husband fed her at 5am.  The BW does say that at around 4-6 months they can just become so interested in the world around that feeding is the last thing she wants to do and to ride it out for 1-2 weeks.  I have my health visitor coming out this afternoon to talk about it and see what we can come up with.  It is very worrying because she's not a big baby at all, she was 12lb 4oz on Wednesday, so we don't want this to affect her weight.

I have been thinking about going onto the Jan/Feb  07 board and asking if anyone has experienced the same thing and how long it took to pass etc.

I know exactly how you feel, it is highly frustrating and very upsetting.  People have suggested giving her a bit of baby rice to see if the change will help if she's bored.  Also teething, not sure it is though.  Also teats, she's already on a medium flow, etc etc...  We do wonder if it's digestive because she does pull her legs up when she cries too and then after a few minutes will vomit a bit and then settle down.  SOOOOO frustrating!

Must go she's awake after 45mins on the dot!!!
Pauline
Alice (30th March 2007)

The Lord is my Shepherd, I'll not want.

[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/ezb/1097063.png[/img]

Offline Lippy Chick

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • North Tyneside, UK
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 18:13:38 pm »
I saw the HV today and she says it's purely developmental and to just ride it out.  She said there's no real evidence to prove this but anecdotally loads of parents complain at the 16 week mark that everything has changed and that it's really challenging, but that by week 20 they've generally gone back to normal.  We're going to weigh her in two weeks and if I need them in the meantime they're there to talk.  She also said that we'll keep an eye on her vomiting after every feed, as she could be developing reflux.  Also that she was showing signs today of potentially teething.  However, she said that you don't really know they're teething for sure until that first tooth comes through.  She suggested trying a different type of formula which is more gentle on their tummies because of her wind.  Also to give her a wee drink of water every now and again.  I asked about starting to use a cup and she said it'll do no harm to try it.  So she suggested one to try.  She said that she really doesn't think there's anything wrong, but it's just one of those things that can happen and just to ride it out.  Great!!  She said that she's so alert and will become bored easily of her activities and need to do more.  Which we're certainly noticing.

Don't know if this helps you.

Pauline
Alice (30th March 2007)

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 20:30:26 pm »
One thing I can suggest is trying to feed your lo in a quiet room where there are no distractions, this can help especially if they are at that stage where they want to know everything.

Lippy Chick - with regards to starting rice cereal, I would definitely hold off on this - The current guidelines suggest only starting solids at 6 months old.  Rice cereal is really empty calories, so will not be giving her any nourishment.  I would stick to the milk at this stage, especially if you are not getting as much in her as normal, as it is her main source of nutrician.  Are you in the UK?  Cow and Gate do a really good formula that is easy on the tummy, it is called Comfort - might be worth a try.

HTH's

Paula

Offline grahamsmama

• Showing Appreciation 38
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 20:31:07 pm »
Thanks Pauline!  It actually helps a lot.  Let's all post if this just goes away on it's own.  Actually, if it does this would make a good sticky.  So good to know Meghan is "normal!"  :)

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 20:32:31 pm »
I'll make this a sticky now

Offline Lippy Chick

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • North Tyneside, UK
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 21:09:06 pm »
Glad I could be of some help.

Paula.  I asked the HV about baby rice and she was very adamant about not doing it so soon.  She suggested Omnio Comfort, (I am in the UK) is that what you're talking about?  My husband is going out to try and find some tomorrow.  Thanks for that.

Funnily enough (no frustratingly) she took 120mls in about 6 mins when the HV was here and then finished off a 180ml bottle within the hour.  Made me out to be a right liar!!!  The next feed was as normal, (for the time being anyway) first 60 and then a struggle.  She is really tired at the moment too.  I think she would go down to sleep as soon as the feed finished.  Of it is developmental then she may be tired too, as whatever changes she's going through take effect. 

Think I've resigned myself for this being her "normal" at the moment and just putting up with it.  Not much fun but at least we get loads of wee smiles, which are just heart melting.  Poor wee thing hasn't a clue what's happening to her.

Will definitely post if things seem to improve.

We've tried darkening the room and turning off TV, radio, made no difference.  Tried distracting her, made no difference.  Just one of those wee enigmas, we may never fully understand.
Pauline
Alice (30th March 2007)

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 21:24:03 pm »
Pauline,

Yes Omneo Comfort is the one I am talking about - They have dropped the Omneo now and just called it comfort.  You can get it at ASDA, Tesco, and most pharmacies - mostly in the bigger stores.  Helen (Ennypen) one of our global moderators swears by Comfort - she had many problems with William with regards to gas etc, and she said that it made the world of difference.

Hugs, I know it is frustrating, but things will improve I promise.

Offline Lippy Chick

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • North Tyneside, UK
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2007, 11:25:46 am »
Thanks.  We got some Comfort today. 

However, she slept 11 hours last night (needed to be woken) and has taken both her feeds so far, well.  She has taken half her daily intake in just two feeds out of five.  She has barely cried at all today and seems much like the happy wee baby we're used to.  She took her last feed in 35 mins, rather than screaming because she doesn't want it and so taking an hour.  So we're hoping that whatever it was is passing.  The not wanting to feed started about a week and a half ago.  We'll see.  We're not going to change her feed at the moment, we'll see how things go.

Pauline
Pauline
Alice (30th March 2007)