Author Topic: Working moms/mums - come share tips and get support too! #2  (Read 77038 times)

Offline MummaB

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Working moms/mums - come share tips and get support too! #2
« Reply #420 on: May 22, 2012, 04:34:35 am »
I hope you all are right about our LO adjusting to daycare.  First day in daycare...2x40min naps over a 9 hour period.  We carefully explained our routine, which of course they could not follow.  But I couldn't believe they actually kept him up for 3.5 hours at one point!  He's only 4 months and was majorly overtired.  My anxiety just went through the roof when I saw what they did with him.

I was also surprised to see that he ate less at daycare.  Does he just need some adjustment and he'll start eating more again?

Work went ok.  I had a really busy schedule between appointments and squeezing in pumping times that I barely had time to worry.  I'll probably worry more tomorrow, knowing how badly things went today.  The logistics of pumping so much was certainly putsy.  I work mostly with men, so the idea of walking around with bottles of milk is a bit uncomfortable (on both sides, I'm sure!)  I kept transporting multiple cooler bags to the fridge - moving them into a drawer of the fridge to be discreet.  My door is a bit thin too, and I was getting self-conscious of the dying cow sounds my pump was emitting into the clinic.  I think I need to start playing music on my phone or something.   Hopefully I get a more seamless routine down soon.

I keep telling myself, "this will get better."  Boy, I hope I'm right.  :-\

Offline jennandsophie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 24
« Reply #421 on: May 22, 2012, 13:55:32 pm »
Just giving you encouragement MummaB.  It WILL get better.  It'll take some weeks of adjustment for you DS and you.  Not too impressed with your caregivers keeping him up that long!  Being professionals, they should really know better.  Are you happy with the place otherwise?  You may need to re-evaluate if they don't respond to your requests.

Good for you that you've continued pumping at work.  I didn't do that with DD, just BFed first thing in the morning and bedtime.  DS would give her formula for the other two day feeds.  You're doing the best you can.  I find men generally wish to avoid all knowledge of "women's issues" so even if they know you're pumping they don't want to talk about it and will just ignore it. 
Jennifer - mom to Sophie and Jonas

Offline Yazzie

• Showing Appreciation 63
  • Mummy's angel
« Reply #422 on: May 23, 2012, 22:54:15 pm »
Sending you loads of vibes MummaB - it DOES get better, I promise xx
Adam's Mum

Offline MummaB

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #423 on: May 26, 2012, 03:17:16 am »
Thank you all for the encouragement!

We survived our first week.  It definitely got better.  After a lot of good conversations with the daycare, we got them to taper his A time to 2/2.5 hours.  It's still a bit long for him, but he was getting at least 1 long nap by thursday and friday (1.5-2 hours).  And best of all, he was less of a zombie by the time we got him home.  Thankfully, he is still STTN as well.

Pumping has been interesting.  My little guy eats a lot...usually 6oz a feed.  I'm used to getting 6-8oz in my morning and evening pumping sessions, but during the day I'm only getting about 4-5 oz.  My total oz with the AM and late night pumping is still a bit over what he is consuming, but it makes me a bit nervous that my supply will drop a touch and we'll have to supplement.  I'm trying to get a pumping session for each missed feed, but sometimes timing just doesn't work when I come home so late and miss his last feed...I'd rather spend time finishing his night routine than pumping!  Luckily I know that even if I end up supplementing, he's still getting some breastmilk, which is better than nothing.

Offline lidiayy

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #424 on: May 26, 2012, 16:40:46 pm »
MummaB, i am glad you're feeling better  with the situation. And the fact that he's taking one long nap is fantastic! I wish my DD2 could sleep longer at daycare. She is right now napping, making up for the bad naps she has on weekdays.

Regarding to pumping, ikwym by being feeling that your supply could drop. What I can tell you is that mine oscilates from day to day and I have roughly the same output and then I drink loads of water, fennel tea and eat oat to increase it again. :-\

Keep the positive thinking, You're doing a great job!  ;D

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #425 on: May 26, 2012, 19:36:57 pm »
I am working 3 days a week and find after aong weekend my supply is up compared to when I have worked a couple days so I think feeding him extra on my days off is working to boost my supply.
What bras are you guys wearing to work? Not sure if I should buy some non nursing ones but I guess they must still be without underwire?
I was fiddling with the clasp on Friday while I was in a meeting and it accidently came undone so I had to finish with one savvy breast and one pert until I could rehook it. This is why I think I must get some which do not unhook. Lol.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #426 on: May 26, 2012, 21:28:18 pm »
LOL!  A bit awkward, but I love the autocorrect (presumably should've been saggy, but love the idea of savvy breasts!) ;)
*** Amanda ***

Offline MummaB

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #427 on: May 26, 2012, 23:52:50 pm »
lydiayy - I forgot about fennel tea and oatmeal.  good reminders!

I've actually been wearing some underwire nursing bras - my doctor said that they should be fine past 8 weeks.

LOL! I liked the idea of a savvy breast  ;)  That had to be a bit awkward!

Offline jennandsophie

« Reply #428 on: May 27, 2012, 01:50:18 am »
I've always worn the underwire nursing ones as the other ones are not supportive enough, in my opinion. 

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #429 on: May 27, 2012, 08:51:58 am »
Oh dear. Yes autocorrect but I like savvy better. I have never seen nursing with underside! Maybe I will just go back to my regular ones then if I don't have to avoid it anymore. The underwire is much better support for sure.

Offline jennandsophie

« Reply #430 on: May 28, 2012, 14:38:05 pm »
They don't sell many of them here either, but the one I have is made by Playtex.  The only thing I don't like is that when you unclip it, the clip is really close to the baby's eye.  You really have to watch that you yank it all the way down and away from their face.

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #431 on: May 28, 2012, 21:16:20 pm »
ah autocorrected again! Underwire not underside. i have been wearing my old underwired ones and they are so much better and prettier!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #432 on: May 28, 2012, 22:13:23 pm »
I thought i'd join in here too ladies- i'm back at work at my proper job next week. I'll be starting on a 5 day fortnight- 2  days one week 3 another- but then up to 3 days after a while.. not looking forward to it- but i am looking forward to the money. Mum will have hamish and he LOVES going to her house- he's been going a day a eek for about 4 months as i have been doing 1 day a week teaching at the uni- so there's not a problem for him- it's just ME that doesn't like it!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #433 on: May 28, 2012, 22:15:39 pm »
oh- crap- is this thread just about working and breastfeeding? I got confused and thought it was just about working... Although i am working and breastfeeding- .. I did LOL at the savvy breast!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline jennandsophie

« Reply #434 on: May 29, 2012, 00:00:37 am »
Katy, I don't think this thread is about anything in particular - just working mums sharing their experiences, so welcome!  Sounds like you have a great set up for returning to work, with your mum able to look after H.  I really, really wish I had that option but alas my mum lives in Hawaii.  My only option would be to hire a nanny or daycare.  I guess I trust daycare more because it's a group environment rather than one on one.