Author Topic: Baby Sign Language Thread #3  (Read 71344 times)

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 123
Re: Baby Sign Language Thread #3
« Reply #300 on: June 24, 2011, 07:48:18 am »
Who knows what peter signs are. Funny enough my sign tutor was a peter. I meant several and was on my phone so predictor text gone wrong.

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #301 on: June 28, 2011, 00:03:04 am »
The reason 5 (or so) signs are recommended at first is for YOUR benefit.  It's hard to remember to sign (and speak) those frequent words every time, so if you limit yourself to just a few, you have a greater chance at remembering to do them.  If you take on the whole vocab at once, you may forget, and the more they see a sign, the sooner they will pick it up.

As someone said, deaf people sign all the time, baby is cool with that ;)

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #302 on: June 28, 2011, 00:46:25 am »
Well I have only really been doing 3 signs with F - more, milk, and all done.  And he has been signing all 3 back to me!  We only started a few weeks ago.  I need to remember to incorporate more signs in.  Last week we went to a short baby signing class at the Early Years Centre.  They pretty much just showed a dvd, and we didn't make it through the whole thing because T got impatient, but still got to learn a few.  We're going again tomorrow.  I'm so impressed that he has picked them up already.  :)

Oh and T is doing the signs too which is really cute.  I never signed with him, but it's still kinda cool to see him doing them now.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Chicane

• Showing Appreciation 103
« Reply #303 on: June 28, 2011, 06:37:41 am »
Martina - FYI if you go back a few pages i posted up some sites where you can look up hundreds of signs...

Offline timmysmommy

• Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #304 on: June 28, 2011, 11:52:15 am »
Just wanted to add that T is picking up lots of signs right now!  I just introduced please and help, and he is attempting both already.  He has said several new words in the last few days too.  So fun to see him picking up things so quickly!  I need to learn a few more to teach him lol!

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #305 on: June 28, 2011, 12:01:24 pm »
Chicane, I did check out some of those.  I also borrowed a book from my chiropractor's lending library.  But hundreds is a little out of my league at the moment, so I'm just sticking to the basics.  ;)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Chicane

« Reply #306 on: June 28, 2011, 13:25:39 pm »
Martina - basics is good. You'll be surprised in the end how many varied signs you both pick up once you get into the swing.

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #307 on: June 28, 2011, 15:39:19 pm »
We had our little class this morning which was fun, actually T is doing really well with the signing!  I know lots now, it's just I forget to use them so will have to try harder.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline *Amy*

• Showing Appreciation 19
  • Originally from Ireland - Living in Dubai
« Reply #308 on: June 28, 2011, 16:07:53 pm »
I think 'more' will be dd's first one...it seems to be the one we use most often lol

Offline Chicane

« Reply #309 on: June 28, 2011, 18:33:12 pm »
Yes, more was DS first one too. Followed by biscuit!

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #310 on: June 28, 2011, 18:59:08 pm »
Followed by biscuit!
Don't teach them any signs you don't want them to know! I deliberately didn't teach Murray the sign for biscuit, etc as I was advised initially when they sign to give them what they want to teach them that signing actually gets them what they want! I kept to the generic "food" sign instead so I could choose what to offer him ;)
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #311 on: June 28, 2011, 20:36:59 pm »
I agree do not teach them biscuit! K and his 2 cousins all know it and they ask for it alot and they sign to each other like "do you want one?" then we have 3 toddlers all asking for biscuits. There is a biscuit tin at playgroup and K will see it come out from across the room and start signing to me from the top of the slide.
The speach therapist was at playgroup yesterday and I was worried that K's saying words in the wrong order (e.g. car, get, me instead of me get the car) might be from the signing, but she said that they only worry about that at 3yo so at 2yo it is perfectly normal. Phew.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #312 on: June 28, 2011, 21:27:11 pm »
I agree do not teach them biscuit! K and his 2 cousins all know it and they ask for it a lot and they sign to each other like "do you want one?" then we have 3 toddlers all asking for biscuits.
LOL. Agreed!
Cadan has started doing his own sign for finished even though I have never taught him one and he can say it. Although it sounds more like "oosh" which incidentally is how he says shoes too so it is handy that he has a little sign to accompany it when it means finished. For a while I was like "no, you don't need shoes. We're not going outside". LOL.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline *Amy*

• Showing Appreciation 19
  • Originally from Ireland - Living in Dubai
« Reply #313 on: June 29, 2011, 05:36:15 am »
Never thought of that lol ok will just do food!

Offline Chicane

« Reply #314 on: June 29, 2011, 10:14:19 am »
Ah! Wish I'd figured that one out. Well, I've just stopped buying biscuits and now when he signs it I give him a cracker. he was a little confused at first but has accepted it without trouble.

To be honest I don't think getting word order wrong is from the signing - my friends son get word order wrong all the time and they didn't do signs. It sounds pretty normal to me. DS does get word order wrong but I thought it probably had more to do with being semi-bilingual than signing (in Spanish the noun usually comes before the adjective etc)